Pattaya - Hua Hin Passenger Ferry A Reality

Changian

It takes by car about 4.5 hours or by (Tops) mini bus via Bangkok about 5.5 hours on a normal traffic day for 350 baht.

Having looked at the video, the boat looks like it could be top heavy in rough water, in fact it looks really like a boat not designed for deep sea? I sure hope I am wrong and look forward to seeing and trying out this journey? :)

The YouTube video poster states that a road journey from Pattaya to Hua Hin takes 9.5 hours. Is that true?
Edited by Pdavies99

It takes by car about 4.5 hours or by (Tops) mini bus via Bangkok about 5.5 hours on a normal traffic day for 350 baht.

Having looked at the video, the boat looks like it could be top heavy in rough water, in fact it looks really like a boat not designed for deep sea? I sure hope I am wrong and look forward to seeing and trying out this journey? :)

The YouTube video poster states that a road journey from Pattaya to Hua Hin takes 9.5 hours. Is that true?

How rough do the seas get in this tiny bit of the Gulf of Thailand?

I have been in squalls, with waves of 4-5 metres in the Gulf and while this can be no problem a catatamaran is a different issue! Dont get me wrong, I want this boat to be a success!!! (but safety is always important.)

Edited by Pdavies99

This is something that i found about them.

click Here

This is something about the Company and of Himself.

It can be true sometime that they will make a Boat Ride between Pattaya and Hua Hin.

Other problems will occur.

For example: Price = With only a limited amount of passengers there is much to pay for.

Customers = The last time "STORM" made all kind of transfers to Hua Hin. They have failed to keep up the Green number in the accounting.

These are the main factors that the Transportation will not work.

It is worth a try, But if someone failed on this (even in high season) you should not Start this in the low season.

The company is building boats at their company, 15km south of Pattaya...

Interesting quote from the .pdf document referenced above was that he now has 60 employees, and...

And due to constant labour problems, Bakri

Cono has embarked on a very ambitious

training program for workers from upcountry.

Railroad? - yes that's about right

No not true I did it in 4.5 hours,moderate driving and have done the drive few times now

The new catamaran that will ply the high seas between Pattaya and Hua Hin was launched this week.

(A similar boat will be used to ferry people from the mainland near Trat to Koh Mak.)

Youtube video

In any other civilized country in the world, this floating-creation' would never ever be able to obtain a license to carry (ferry) people for money across a stretch of water such as what is proposed in this particular case. This cat has been built for maximum 'pasenger-outlook-enjoyment' but far below the minimum requirements for the safety of those same passengers.

We're talking about a chunck of water where it can (and invariably does !) 'spook', as we sailors call it. The large windows and the way too high super-structure (steering-house on the top) are potential helpless victims to high-running seas and would not last very long, even in moderate 'spook' conditions. This boat, in my humble opinion (I was born on the sea and sailed her all my life) is an accident waiting to happen !

Sofar he boat; now about this launch clip. The only thing which comes to mind is "Mickey Mouse". And if they really believe that setting of some firecrackers, to ward off evil spirits, will keep this vessel and its pasengers safe, they are surely kidding themselves ! !

Again; such a 'pleasure-craft' contraption would never achieve a Lloyd's rating beyond 1/2 nM off shore (if that) and that has something to do with 'insurability', you figure out the conclussions of that.

I, for one, would never ever risk that crossing (from Pattaya to Hua-hin) on a vessel like his, even if my life depended on it: and it most certainly would !

It will be interesting to see if and how the owner of this "fairy ferry" gets licensed by the responsible authorities; I'll be following this one up, since I truly believe that this is a "crime in the making".

:)

JGK/Pattaya

PS: Re-enforcing this 'Mikey Mouse ambiance' is the statement by the owner about the road-trip taking 9.5 hours . . . . . and he expects ME to trust HIM with my and my family's lives on 'that' thing ? ? Got to be kidding !

The new catamaran that will ply the high seas between Pattaya and Hua Hin was launched this week.

