Border Control At The Airport

As I posted in another thread by TGF will be arriving in Glasgow at the end of July for a 2 week holiday on a visitor visa. Thanks again for helping wiht Visa application.

I know she may encounter some questionning from the Border Control official.

While I have told her to tell the truth(we have nothing to hide), is there anything she should bring, or any specific questionning we should prepare for?

She will be travelling alone and while can speak perfect English, she may feel a little nervous.

Thanks in advance...

They will ask her long long she is staying and where and possibly who she will be staying with, I presume you will be there so if so make sure she has your cell phone number. Is Glasgow her first arrival in the UK? if so she will obviously clear Immigration there in the full knowledge that you are only a few steps away.

You are absolutely right in telling her to stick to the truth and not try to elaborate, tell her to try and remain calm and confident, easy for me to say.

Remember the visa is actually Entry Clearance meaning she has been checked and cleared for entry, so unless there has been a significant change since she applied the Immigration Officer would find it difficult to deny entry, and wouldn't really want to.

Tell her to sit back, enjoy the flight and look forward to visiting Nittshill National Park :)

Cheers guy's, yeah Glasgow is her first stop is her first stop in the UK. I will make sure she memorises my town etc

Re brining a rice cooker, it beggers belief, but at least I am guaranteed some authentic cooking every night for 2 weeks :-)

My duplicate account has been deleted... Spoken to the mod's about this already ;-)

Edited by brian272727

This was about a year ago, but for what it's worth: went through Glasgow immigration with my girlfriend w/ tourist visa - the staff were polite and friendly. They did ask several questions, directed at each of us in turn. I prompted my girlfriend a couple of times when she didn't understand and it was not an issue at all. They basically just wanted to know our situation (briefly) and what we planned to do in the UK. They also checked we intended to go back. As another poster stated, your girlfriend already has her visa, so this is a formality. It is definitely not a grilling. I expect you know already, but GLA is a good airport to come in to - quiet and not intimidating for new visitors, unlike LHR.

Cheers guy's, yeah Glasgow is her first stop is her first stop in the UK. I will make sure she memorises my town etc

Re brining a rice cooker, it beggers belief, but at least I am guaranteed some authentic cooking every night for 2 weeks :-)

My duplicate account has been deleted... Spoken to the mod's about this already ;-)

Why bring a rice cooker......... buy her one over here!!!!

You should be careful with duplicate accounts....... you can lose track of yourself too easily!!!!

Cheers for the advice, yeah BKK > Dubai > Glasgow seems to be a good option so fingers crossed it will be fine, she is worried about missing her flight in Dubai but has 3 hours so should be ok.

Re the rice cooker, I said we could get a Thai takeaway the nights we are staying in the house but she insists she brings her own applicance and spices etc She wants to show she can look after me. :)

As I posted in another thread by TGF will be arriving in Glasgow at the end of July for a 2 week holiday on a visitor visa. Thanks again for helping wiht Visa application.

While I have told her to tell the truth(we have nothing to hide), is there anything she should bring, or any specific questionning we should prepare for?

She will be travelling alone and while can speak perfect English, she may feel a little nervous.

Thanks in advance...

Make sure she knows your full name, address she is staying at and you mobile number in case she needs to call you. They may ask her questions along the lines, how long is she staying, where is she staying, who is she staying with, what she intends doing in the UK etc. As long as she can say reply to these she should be ok.

Thanks in advance...

Make sure she knows your full name, address she is staying at and you mobile number in case she needs to call you. They may ask her questions along the lines, how long is she staying, where is she staying, who is she staying with, what she intends doing in the UK etc. As long as she can say reply to these she should be ok.

i took my thai girlfriend thru glasgow last year no problems they were very nice, although i understand your gf will be travelling alone but her english is good so should be ok, just remember to show her the nicest city in scotland, edinburgh. oh by the way i bought a rice cooker from argos for under a tenner.

i took my thai girlfriend thru glasgow last year no problems they were very nice, although i understand your gf will be travelling alone but her english is good so should be ok, just remember to show her the nicest city in scotland, edinburgh. oh by the way i bought a rice cooker from argos for under a tenner.

Yeah, Edinburgh will be my first port of call, the Edinburgh festival is on so we will head through 4 or 5 times I think, is the nicest city in the world at that time of year and I am sure she will love it. Will also try and get tickets for the Military Tattoo and as I said before, we are going camping at a music festival in Inverness with 20 of my mates. I have not told her about the toilets yet though :-)

Will head down to Argos and take a look, a £10 is a bargain and saves her bringing her own.

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah, Edinburgh will be my first port of call, the Edinburgh festival is on so we will head through 4 or 5 times I think, is the nicest city in the world at that time of year and I am sure she will love it. Will also try and get tickets for the Military Tattoo and as I said before, we are going camping at a music festival in Inverness with 20 of my mates. I have not told her about the toilets yet though :-)

Will head down to Argos and take a look, a £10 is a bargain and saves her bringing her own.

Thanks for your advice.

forgot to say hat the £10 price was at the january sales, but argos have a sale on now so might still be worth a look. hope you get tickets for the tatoo at their office although i do think they keep back some tickets which go on open sale for the public the sundaybefoe it starts.