Anyone Riding Down To The Malaysian Motogp 2009?

Bummer Tony. I was really hoping to ride with you!.

Sorry dude- I was really hoping I could do both, but now that the dates have been announced for the Laos trip I have to choose one, and this time I'm choosing Laos since I really don't know hardly any of the guys who might be riding down from Bangkok and my SSR partners in crime are mostly going to be out of the country at that time.

Hope you have a great time! Take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes. I will plan on going in 2010 for sure!

Happy Trails,

Tony

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Phuket so those coming from the north of me I will have to meet in Krabi or something.
Yep, Krabi's a good place to meet.
We need to get RusticCharm to lead us. He did it last year, check it out:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Mala...ti-t219714.html

SB

Not sure about that. I did <deleted> up the paperwork for the Malay side.  :)

But I do know the way to the hotels.

Rustic will you be on a Ducati mate??

I would've been but it looks like I may not be going due to work constraints (see post 52). Just have to decide whether I want to take a week's unpaid leave last week of October. There seems to be a consensus on here to take 2 days there and 2 days back from the South which is easily doable, Krabi-Penang-KL or whatever. But my schedule would be a little different, arriving in KL on the Friday, departing Monday.

Anyone in the South up for this, let me know.

From Bangkok, I'd be stopping at Hua Hin and then straight to Krabi if others want a fast trip or having a stop over in between. Whatever, I'm flexible.

If I can go, that is.

Edited by RusticCharm

• 3 weeks later...
From Eastern we'll be 3... meet up with one more in BKK and ride down to the border 4 of us unless Tony change his mind...

All reports indicate that Laos is a complete mess this rainy season with most roads in terrible shape and repairs not expected to be complete for several months. I've been advised by a number of experienced GT Rider guys that the proposed itinerary for the Kawasaki trip to Laos is ambitious even with perfect road conditions.

So- is it too late for me to join the ride to MotoGP? :)

Not sure if Bard will be back, but Ithailian says he wants to go and I think there are a few others from Bangkok area that are keen to ride down. We'll meet up with ScoobieBootie down around Phuket somewhere and continue from there.

Only a few weeks away- who's still in?

Ride On!

Tony

From Eastern we'll be 3... meet up with one more in BKK and ride down to the border 4 of us unless Tony change his mind...

All reports indicate that Laos is a complete mess this rainy season with most roads in terrible shape and repairs not expected to be complete for several months. I've been advised by a number of experienced GT Rider guys that the proposed itinerary for the Kawasaki trip to Laos is ambitious even with perfect road conditions.

So- is it too late for me to join the ride to MotoGP? :)

Not sure if Bard will be back, but Ithailian says he wants to go and I think there are a few others from Bangkok area that are keen to ride down. We'll meet up with ScoobieBootie down around Phuket somewhere and continue from there.

Only a few weeks away- who's still in?

Ride On!

Tony

Yeah Tony definately man! I PMed everyone (I think) on the TV list and the response was pretty paltry, so everyone please response again and update your status as yes, no, or maybe, and where you are located.

And for those who have never ridden over the boarder before, by all accounts it's pretty simple. Below is the paperwork I am told is needed, plus you will need to make a trip to your land transport office to get either the plate, greenbook, or both translated (depending on who you talk to, some people report that they just ride right through the boarder (stop for passport processing of course) and don't do a thing with the bike when they cross, apart from getting the 30 day insurance (cheap) just over the boarder. To ensure there are no problems greenbook needs to be in your name. I have heard accounts of various levels of success when someone brings a book in someone else's and with a permission letter or bill of sale. Sometimes it's no problem, sometimes it is. If anyone brings a support vehicle, front door window and windscreen tint is illegal in Malaysia, and this has been reported as a problem by some when crossing. It has been suggested that you can keep your windows rolled down at the boarder to avoid problems.

I should have my new plates and green book by Monday so I will update how the translation bit goes. As we all know requirements and fees change over time and from place to place in the LOS.

post-70760-1254449923_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1254449944_thumb.jpg

post-70760-1254449960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scubabuddha

Hey Joe!