(A similar boat will be used to ferry people from the mainland near Trat to Koh Mak.)

Youtube video

In any other civilized country in the world, this floating-creation' would never ever be able to obtain a license to carry (ferry) people for money across a stretch of water such as what is proposed in this particular case. This cat has been built for maximum 'pasenger-outlook-enjoyment' but far below the minimum requirements for the safety of those same passengers.

We're talking about a chunck of water where it can (and invariably does !) 'spook', as we sailors call it. The large windows and the way too high super-structure (steering-house on the top) are potential helpless victims to high-running seas and would not last very long, even in moderate 'spook' conditions. This boat, in my humble opinion (I was born on the sea and sailed her all my life) is an accident waiting to happen !

Sofar he boat; now about this launch clip. The only thing which comes to mind is "Mickey Mouse". And if they really believe that setting of some firecrackers, to ward off evil spirits, will keep this vessel and its pasengers safe, they are surely kidding themselves ! !

Again; such a 'pleasure-craft' contraption would never achieve a Lloyd's rating beyond 1/2 nM off shore (if that) and that has something to do with 'insurability', you figure out the conclussions of that.

I, for one, would never ever risk that crossing (from Pattaya to Hua-hin) on a vessel like his, even if my life depended on it: and it most certainly would !

It will be interesting to see if and how the owner of this "fairy ferry" gets licensed by the responsible authorities; I'll be following this one up, since I truly believe that this is a "crime in the making".

:)

JGK/Pattaya

PS: Re-enforcing this 'Mikey Mouse ambiance' is the statement by the owner about the road-trip taking 9.5 hours . . . . . and he expects ME to trust HIM with my and my family's lives on 'that' thing ? ? Got to be kidding !

I think you may be right.

On the other hand, I have plied the routes between the UK and the Continent for years.

Some of the cats and the the jetfoils or even the hovercrafts used, in quite heavy seas, made me wonder if all would be safe.

I experienced many rough crossings, up till Windforce 11, and with the highspeed cats up till 8.

But the cats ride the waves, the Holyman cats pierce the waves.

And like the cat in Pattaya, the cats in Europe were very high, had lots of glass, but were also very wide.

And most of them were licensed to waves of 3 to 4 meters.

So maybe, just maybe, it is not as bad as it seems to look.

However, the construction might not deter me from making a ride, but what about the seamanship of the crew?

this service will end up like the last time they tried it approx 15 years ago......no demand, will last few months tops.

who wants to go to Hua hin.......not many

who wants to go to hua hin daily ....even fewer

wh wants to risk life going to hua hin.....

this service will end up like the last time they tried it approx 15 years ago......no demand, will last few months tops.

Maybe the greatest demand for this service is in the other direction, people living in Hua Hin going to Pattaya for a day or two :)

Maybe the greatest demand for this service is in the other direction, people living in Hua Hin going to Pattaya for a day or two :)

But wouldn't they be returning after that few days?? Ergo, equal demand both ways.

I'm off to downtown Hua Hin right now. While I'm down there I'll ask the elderly Scandinavian couples who make up the bulk of the local community how many are dying for wild retreats to the wicked sister city across the bay!

I agree with those that say there will be little demand for travel to Hua Hin. They should extend it to combine with the fast cats that go from near Chumpon to Tao, Phangan and Samui. That would be a service that might succeed.

The boat service I'm looking for is one from Pattaya to Sihanoukville. That would be a goer, I reckon.

Agreed. I did some maths and market research on this a few years ago and it just wasn't feasible to ofer this service with the prospective demand.

Best and safest way to go to Hua Hin is by plane. From Bangkok to hua Hin about 40 minutes, and not expensive.

You can drive in a couple of hours. The plane is small, expensive, has (had) baggage restrictions etc. From farther away, very good but not from somewhere as near as Bangkok.

• 4 months later...

That boat just looks plain unsafe, even if it could survive rough seas loaded with passengers from a sailability point of view is it structurely sound and wouldn't just break up if it hit heavy weather, I don't think I would even go to larn island on that thing.