Do You Remember .. Your Very First Day In Thailand ?

cognos

Our cabbie couldnt find Sea Lodge - it was cool then - as we cruised Pattaya - the babes trying to haul us into their bars. We eventually touched down - 2am - hit the pool and walked up to North Naklua & hit 10/20 bars - got goosed by everyone, everything, did the python, elephant thingy and walked back with 2 real babes each. Small adams. The next day they brought their friends. We partied for 10 days, then called out buddies in Perth to join us. We werent going there.

The rest is not suitable PG. Aint never changed. Neither MO. So long as they keep calling me Sexyman.

God bless Thailand.

BR>Jack

"Small adams..??" kathoey? :) jing AWWWW????

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first visit was on a visa run from Bali.

I arrived in Bkk late at night and after checking in hurried out to sample the famous night life.

The hotel was in walking distance to Patpong and when it was time to return not only did I forget the name of the hotel I also got hoplessy lost!

I didn't find my way bak untill 9am the next morning. :)

Arrived first time in Thailand by boat in Satun ( the southern border area ) .What immediately struck me was the beauty of the women and the way they carryied themselves ,and how easy they were to talk to .I then knew i had arrived in paradise ,or the nearest to it on Earth .

My first visit was on a visa run from Bali.

I arrived in Bkk late at night and after checking in hurried out to sample the famous night life.

The hotel was in walking distance to Patpong and when it was time to return not only did I forget the name of the hotel I also got hoplessy lost!

I didn't find my way bak untill 9am the next morning. :D

Good work Bob (or perhaps..ROB, ROBBY,ROBERT, ROBERTO, BOBBY..just kiddin' ya bobsyouruncle :) )..on second night went to Patong, and found a stunningly attractive young university student who was working part time in an establishment to help with her tuition :D her major was TOURISM and PR

My first trip in Thailand was a "mistake": we booked 1 week holiday to Cuba, but there were problems in Cuba and we changed (lastsecond) our trip with the first one available (Thailand).

- we followed the suggestions of some thai-guy in Don Muaeng Airport and finally we booked 2 rooms in Nana Hotel.

- then we started our evening in the Nana complex area: so crowd & funny (apparently)

- At 2 o'clock every bar, agogo closed and we were surprise (we compaired our europe clugs opening hours...and..maj koh jai a lot)

- we asked to the tuk-tuk man near us if there were some open clubs: he didn't understand NOTHING.

- he leaded us into a old and abandoned building (it seemed a school) and we were facing a Phedophil Site !

- Then we were shocked & in trouble !

Our reaction (we scared a lot but we were so angry !) was not the best choice at the moment: some thai guys striked us and warned us that better forget this story... Then they striked the thai tuk-tuk man too.

THIS WAS MY (OUR) FIRST JOURNEY IN THAILAND.

The day after we wanted come back home but no flights were availables....

This is not a Cartoon Story. This is my first trip in Thailand !

I think it was in 75 or 76, the first thing that stroke me was the heat and the special smell of all the food stands, its was like the air was filled with strange odeurs of all kinds of strange food.

My wife was visiting family in Bangkok (I met and married my wife in Belgium) and I got news that she was realy sick, I jumped in a airplane and flew over. on the way I bought some flowers and I didn't speak Thai and the woman in the flowershop no English; I just put all my Baht in my hand and make clear that she should take the money needed. She carefully took out 30 Baht, when my wife later asked howmuch I payed, she said that is impossible you paid less than Thai people normaly pay.

I do remember that the first night we stayed in Liberty hotel (250 Baht) and at 2 am I called roomservice and ordered a pepper steak with salad and french fries and a coffee it costed 50 Baht.

I think it was in 75 or 76, the first thing that stroke me was the heat and the special smell of all the food stands, its was like the air was filled with strange odeurs of all kinds of strange food.

My wife was visiting family in Bangkok (I met and married my wife in Belgium) and I got news that she was realy sick, I jumped in a airplane and flew over. on the way I bought some flowers and I didn't speak Thai and the woman in the flowershop no English; I just put all my Baht in my hand and make clear that she should take the money needed. She carefully took out 30 Baht, when my wife later asked howmuch I payed, she said that is impossible you paid less than Thai people normaly pay.

I do remember that the first night we stayed in Liberty hotel (250 Baht) and at 2 am I called roomservice and ordered a pepper steak with salad and french fries and a coffee it costed 50 Baht.

Belgium eh? I lived there 2 years when i was a kid..bet you miss THEIR french fries in a paper cone with mayo instead of ketchup..with their beer..I get why you are henryalleman..on another note au belgique: .. guess the flemish want their own country now too

I had prepared for months before I came but in reality new very little. I had arranged with my Hotel to colect me from the airport and of course after waiting an hour no one had arrived. I jumped in a private taxi for 900 odd baht which took me to the hotel where ensued many apologetic wais. I put it down as a one off mistake.............. how wrong that turned out to be. :):D

Seeing my first food cart down soi 4 and thinking I might have to head back there if I can't find anywhere to eat.