Good on ya for keeping this alive and doing the research for the border crossing.

When I inquired about crossing the border into Cambodia the customs officer said we only needed to fill out one form- the "Simplified Customs Declaration Form". Perhaps at the Malaysian crossing they need the other forms as well. That last one, "Crew List" is pretty odd...

Can anyone else confirm that plate/greenbook need to be translated? Hadn't heard that before...

Ride On!

Tony

Hey Joe!

Good on ya for keeping this alive and doing the research for the border crossing.

When I inquired about crossing the border into Cambodia the customs officer said we only needed to fill out one form- the "Simplified Customs Declaration Form". Perhaps at the Malaysian crossing they need the other forms as well. That last one, "Crew List" is pretty odd...

Can anyone else confirm that plate/greenbook need to be translated? Hadn't heard that before...

Ride On!

Tony

I don't know, this is what Bard gave me. I'm sure they have forms there to fill out. I'll probably just fill out the simplified declarations form ahead of time then.

I've heard from a few sources that for Malaysia you need to take vehicle to transport department to be translated, or maybe it was jsut a translating service, not sure. All the cars and trucks down here that travel to Malaysia have a sticker on the back with their license plate translated in English. Plus, and I think I am repeating myself here, when i was going to rent a bike to ride across, the farang owner said he needed to know ahead of time to he gould get "the book translated" at the transport department. Others have just ridden across without doing anything with thier bikes beforehand. Anyway next week I will find out as get my plate and book I will try to go do it.

Tony, the translation is very important. It not only (officially) confirms the bike is yours (in English), it provides you with the appropriate western license plate letters. For cars anyway, affixing a sticker with the western translation of your license plate is mandatory. You also get a Thai "T" when you do the translation. All this is done a Mo-Chit in Bangkok.

When I crossed in a car a couple years ago, no comment about window tint at all...

Good on you guys, I,m not riding/driving there but will be taking my young brother-in-law via Air Asia.

I have seen Thailand plates on cars in Singapore, and they were in Thai script, but I have never crossed the Malay/Thai border myself with a vehicle.

He has not been outside of Thailand before and he is really excited about it.

I am in Phuket so those coming from the north of me I will have to meet in Krabi or something.
Yep, Krabi's a good place to meet.
We need to get RusticCharm to lead us. He did it last year, check it out:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Mala...ti-t219714.html

SB

Not sure about that. I did <deleted> up the paperwork for the Malay side. :)

But I do know the way to the hotels.

Just to clarify here, Rustic Charm is definitely NOT going with us.

<snip> if you haven't anything nice to say, could you please just shut the &lt;deleted&gt; up?! Thanks!

So- here are a couple of ideas for possible itinerary- (I'm pressed for time and need to get down and back as quickly as I can) Others with more time are of course welcome to make it a more leisurely ride.

Plan #1- BKK-Krabi picking up Joe and any other Phuket riders as Khlong Hin near Ao Luk where the 4 (Phet Kasem) and the 44 join:

BKKKrabiMap.jpg

We could meet here ( :) :

KhlongHinRendezvousMap.jpg

Or, if we're feeling a bit more ambitious we could power on BKK to Hat Yai?

BKKSongkhlaHatYaiMap.jpg

This is as far as I've gotten. Busy Monday and I need to get some work done.

Let me know what you think.

Ride On!

Tony

Moderator, thank you for the clean up. :)

Yeah the 44 and 4 junction is probably the msot logical place to meet, although I don't know who this Joe character is. I'm (say it fast) ScubaNinja!!

That all on Thursday or Friday? That's an iron butt from Bkk to Hatyai? Wow. It's good mine will be fresh as a daisy. :D

Edited by Scubabuddha

Several posts have been removed.

Thai Visa would appreciate it if any ill will between members or other online arguments are kept off this forum.

Please keep it civil.

For the record:

Personally I really don't have an opinion on how fast one rides their bike (that is completely your own business & up-to-you), however, co-ercing others to ride at speeds at which they may not be competant at handling their machine, taking the piss or "get with the program if you wanna come along" type commentary, of other members who don't wish to ride so fast for whatever reasons is over the line & un-acceptable.

