Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

Small Red Plate?

My mate and I bought a couple of off road bikes, but now the dealer is shut and it has been, and may be, a long time before we get the green books and plates. Currently the bikes have ginormous red and white temporary plates that break and fly off every time we go off-roading. I see a lot of new bikes have much smaller oval red plates now, about a quarter of the size and fraction of the weight as ours. Is it possible/illegal to have one made like that for our bikes (with same numbers of course) so ours don't keep falling off?

I'm in Phuket if anyone knows where I can do this, please PM me.

Thanks.

SB

Edited by Scubabuddha

My mate and I bought a couple of off road bikes, but now the dealer is shut and it has been, and may be, a long time before we get the green books and plates. Currently the bikes have ginormous red and white temporary plates that break and fly off every time we go off-roading. I see a lot of new bikes have much smaller oval red plates now, about a quarter of the size and fraction of the weight as ours. Is it possible/illegal to have one made like that for our bikes (with same numbers of course) so ours don't keep falling off?

I'm in Phuket if anyone knows where I can do this, please PM me.

Thanks.

SB

Suggest you go to the Vehicle Registration office in Phuket Town and explain the problem to them. It is near Sapham Hin

Talking to a aussie yesterday we both live phuket,he just bought a harley night train in kho sumai with a big red plate and was told green book will follow ,on closer inspection it's a normal plate painted red,i would check this before you go anywhere near dept or transport or you may well have no place to put the plate :)

Talking to a aussie yesterday we both live phuket,he just bought a harley night train in kho sumai with a big red plate and was told green book will follow ,on closer inspection it's a normal plate painted red,i would check this before you go anywhere near dept or transport or you may well have no place to put the plate :)

have to second that.

If you dont have a book with the red plate, its normally a fake. Every time I buy a new car I have to deposit 2000 baht to get legal redplate/book. The other ones are free, and look genuine, but since I drive much longdistance (Phuket-Hua Hin 700 km) I need the leg ones.

have to second that.

If you dont have a book with the red plate, its normally a fake. Every time I buy a new car I have to deposit 2000 baht to get legal redplate/book. The other ones are free, and look genuine, but since I drive much longdistance (Phuket-Hua Hin 700 km) I need the leg ones.

I thought the green book is supposed to come when you are issued the white plates? No?

have to second that.

I thought the green book is supposed to come when you are issued the white plates? No?

each dealer has a few red plates with books for this red plate. And hundreds of redplates not legal. In this legal book your vehicle is registered (with a pen). The book is not similar to bikes greenbook or cars bluebook, its triple the size.

If you have a Platinum, no one seem to get their plates and books anyway, so dont loose your redplate :D

I was under the impression red plate is a thai version of a garage trade plate back home,i got no book with my red plate and several other dealer's named the shop where i bought the bike from the number so i assumed it was regestered to the shop,i got green book and white plate a month after i bought bike,i had been told 3 month's so i was happy.Am i right or wrong about red plate.

I was under the impression red plate is a thai version of a garage trade plate back home,i got no book with my red plate and several other dealer's named the shop where i bought the bike from the number so i assumed it was regestered to the shop,i got green book and white plate a month after i bought bike,i had been told 3 month's so i was happy.Am i right or wrong about red plate.

I've never heard of a "garage trade plate", probably indicating your "back home" is different than my "back home." Back home (California) you didn't get plates, just a paper with VIN on it stuck to the front windshield until permanent plates came in the mail 1 -5 weeks later.

ireland calling scuba.

Garage trade plate is regestered to the garage,it is a real plate in red there is no bike detail's,it is a movable tax and insurance disc can only be used during working hour's and is strictly motor trade use only.

Now the road traffic act state's all new vehicel's must be regestered in owner's name and fitted with it's proper plate's before it leaves the dealer's showroom,it takes about a day to get plated, gone are the day's of FOR REG written on a piece cardboard and tied on with string.

"garage trade plate" or 'trade plate' is motor trade only here in Oz. And limited hours usually but some states offer 24hour trade plates for substancially more!

I can't for rhymm or reason see why Thai dealers didn't just go down to the motor registry and get the white plates on the spot. A very strange system indead!

"garage trade plate" or 'trade plate' is motor trade only here in Oz. And limited hours usually but some states offer 24hour trade plates for substancially more!

I can't for rhymm or reason see why Thai dealers didn't just go down to the motor registry and get the white plates on the spot. A very strange system indead!

After the dealer has sold the vehicle to customer, they have to pay it to supplier, lets say Toyota. Then they recieve the ownershipdocs and can issue an invoice. Then they can pay tax. Then they can apply for reg. A week later they can pick up plate and book.

Sometimes done in 3 weeks, but 3 months is more normal.

If the dealer goes bankrupsy in the meanwhile, vehicle basicly still belongs to supplier, lets say Toyota.

After the dealer has sold the vehicle to customer, they have to pay it to supplier, lets say Toyota. Then they recieve the ownershipdocs and can issue an invoice. Then they can pay tax. Then they can apply for reg. A week later they can pick up plate and book.

If the dealer goes bankrupsy in the meanwhile, vehicle basicly still belongs to supplier, lets say Toyota.

So technically my bike is still owned by Platinum? :D I better go lock it up. :)

So technically my bike is still owned by Platinum? :D I better go lock it up. :)

Since you have a invoice and you bring a copy with you on the bike I dont think you have a problem. It seems like the whole platinum organisation left LOS, dealers and importer/manufacturer. So did JRD i guess.

Keep on riding Scuba :D

ireland calling scuba.

Garage trade plate is regestered to the garage,it is a real plate in red there is no bike detail's,it is a movable tax and insurance disc can only be used during working hour's and is strictly motor trade use only.

Now the road traffic act state's all new vehicel's must be regestered in owner's name and fitted with it's proper plate's before it leaves the dealer's showroom,it takes about a day to get plated, gone are the day's of FOR REG written on a piece cardboard and tied on with string.

garage plates in ireland are green :)

Since you have a invoice and you bring a copy with you on the bike I dont think you have a problem. It seems like the whole platinum organisation left LOS, dealers and importer/manufacturer. So did JRD i guess.

Keep on riding Scuba :D

Thanks for the info. I will do that. (Keep riding)

Platinum does appear to still be operating in the LOS, just not in Phuket.

http://www.platinummotorsale.com/Ehome.html

I'm not looking forward to taking my next visa run in a Platinum minivan. Oh dear God.

SB