Do You Remember .. Your Very First Day In Thailand ?

cognos

..first time in Thailand I was feeling rather ill after 16.5 hours worth of flights from Vancouver - Hong Kong - BKK.. the air conditioning stopped working on the Cathay Pacific airplane and it was <deleted>' HOT!!..i had to take off my shirt..socks and roll up my pants..nobody complained because everyone was HOT..the stewardess told me this was the first time the air conditioning had not been working all the flights she had been on :D .. finally arrived in BKK.. It seemed surreal..WOW!!..look at those beautiful, shapely, exotic, sun-kissed, pouty-mouthed,wonderful walking,smallish (farang land seems to be getting fatter and fatter) Thai women!! :) ..got to the Mandarin Hotel late and slept..next morning in the lobby for breakfast noted (with mild disgust..my bad) some farang with their thai BF's..tried not to look..they fawned over each other like newly-weds..actually ALOT more than newly-weds..got the helll out of there and walked outside...BOOOOM!!..the stifling heat was like a BLAST FURNACE!! :D Walked a half a block and right back into the cool of the air conditioned lobby.. to wait for the Thai lady that I'd met online.. that was coming to the hotel to meet me..took one look at her and.. WOW!! :D .. my senses were assaulted by a cornicopia of BLISS..except for that bloody jet lag..

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..first time in Thailand I was feeling rather ill after 16.5 hours

My first night I couldn't sleep. I went for a walk down Sukhumvit road at 2AM. On that walk I was accosted by several friendly "ladies", knocked against a wall by a baby elephant, and groped by a pack of katoeys. You either love the insanity or you hate it. That was 10 years ago and Thailand is still the only place I am really happy. I envy the first timers. It is like a drug and you can never get that feeling back that you had the first time.

Seeing my first food cart down soi 4 and thinking I might have to head back there if I can't find anywhere to eat.

My first impression was that the city was a dump. That impression has lasted.

..first time in Thailand I was feeling rather ill after 16.5 hours

My first night I couldn't sleep. I went for a walk down Sukhumvit road at 2AM. On that walk I was accosted by several friendly "ladies", knocked against a wall by a baby elephant, and groped by a pack of katoeys. You either love the insanity or you hate it. That was 10 years ago and Thailand is still the only place I am really happy. I envy the first timers. It is like a drug and you can never get that feeling back that you had the first time.

groped by a pack of katoeys..haha ..YIKES..it must have been quite the experience the first day..I know what you mean about the feeling of the first time..but I felt like Shiiit the first several days..a combo of jet lag (don't really get it anymore), had not flown on a long flight since going to europe as a kid, being on a tour with a bunch of 20 somethings.. :D:) .to LOS in 3 days..for trip #7, and for me each time gets better..but I see your point if you are an expat and do not have to keep going back to farang land all the time to work

I remember my first day in Thailand very well even though it was 9 Years ago.

I thought the Taxi from the old Bangkok Airport (with broken air con) would take about 1 hour to Pattaya - it took 3. I was feeling very unwell, tired and sick with the long journey.

Turned out to be a great holiday though after I had a good nights sleep.

The first time I came here was in the eighties. I was 21 years old, coming to work in the south. I flew in to Hat Yai from Singapore with a Singaporean coworker. Things I remember at the airport are the big sign they had up saying "Hippy type" people would not be admitted, and the immigration guy asking if I'd buy a carton of cigarettes at the duty free shop for him - he didn't want them as a gift, and gave me the money to pay for them. Immediately we'd stepped through customs a bloke asked if we wanted a girl, and, after we'd brushed him off, must have followed the taxi to our hotel, because he was waiting in the lobby after we'd put our things in our rooms. The Singaporean knew the score and took me under his wing. We ended up running out of Baht on a Sunday night, and no one would change any travellers cheques until the banks opened the next morning. The girls bought us dinner and paid for the drinks at the night club. So my first taste of Thailand was a very positive one, which, despite all the bashing that goes on in this forum, must be the norm for the majority of travellers here too.

was welcomed to los at swampy the old lady and 2 armed officers were waiting for me at the gate, dads way of saying welcome to your new home, just remember whos country this is.....

Edited by tb86

yes,she had the body of a godess ,i was hooked ,i remember it well. a german guy told me believe what you see in the mirror,your not a handsome man but you have a lovely wallet.just enjoy . 20 years later ime still enjoying it.

Arrived in BKK after 22 hours travelling, into the airport at 1:00am, picked by company transport two hour drive, deposited in a hotel, with promise to be picked up by a collegue next morning who would take me shopping for stuff for food etc for accomdation they had rented for me...next morning collegue arrives at 11:00 (Expat) and suggests we go to Pattaya for shopping ( I never been to Pattaya before), on arriving in Pattaya collegue suggests before shopping we go for a quick lunch....quick lunch turns into long lunch with many beers thrown in, after which suggestion made we go and find a beer somewhere else.. :) ......one thing led to another as things do in Pattaya...LOL

Arrived at work for the first day of work at 08:00am with a chronic hangover and very fond memories of night before concerning a young lady....never did go shopping...

The taxi driver from Don Muang didn't know where my hotel was so we drove around for hours becaue he was too proud to ask another taxi driver. Showered and crashed out, went for a walk round about 9 p.m. and had a haircut. I was scalped for 300 baht. The first - and last - lesson that I needed to get the speed of the place.

Our cabbie couldnt find Sea Lodge - it was cool then - as we cruised Pattaya - the babes trying to haul us into their bars. We eventually touched down - 2am - hit the pool and walked up to North Naklua & hit 10/20 bars - got goosed by everyone, everything, did the python, elephant thingy and walked back with 2 real babes each. Small adams. The next day they brought their friends. We partied for 10 days, then called out buddies in Perth to join us. We werent going there.

The rest is not suitable PG. Aint never changed. Neither MO. So long as they keep calling me Sexyman.

God bless Thailand.

BR>Jack

Stepping out of an airline cabin into the oppressive heat at Don Muang Airport in April. This after island hopping across the pacific on a flight that departed from San Francisco. The year was 1970 and I have long since forgot how many hours it took.

Edited by ballbreaker

After two hellish weeks in Cambodia (weather, robbers, food poisoning, run-ins with former Khmer Rouge, "roads," etc.) arrived at Don Muang on a flight from Phnom Penh. Like a time machine propelling me to the present from 100 years ago. From hel_l to Heaven.

yes,she had the body of a godess ,i was hooked ,i remember it well. a german guy told me believe what you see in the mirror,your not a handsome man but you have a lovely wallet.just enjoy . 20 years later ime still enjoying it.

as a kid I visited Florence, Italy and bought a LOVELY leather wallet :)