Thai Visa would appreciate it if any ill will between members or other online arguments are kept off this forum.

Please keep it civil.

For the record:

Personally I really don't have an opinion on how fast one rides their bike (that is completely your own business & up-to-you), however, co-ercing others to ride at speeds at which they may not be competant at handling their machine, taking the piss or "get with the program if you wanna come along" type commentary, of other members who don't wish to ride so fast for whatever reasons is over the line & un-acceptable.

Hi Soundman,

Thank you for deleting several outrageous posts.

Since you feel the need to share your personal opinion "For the Record" I hope you won't mind if I do the same.

I do not ride with inexperienced and/or incompetent riders. They are a danger to themselves and to those around them. For you to say that anyone on this forum has COERCED (your word) someone else into riding at dangerous speeds is irresponsible and just plain wrong.

Absolutely riders need to be "with the program" if they wish to ride into old age. There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are very few old bold bikers. So, if someone wants to ride with our club they better "get with the program" or they are not welcome. How is this a problem for you? Being "with the program" means they must possess the skills and maturity to practice a dangerous sport as safely as possible.

There's a pretty clear distinction between good natured "taking the piss" and coercion! If you can't tell the difference perhaps you should keep your personal opinions to yourself.

Ride On!

Tony

Please keep it civil.

For the record:

Hi Soundman,

Thank you for deleting several outrageous posts.

Since you feel the need to share your personal opinion "For the Record" I hope you won't mind if I do the same.

I do not ride with inexperienced and/or incompetent riders. They are a danger to themselves and to those around them. For you to say that anyone on this forum has COERCED (your word) someone else into riding at dangerous speeds is irresponsible and just plain wrong.

Absolutely riders need to be "with the program" if they wish to ride into old age. There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are very few old bold bikers. So, if someone wants to ride with our club they better "get with the program" or they are not welcome. How is this a problem for you? Being "with the program" means they must possess the skills and maturity to practice a dangerous sport as safely as possible.

There's a pretty clear distinction between good natured "taking the piss" and coercion! If you can't tell the difference perhaps you should keep your personal opinions to yourself.

Ride On!

Tony

+1

:)

Possible now we can we now keep on topic?

Edited by Scubabuddha

Yeah the 44 and 4 junction is probably the msot logical place to meet, although I don't know who this Joe character is. I'm (say it fast) ScubaNinja!!

That all on Thursday or Friday? That's an iron butt from Bkk to Hatyai? Wow. It's good mine will be fresh as a daisy. :D

Coolio ScubaNinja! :D I think you should ride with dive goggles instead of glasses! :D

I'll try and catch up with Ithailian for happy hour tomorrow and we can decide how far we want to go on the first day. I wouldn't mind doing a metric iron butt down to Hat Yai. It would put us in easy striking distance for the ride to Sepang on Friday.

I think we'll leave Bangkok on Thursday the 22nd, but that's not confirmed until I speak with my Ninja twin :D

Later dude!

Coolio ScubaNinja! :D I think you should ride with dive goggles instead of glasses! :D

I'll try and catch up with Ithailian for happy hour tomorrow and we can decide how far we want to go on the first day. I wouldn't mind doing a metric iron butt down to Hat Yai. It would put us in easy striking distance for the ride to Sepang on Friday.

I think we'll leave Bangkok on Thursday the 22nd, but that's not confirmed until I speak with my Ninja twin :D

Later dude!

They're called "masks" Sheesh...amatuers. :D

Mrs. ScubaNinja:

girlninjas.jpg

I think she's wearing a scuba weight belt.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Please keep it civil.

How come I only find these threads after the 'good stuff' is deleted? :)

Just so we a real clear Tony, I do not want to see comments like this:

I'd be a concerned about the ability of a CBR 150 to keep up... The ride from Bangkok to Udon Thani is going to be high speed. ~160-180 km/hr. After that I'm sure we'll slow way down in Laos.

on the forum because less experienced riders will feel the need to step up to the plate to prove their riding ability (that may be lacking) or try to use their machinery beyond it's specified limits.

