How To Transfer Memory From D Drive To C Drive

Randell

I have had a new LG 250 gb hard drive installed recentlyin my HP computer. I mostly store pictures and music. My C drive has only 8.65 gb of 105 gb left where as my d drive has 117 of 127 gb free and any music or photos I save it goes into c drive . How do I free up some of the d drive for use in c drive. As you might gather I'm not very computer savy. any help would be appreciated thanks Randell

- You may need to resize the partitions. For this task you need a 3rd party program

wait what program the board will recommend

- You also could copy "My documents" to D: and delete the content an C: That will free a lot of space.

Or buy an external HDD and copy files to it.

- Run CC cleaner (free) and have it cleaned all the temp rubbish on you HDD.

/typing errors corrected

Edited by webfact

- You may need to resize the partitions. For this task you need a 3rd party program

wait what program the board will recommend

- You also could copy "My documents" to D: and delete the content an C: That will free a lot of space.

Or buy an external HDD and copy files to it.

- Run CC leaner (free) and have it cleaned all the term rubbish on you HDD.

I always get nervous when I run things like cc cleaner when it come to hitting the delete or execute whatever I usually don't as I don't know or recognize the list of stuff it wants to get rid of so i just chicken out and close the program hopeless I know Randell

Drag 'n Drop folders or groups of media from one partition to the other.

Use Explorer - very simple - try a couple as an experiment - then select larger chunks.

There is no need to repartition - ya only need to move data.

Defrag it later.

My advice + practice is to never use the boot drive for storage - it is the first to let go.

All my boot drives are only say 7G in size - I use a very large partition for storage.

Post back if necessary

BR>Jack

hi Randell,

1) i'd suggest you don't do the re-partitioning. in general i'd propose you try to change your system-setup in a way that by default it stores all data on that "d"-drive na.

2) depending on your windows-version that can be done easily. or not... ;-(

3) for a quick help... i agree it'd be easiest to simply copy contents of "my pictures" (or even all of "my documents") to a new folder on "d". let's call it "data".

4) i can understand you're a bit scared with the powerful options of cc-cleaner. windows itself comes with an utility, "diskcleanup". maybe you wanna give it a try na.

hope it helps

all best

hi Randell,

1) i'd suggest you don't do the re-partitioning. in general i'd propose you try to change your system-setup in a way that by default it stores all data on that "d"-drive na.

3) for a quick help... i agree it'd be easiest to simply copy contents of "my pictures" (or even all of "my documents") to a new folder on "d". let's call it "data".

4) i can understand you're a bit scared with the powerful options of cc-cleaner. windows itself comes with an utility, "diskcleanup". maybe you wanna give it a try na.

hope it helps

all best

When I go into MS disk cleaner I see the two biggest files are hibernation file cleaner 2.37 GB and temporary file 1.73 GB Will I be able to delete these with out problem? Randell

hi Randell,

hope it helps

all best

When I go into MS disk cleaner I see the two biggest files are hibernation file cleaner 2.37 GB and temporary file 1.73 GB Will I be able to delete these with out problem? Randell

If you can delete the hibernation file it will be back next time you start your computer (as long as you have hibernation activated).

temp files should be no problem at all. These are "support" files the system or a program writes for running certain tasks. They also will be back...

But you should delete them now without fear. You always will have temp files on your machine and you should delete them regularly. Same applies for browser cache.

Drag 'n Drop folders or groups of media from one partition to the other.

Use Explorer - very simple - try a couple as an experiment - then select larger chunks.

There is no need to repartition - ya only need to move data.

Defrag it later.

My advice + practice is to never use the boot drive for storage - it is the first to let go.

All my boot drives are only say 7G in size - I use a very large partition for storage.

Post back if necessary

BR>Jack

Jack thanks for your responce my C drive i assume has my start up and all on it and the D drive only has recovery program or something. How do I go about following you advise. Randell

hi Randell,

hope it helps

all best

If you can delete the hibernation file it will be back next time you start your computer (as long as you have hibernation activated).

temp files should be no problem at all. These are "support" files the system or a program writes for running certain tasks. They also will be back...

But you should delete them now without fear. You always will have temp files on your machine and you should delete them regularly. Same applies for browser cache.

I do delete browser cache and history regularly. Can I change this hibernation setting or not advisable? randell

Randell

You should not be scare of CCcleaner, systems need to be clean at time, and every few years reinstall the OS (operating system) is good

The points I give to my friend are

You know where you save your files

Have a external backup with all you files

Have all disc / drivers you need

Edited by simcity

hi Randell,

hope it helps

all best

I do delete browser cache and history regularly. Can I change this hibernation setting or not advisable? randell

hibernation is useful on a notebook. But even there I have disabled it. Open --->control panel ---> power options - theres a tab named "Hibernate". See if it is ticked or not.

Untick it and restart your computer. The file should have gone... Nothing can happen. Hibernate will be created new if you revert it. This file is a memory file which stores the computers "status-quo" in stand-bye mode.

Are we having fun yet?! Thought by now ya would have finished. Make a new folder on D:\ - call it anything, say DATA

Now hilite one of the folders, on C:\ that ya want to move - and drag it to the new DATA folder - ya will see a dialog box

confirming disc activity. Let it finish. Or hit same folder, right click - copy, then hit DATA folder, right click - paste.

Let me know

BR>Jack

Jack thanks for your responce my C drive i assume has my start up and all on it and the D drive only has recovery program or something. How do I go about following you advise. Randell

Are we having fun yet?! Thought by now ya would have finished. Make a new folder on D:\ - call it anything, say DATA

Now hilite one of the folders, on C:\ that ya want to move - and drag it to the new DATA folder - ya will see a dialog box

confirming disc activity. Let it finish. Or hit same folder, right click - copy, then hit DATA folder, right click - paste.

Let me know

BR>Jack

Thanks for your help Jack appreciate it. Randell

Ya welcome.

Clearly dont 'transfer' any system files - once done ya can delete any residual junk and defrag the drive.

Like new then - no need to reformat/yadda.

One day when ya more settled, maybe redo the system, as I have described in other posts.

It will give ya the luxury of experimenting & learning other systems, plus free up most of C:\ for data also.

It will also harden your system and make it bullet proof.

Let me know

BR>Jack

Open "Control Panel" , "System" and then click on the "System Restore" tab . High light the C: drive and click on "Settings". This is defaulting to something like 20% which was ok for the old 20Gb drives. What you need is about 1Gb of restore space and that would be about 1% on your disk, move the slider until the reading is about 1000MB. This could give you an extra 15-20Gb if you are lucky.

Thats not the object of this exercise

BR>Jack

Sorry, I thought the object was to free up some space on the C: drive, this could give him several Gb.

1Gb restore space is enough for 4-5 restores and you hardly ever go back more than one restore if you have a problem.

With only 8Gb left on the C: drive this will fragment very fast and slow down everything.