My first impression was that the city was a dump. That impression has lasted.

I arrived late at night but in the morning having a stroll round my opinion was the same.......what a dump, and like you it still remains. Once I have got some land out of Bkk and away from the madding crowd its great.

Yeah, I remember it. Despite everything I had read, I remember being nervous as I touched down at the old airport. I collected my luggage, and I tried to find my way to the taxi stand. I recall hearing Thai for the first time. The sound itself was intoxicating. I stepped outside and was hit by a wall of thick, stifling heat and humidity. I dropped my bag and lit a smoke as I tried to figure out just what the hel_l I was thinking.

The taxi ride was strange. It was late and dark. My mind was swimming. I had no reservation, and I was heading to KSR to find a place. The cabbie dropped me off at Burger King, and I paid the fare. I think he got something like a 50 baht tip from me.

I stood there for a while just looking at the freak show in front of me. I was trying to comprehend it all. The smell was strong. It was hot. I walked, but the nothing really seemed any good in terms of a place to stay. I made my way up the stairs of Lek Guesthouse and was horrified by the rooms I saw. That is when I met another guy searching for a room. We eventually made it all the way to the end, and wandered over to Rainbow. The room was terrible, but I was in need of a cold beer. I dropped my bag. That guy did the same, and we set off for beer.

He bought me my first Chang. He told me of his travels. He was just back from Phuket and heading out the following day. When I told him about tipping the taxi, he told me to stop doing that nonsense!

It was during that conversation that I took a look around the bar. I noticed heaps of western guys with absolutely stunning Thai girls. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought that my eyes were playing tricks. Surely, it wasn't going to be that easy. How wrong I was ......

I stepped outside and was hit by a wall of thick, stifling heat and humidity.... I dropped my bag and lit a smoke....

It was hot...

The heat and humidity is bad enough, but then to add a fire and a haze of smokey pollution around your head is beyond logic! :) Other than that, nice little piece of Hemingway, there!

the very first thing i noticed about thailand was the smell. nothing like it anywhere else. the second thing was the humidity.

A few years back I had an ex-wife visit us. At Don Muang she complained that it was too hot, wanted to know why I had a truck rather than a car, kept asking how much longer it would be before we got to Jomtien. It was a relief to get her home where she crashed out after showering. She had never fully understood why we had parted so many years previously; now I was laying on my bed next to the most wonderful woman in the world wondering how it came about that I had married her in the guest bedroom in the first place.

The following morning we decided to show her Pattaya; she wanted to 'walk round the shops.' What is it about women and shops? Her mother was exactly the same. Anyway, we took a baht bus which was a new experience for her and later, as we walked towards the first mall to be 'inspected' by our visitor, she waxed lyrical about the bustle of the place, the food stalls and the shops spilling out onto the pavements. She found her situation so exciting and different that it seriously interferred with her judgement. Taking in a lungful of air she muttered something about the exotic and mysterious Orient. You can actually smell it she exclaimed. That's the open sewers that they call drains I told her.

That quietened her down a bit.

the very first thing i noticed about thailand was the smell. nothing like it anywhere else. the second thing was the humidity.

From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada ,Vancouver BC,HongKong to,Phuket august 1994. I can still remember the smell and humidity. Drove to Krabi. What a wonderful day full of new sights sounds and smells. I have never forgotten the thrill of that new experience. So still here living in the north and exploring when not working and wouldn't have any other way. Randell

Do You Remember .. Your Very First Day In Thailand ?, What stands OUT for you .. on that FIRST day ??

Very First Day In Thailand?

Oooh…YES YES I remember!

Of …..having someone feed me, sucking boobs, and being carried to bed.

Well I was a wee wee baby…….of being just born! :)

Do You Remember .. Your Very First Day In Thailand ?, What stands OUT for you .. on that FIRST day ??

Very First Day In Thailand?

Oooh…YES YES I remember!

Of …..having someone feed me, sucking boobs, and being carried to bed.

Well I was a wee wee baby…….of being just born! :D

sounds like that was not too long ago

:)

Arrived in Phuket in a blinding rain in the middle of the rainy season. Dropped my bags in the room at Patong and sauntered down to Soi Bangla. Deposited myself on a stool in the Kangaroo Bar for 3 hours and got talking to a fellow Aussie from Sydney. Turned out he was some heavy crim type voiding the law. Talking for a while, nice enough bloke. Went for a piss and next minute he's in there with me, knife poking me in the stomach and demanding the contents of my wallet!! UNBELIEVABLE! Travelled all that way and get robbed by my own countryman! Anyway, shrugged it off and had a great two weeks after that. Went back a few months later, met the wife, decided to move. The rest is history and my single biggest dissapointment about Thailand remains that very first day. Have since learnt that the ones to avoid the most , sadly, are the Farang!

