Coming To Los Whilst Recovering From Surgery

siamsam

Hi fellow visa members, hope you're all well. As mentioned in a previous post I have a torn rotator cuff (supraspinatus), the surgeon, here in the uk, says the the operation to repair the muscle cannot be performed with an arthoscopey, so it's going to be open surgery (yikes!). I have an admission date for April 5th.

I'd initially intended to go to Los in April as I'd assumed I'd be waiting a very long time for the op, considering NHS waiting times. I don't want to delay the op date further, and even more importantly, I don't want to delay my trip to Los either.

The surgeon says it's a major op and I'll be in a sling for a while, so it looks like work is going to be out of sight for a few months :o . So basically it's a toss between rest and recover here in ol' blighty or rest n' recover in Los - Not too hard to decide I here you all say.

But one has to think practical, It's my right arm that will be out of action, luckily I'm left handed - this is an advantage. Washing etc is going to cause problems reguardless of what part of the globe I am. But being in Los, effectively semi'disabled in the acute stage of post-op recovery could make one feel quite vulnerable. Although I will be away from the bright lights and staying in wifeys Hometown, Udon-thani.

Obviously the decision is mine in the end, but what do you guys n' gals think?? Would you make the trip? Any fellow posters can offer any feedback in terms of the operation? As usual your replies are eagerly anticipated. Hope to join y'all in April. Reguards siamsam. :D

Come on over. You'll be fine unless you are prone to dying of jealousy from watching others do water sports like para-gliding. Unless you are in a cast, the water will be fine for wading and such and maybe the doc will ok you for light exercise in the water as well.

I lived through two months here in a wheelchair once, so a sling is nothing. My time being invalid was full of pleasent surprises from the locals too. When you are in need is when their better persona rises

Come on over. You'll be fine unless you are prone to dying of jealousy from watching others do water sports like para-gliding. Unless you are in a cast, the water will be fine for wading and such and maybe the doc will ok you for light exercise in the water as well.

I lived through two months here in a wheelchair once, so a sling is nothing. My time being invalid was full of pleasent surprises from the locals too. When you are in need is when their better persona rises

Your only concern would have to be infection.

What does your Doc think?

B

Apart from the surgery just make sure your in tip top shape, and get over where the weather is fine! Sun is very healing you know!

As for washing, what are you worried about if your with your wife?!! I'm sure she can lend you a hand, or two! :o

I would suggest that you follow your doctor's advice more than what others here might say. My brother in the USA is having rotator cuff repair surgery and after seeing him last December and how much it impeded his mobility and functioning, I'd be VERY cautious about coming to recoup in Thailand. Many more hazardous situations here and the risk of infection can not be overlooked. You are having major surgery... and preventing problems from developing post-op should be foremost in your mind. I would suggest delaying your travels here.... The sun will still be here when you're ready...and that friendly Issan atmosphere of Udon will still be there too. Better safe than sorry.

But to re-iterate.... you surgeon's advice is what should be paramount in your decision.

B

the thing i would be worryed about is getting an infection in the uk ,not in thaland , the mrsa bug is rife in uk hospitals

thousands die a year tens of thousands catch it and remain ill fot years

you could easily become infected ! probably safer to go to thailand and have the op there !

Edited by andy50

I had to look up the word rotator cuff:

---

Treatment

Doctors usually recommend that patients with a rotator cuff injury rest the shoulder, apply heat or cold to the sore area, and take medicine to relieve pain and inflammation. Other treatments might be added, such as electrical stimulation of muscles and nerves, ultrasound, or a cortisone injection near the inflamed area of the rotator cuff. The patient may need to wear a sling for a few days. If surgery is not an immediate consideration, exercises are added to the treatment program to build flexibility and strength and restore the shoulder's function. If there is no improvement with these conservative treatments and functional impairment persists, the doctor may perform arthroscopic or open surgical repair of the torn rotator cuff.

http://www.answers.com/topic/rotator-cuff-...rotator&hl=cuff

While you contemplate which locale has more health risks, may I offer for your perusal the current Thailand Diseases of The Month discussed currently and conveniently here on thaivisa. However, if you come in April, just about anything is possible to be more prevalent then:

Outbreak Of Hand, Foot And Mouth Disease

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27677&hl=

Dengue fever - is there a cover-up?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27479&hl=

wounds take longer to heal in a hot climate such as LOS .and infection is a real risk.

on ko samet i had a mossie bite that became very infected and had to get on antibiotics .

it grew into a nasty great wound .

It's more the moisture than the heat, I think. Easy for bacteria and fungus to survive in a moist environment. I had a wound on my ankle that took years to heal completely here, and that healed only because I stumbled on the right anti-fungal anti-bacterial creme, finally. Tried many kinds before...

Actually it's the combination of both high humidity and warm climate that encourage bacteria, fungii, and viruses to multiply so much in the tropics. Situations like pautai and ajarn are quite common. And particularly, incision wounds from surgery are very vulnerable.

Don't want to end up like my brother who is awaiting shoulder replacement (titanium ball and socket joint) surgery due to his unhealing rotator cuff problems.

B

the thing i would be worryed about is getting an infection in the uk ,not in thaland , the mrsa bug is rife in uk hospitals

thousands die a year tens of thousands catch it and remain ill fot years

you could easily become infected ! probably safer to go to thailand and have the op there !

I was talking post op infections. Also I have never seen more wounds bites etc. get infected than in S.E Asia.

best policy, talk to your doc.

B