What Windows Mobile Phone?

My phone is on the blink, it's been a love hate relationship all along, mainly due to the vendor (not Windows). (It's an o2Flame).

Anyway I need a new Windows Mobile phone. I'm interested in Android and Iphone but they won't do as I need to run several Pocket PC based programs in Thai and English and I guess they won't work on those o/s? I also need a big screen (3.6inch VGA min). I am prepared to pay up to 35k THB if needed.

Anyone else using similar and happy with it to recommend?

I bought one of the first HP Touchscreen M$ smartfones and hated it from the get-go. I have had say 3/4 of them and never, ever had a decent ME (embedded) experience, ever. As ya said - love/hate. The embedded O/S is good - it just blows on the client machine. That sync thingy is garbage also.

Time to rethink ya strategy. Get an iPhone - there will be an app real soon, I am sure.

It even launches here with Thai software soon - True network.

BR>Jack

Hi

I have been a microsoft-based smartphone user for many years ( E-Ten M500 / Dopod 838pro / Asus p750 / HTC TYTNII / HTC Touch HD ) until I ordered a 2nd hand Iphone on eBay.

I always swore I would never buy an Iphone, but here I am, and I must say I love it, despite all its limitations and shortcomings.

The beauty of it is all these apps available for just about anything. There are a lot of Windows Mobile available as well, and I have used a lot, but nothing compares to all the apps you can find for the Iphone.

Sure Itunes is a pain in the butt, and with a jailbroken and unlocked Iphone, you have to play hide and seek with Apple, but still I do not regret my purchase, I have even ordered a 2nd one yesterday...

The new HTC Hero coming soon looks interesting as well, I will probably end up buying an Android phone one of these days to try it... The HTC Touch HD has a great screen but the 6.1 version of WM is not good ( for me ), maybe 6.5 or 7 will be better...

Cheers

Phil

I own a HTC Diamond touch pro.

As many, love/hate relationship. It's windows, so sometimes it goes bonkers, hangs or whatnot. Bloody annoying when it happens just when you get an incoming call. Resetting always gets things going, but the boot time is long.

Happens maybe once, maybe twice a month.

But, also the same as many people, I'm tied to Windows. I have several applications only available for Windows Mobile. Mainly supplied by hardware vendors. Example is camera surveillance systems, for which I have a remote control/viewer running on my PDA...

All in all, love the device, best I have ever had. It has ful VGA, but the screen is only 2.8". I reckon the htc Touch HD will suit you as it has roughly the same specs as the diamond touch, but with bigger screen... STill in our price range as well (just)...

Winmo phones:

HTC Touch HD (3.8 Screen, win 6.1)

HTC Touch Diamond II ( 3.2 Screen ,win 6.1 but free upgrade to win 6.5 later on)

HTC Touch Pro II ( 3.6 Screen, slide out hardware keyboard, win 6.1 but free upgrade to win 6.5 later on)

Samsung have 2 new, very fast winmo devices coming soon....

Samsung Omnia II (3.7 Amoled Screen, win 6.5)

Samsung OmniaPro B7610 (3.5 Amoled Screen, win 6.5 , slide out hardware keyboard)

Toshiba TG01 (4.1 Screen, 1 GHz processor! , coming soon)

Edited by Fun2Fun

but nothing compares to all the apps you can find for the Iphone.

Well they do when you rely on them for work and they are only released for the Windows Mobile platform.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be looking to but a new big screen phone soon and I don't think it will be WM device again - so more pain to come I guess but I am so familiar with the software's and how to get it free I can but up with the occasional trouble.

For your custom apps, you can check the iPhone app store right on your computer from iTunes - check whether those apps you need are available. The iPhone is such a big hit, and app development so comparatively simple, that I imagine all worthwhile WinMo apps will be ported over sooner rather than later.

As far as quality is concerned, WinMo / symbian apps were never this good - they couldn't be, as they didn't have the hardware and software support. Only exceptions are those apps that are only available on jailbroken devices like the incredibly versatile iBlacklist. Keeping the thing jailbroken is a bit of a pain.

I read about a remote surveillance software a very long time ago so I am sure that's pretty mature now on the iPhone. It was really fancy with touch controls to move the cameras and live streaming... ad you'd expect.

Well they do when you rely on them for work and they are only released for the Windows Mobile platform.

A dying out breed, for sure.. see above... there are 50,000 iPhone apps out already, and more by the day....

A dying out breed, for sure.. see above... there are 50,000 iPhone apps out already, and more by the day....

Will have to die with the breed I guess. Just bought an HTC Touch Pro2 and it fits my dying breed needs for now and all my old apps I got mostly for free run well on it. Will chuck it in a couple of yrs for something else.

Winmo phones:

HTC Touch HD (3.8 Screen, win 6.1)

HTC Touch Diamond II ( 3.2 Screen ,win 6.1 but free upgrade to win 6.5 later on)

HTC Touch Pro II ( 3.6 Screen, slide out hardware keyboard, win 6.1 but free upgrade to win 6.5 later on)

Do not under any circumstances get an HTC Touch HD. I had one and gave it to a friend after a month. Though it was just me but went over to the xda forums and saw many people that are winmo fans thought the same. Not sure about the others but the HTC Touch HD is expensive and doesn't deliver basic functionality out of the box or with cooked ROM.

Other than that good luck with whatever you choose. :)