Arrived in Phuket in a blinding rain in the middle of the rainy season. Dropped my bags in the room at Patong and sauntered down to Soi Bangla. Deposited myself on a stool in the Kangaroo Bar for 3 hours and got talking to a fellow Aussie from Sydney. Turned out he was some heavy crim type voiding the law. Talking for a while, nice enough bloke. Went for a piss and next minute he's in there with me, knife poking me in the stomach and demanding the contents of my wallet!! UNBELIEVABLE! Travelled all that way and get robbed by my own countryman! Anyway, shrugged it off and had a great two weeks after that. Went back a few months later, met the wife, decided to move. The rest is history and my single biggest dissapointment about Thailand remains that very first day. Have since learnt that the ones to avoid the most , sadly, are the Farang!

Oh yes. First trip in late August of 2004. First trip overseas and with my new passport. Many years of iffy finances and some hard times and this was an unbelievable new thing for me. Flew into Don Muang from Los Angeles and Japan connections. Got in at about 11 am. Immediately noticed how the air smelled. Smelled of humidity. Not bad, just different. Took minivan from Thai airways counter to Pattaya. Loved the scenery on the drive down to Pattaya. The Thai tempes, the greenery. Really liked it. Walked around a bit as I traveled light and only had carry on bag. Had a short list of hotels and chose Eastiny Place on Soi 8. Had a great 10 days. Found a nice gal who had a friend with a car and we had long days at Crocodile park, nong nooch, and a few other places. All went well. Loved walking around at night. Was stunned by the lovely ladies. Loved Ko Larn for a day trip and nice swim. Loved Big C. Interesting to compare with the USA. Saw a movie, etc.

Just a great first impression. Upon departing, found a nice juice stand at the airport. banana and orange freshly squeezed. No other additives. I miss that little stand.

Have gone a total of 9 times since staying there for up to 53 days at a time.

My first day in Thailand came in 1993. I was living in South Korea at the time. I had been contacted by a Thai woman whom I had met previously in the UK. She wanted me to come to Thailand to be a director in her new company. I spent two hours at Don Muang waiting for her. During that time, the thing that struck me most, quite overwhelmingly, was how ugly and poorly dressed the women were compared with South Korean women. I looked in vain for two hours trying to see if there were any women that I found attractive. Zilch. Then, finally, I found *one* whom I thought was not bad. On closer inspection, it turned out to be the person whom I had been waiting for.

Then followed a seemingly interminable car ride through heavy traffic. That gave me a chance to see all the dilapidated buildings, dirt, litter,poverty, and appalling, haphazard architecture. Then I was taken to a restaurant where the dishes were made of plastic and the fork bent double whenever I tried to pick something up with it.

Those are the things that I remember from my first day in Thailand. I was mighty glad to be on the plane back to Korea the next day.

THE SMELL OF BANGKOK...aka Eau De Parfum Krung Thep caused by the pollution, trash and general decay of the city.

Amazing how meeting the people, sights and sounds of Thailand allow you to not only tolerate but relish and crave it. :)

16 February 1977. I arrived from South Africa via Europe. My living and working area had been outside Pofadder in the Northwest Cape province. From Don Muang I came to Hualampong station and got a room at the Sri Hualampong Hotel. This hotel still exists. Hualampong station was amongst the busiest places of Bangkok. I went into complete "culture shock". There was a curfew on and around midnight the area became deserted. Next morning I left by train to Hat Yai and onward by taxi to Penang.

After travelling in Malaysia and Indonesia I entered Thailand a second time at Sungai Go-lok on 30 May 1977. Via Songkla, Krabi and Phuket I made my way North to Bangkok. The most impressive thing that I have seen in my life were the millions of fireflies in the Krabi mangroves. I came back in 1991 to see them again but the fireflies were gone as a result of mosquito spraying. I stayed.

I remembered the sweltering heat/humidity, the immediate stench of 10+ million people and the corresponding smell of garbage which goes along with that mass of humanity. There was also an ever present smell of what I later found out to be elephant shit in the night air. I was slightly taken aback by the overwhelming number of thai people here as well. Then again, with this being the "Land 'O Thais", where else would they congregate?

Other than that, it was fine.

Over 4 years here, and I'm often still amazed the thais are thick as ticks on a dogs back, but I'm almost over it.

I sure remember my first visit back in 1973. I arrived to Don Muang Airport which at that time was a pretty small airport. The airport building was a “wood house” with the departure lounge on the lower level and the transit lounge just “a few steps up”.

The reason why I remember it is because even at that time you had many people offering “private taxi” to your hotel which at that time was the Siam Intercontinental (located where Paragon is today). So I ended up in an old Renault CV4 (the frog) with no AC. I was absolutely soaked when I arrived in my dark suit to Siam Intercont and the pollution at that time was even worse than today. The price I paid – 800 Baht which at that time was a lot of money and four times more what Thai Airways charged for their new limos. But I learnt a lesson that most probably has saved me some money after that.

I remember as well I got good shoes made according to measurement at a small shop where the Central Plaza is located today. That was however cheap, 180 baht if my memory is correct.