Comments like this are suggesting you have to be prepared to ride at dangerous speeds to "join the ride", and Thai Visa wants no part of that.

I could take this a step further and ask that forum rules are obeyed, such as not posting about illegal activities (no matter how trivial), however, I am sure you get the picture.

Now, back to topic please. :)

I'd be a concerned about the ability of a CBR 150 to keep up... The ride from Bangkok to Udon Thani is going to be high speed. ~160-180 km/hr. After that I'm sure we'll slow way down in Laos.

160 kph=100mph, 180 kph=111 mph. ????? Someone thinks it is safe to hit that kind of speeds on Thai roads??? On the roads of the United States, where they spend billions of dollars to make sure they are well maintained (like no potholes, no buffalos meandering in front of you), and people sort of obey traffic laws, I would not feel safe hitting those kinds of speeds. In Thailand....not a chance.

160 kph=100mph, 180 kph=111 mph. ????? Someone thinks it is safe to hit that kind of speeds on Thai roads??? On the roads of the United States, where they spend billions of dollars to make sure they are well maintained (like no potholes, no buffalos meandering in front of you), and people sort of obey traffic laws, I would not feel safe hitting those kinds of speeds. In Thailand....not a chance.

Cheers Sub,

I used to cross states like Nebraska, South Dakota, Kansas and parts of Montana at speeds of 100-120 mph. Not dangerous at all- only have to worry about the coppers, but not safety because, as you noted, the interstates are generally in good repair and long lines of sight.

Have you ever driven or ridden to Udon Thani here in Thailand? Highway 2 (aka Mittraphap) is as close to an "interstate" as you'll find in Thailand. Most of it is a 4-6 lane divided highway and there are long stretches that are in perfect repair, arrow straight with wide shoulders, good line of sight, little traffic, no u-turns, no scooters, cows, dogs, buffalo, etc.

Take a look on google earth and you'll find mostly wide open 2 lanes up, 2 lanes down divided highway like this that make up long stretches of the highway to Udon-

MitraphapSatView.jpg

If you're doing less than 120km/hr on this road you'd better be on the shoulder or you'll get run over by a Benz or a Fortuner. I honestly believe that on Thai roads riding too slow is just as dangerous as riding too fast.

Anyway- I'm sorry if I come across as a speed demon or if anyone has felt coerced to ride faster than they are comfortable. I thought we are all adults here and responsible for our own actions. Or maybe not??? :)

Funny thing is, I'm usually one of the slower riders in our club. Many of the other guys have faster bikes and a lot of race track experience and ride a lot faster than I am comfortable with. Do I feel "coerced" to go faster?! Of course not! I find the concept of "peer pressure" laughable.

Happy Trails!

Tony

^^ Sorry but anyone who drives at speeds of 160-180 km/h on a bike on any thai road isn't right by his mind or has straight death wishes.

Especially on the road you mention.If there are no u-turns then you can be sure that they will drive against traffic flow.Just seen it once again today on the 36 road in pattaya.Fast driving highway pattaya-rayong,3 lanes in each direction.Came of the bypass so had to turn left for about 1 km to make the u-turn.The thai driver in front of me however decided to go to the right,against traffic flow,for about 600 meters and then cross the road.

You will be lucky if you meet him at 180 an hour.

just to say have a good, safe, ride down guys; haven't found a bike here yet (still!) so I'll be taking the Air Asia option.

First time to Sepang for me, after yesterday's racing/Stoner's comeback, it'll be a great weekend.

jeeez... Tony mentions one road and then someone else mentions a completely different road and says 'lucky if ya ride this at 180'.

I've ridden the 2 on a Tiger250 and Tony is sure right when he sez sometimes having extra speed is better.

You can either go in the scooter lane at 90-100 or out in the clear right lane at a faster speed also being able to see further down the road.

I do not condone speeding but i will ride at the speed of the road eg: keeping up with other vehicles and overtaking the slower ones, same as i would back in the UK.