Mozilla Firefox (chrome?)

markg

Have used Firefox for a long time, and never had any problems.

Within the last 3 or 4 weeks it appears to have become a bit unstable.

It often comes up with a 'page load error'. Ok this could be internet connection.

However sometimes when i m already connected to the internet and open a new tab and then try to get a page from my bookmarks, it will freeze for a couple of seconds and then come up with something like jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/chrome/en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertieswww.phuketgazette.net

in the address line.

I then hit the back button or the try again button and it may or may not successfully load.

The whole back/try again thing may have to be repeated 3 or 4 times.

I notice in the error message above the word 'chrome'

have i been upgraded to firefox chrome or something? Is this a good thing?

MS keeps bugging me to update to IE8. Should i go back to the dark side and ditch Mozilla in favour of IE8 ??

Have used Firefox for a long time, and never had any problems.

Within the last 3 or 4 weeks it appears to have become a bit unstable.

It often comes up with a 'page load error'. Ok this could be internet connection.

However sometimes when i m already connected to the internet and open a new tab and then try to get a page from my bookmarks, it will freeze for a couple of seconds and then come up with something like jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/chrome/en-US.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertieswww.phuketgazette.net

in the address line.

I then hit the back button or the try again button and it may or may not successfully load.

The whole back/try again thing may have to be repeated 3 or 4 times.

MS keeps bugging me to update to IE8. Should i go back to the dark side and ditch Mozilla in favour of IE8 ??

I've got exactly the same problems and have concluded that Firefox and Chrome don't play together well. Chrome seems to want to dominate the proceedings and Firefox has slowed considerably - I've therefore offloaded Chrome and just use FF and now all is fine once again.

Chrome is the Google browser - and good - and fast. But it has nothing to do with Firefox. I use both Chrome 2 and Firefox 3.5 and have not noticed any recent problems. You might reinstall or install the latest version if not using it. Also be sure any add-ons are current. I also occasionally use IE8 and it is not bad.

The chrome you see is not related to Chrome of Google. You'll find under Firefox profiles a directory called chrome which contains some .css files.

The visible graphical interface features of an application are sometimes referred to as "chrome".[5] Larger widgets, such as windows, usually provide a frame or container for the main presentation content such as a web page, email message or drawing. Smaller ones usually act as a user-input tool.

Source: WiKi

Fun with Firefox chrome

You also could start the safe mode of FF and check if the issue occurs or not

Chrome in Firefox is a directory where FF layout is stored.

And from what I can see in your post something seems to have corrupted it.

Reinstall FF. You can backup your bookmarks and add-ons with a small free utility

MozBackup. It's doing an amazing job

/this time Tywais was faster.... :)

Edited by webfact

You guys are AMAZING !!!!!!!!

OK tried to download the MozBackup thingy but kept getting the 'page load error' thing even though (clearly) i m connected to the internet (Thaivisa plus facebook.)

The version of FF i m using is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11

I THINK i m using FF version 3.0.11 but i m not sure.

I will keep trying and report back any success etc so that others may also benefit.

I do have a few 'add-ons' added to FF but they were only loaded as and when suggested by Firefox itself. I didn't explicitly search for any add-ons. I don't really understand all that to be honest.

It is happening to me too! About one week already.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Page load error. Then I refresh the page and mozilla can download it without problems. This happens 20/30% of times.

It is happening to me too! About one week already.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Page load error. Then I refresh the page and mozilla can download it without problems. This happens 20/30% of times.

Maybe you find something helpful on this site

Error loading Web Sites

Basic Troubleshooting

Edited by webfact

Good advice all round - also run firefox -profilemanger as root in Linux - presume it has an executable in M$, to start a new instance, it might also be the 'safe mode' - create a new instance.

There are a host of variables that might be getting updated without ya OK - tighten up everything and means test it.

Especially with any M$ O/S - thats were all the bogeys are. Dont install any addons, unless its critical.

I had some issues with FF3.xx with Linux, DTA was playing up, and consuming huge RAM resources. Thats how I cleaned it up. Its fine now. Make a copy of ya last known, good .json file and hide it with all your other treasures.

BR>Jack

PS Below is often an ISP (slow) fault. Hit F5 sooner.

I've been having trouble with Firefox 3.5RC2 and RC3

Pages do load MUCH faster with 3.5 but my PC occasionally freezes for a few seconds whilst I'm browsing with it. This never happened with the 3.0 and 3.1.

It definitely is Firefox causing it as my PC works fine when I'm using other programs. Might be an add-on issue but not figured out which one yet

Hope this goes away when the final 3.5 is released very soon

Have the latest version as set to automatic update....

Have the same problem, but found a long time ago if I switch off the router for 2 min then switching it back on clear the problem and it runs fine....

I also run a Dreambox which also will freeze up from time to time, unplugging that for 2 mins also clears the problem, on the DM box it is called static build up.... Can you get static build up on a modem / router??

Quick update.

I tried following suggestions on here last night but just had the 'page load error' for every single link.

Turned the PC off overnight including the modem.

This morning it seems to be working ok - though sometimes it does that and sometimes it doesnt.

Ok, downloaded Mozbackup and have backed up a profile.

Checked on the FireFox home page and my version 3.0.11 appears to be the latest version (not including beta versions)

Checked my add ons. Have AddBlock, AVG Security toolbar, Google Gears, Java quickstarter and Skype extension.

I also noticed i had the Ask toolbar so i deleted that add on as suggested on here somewhere.

The links posted by Webfact on here for Error loading websites and Basic troubleshooting, didnt seem to help me, however, for anyone interested, the basic trouble shooting link has info regarding a clean re-install of firefox if all else fails.

Thanks for your help so far guys.

It's also interesting to note that a couple of other posters are experiencing the same thing as me, and that it's happened recently.

One thing i didnt mention, that is in the back of my mind, is that i use Vuze t0rrent client sometimes.

I don't do port forwarding or anything because either Vuze automatically does it for me, or something else is happening, because the up and download speeds on Vuze are much quicker than BitT0rrent client i used to use, i.e a couple of hundred down and up to 50 or 60 kbs up.

I did wonder if Vuze automatically meddles with port forwarding and maybe this is affecting FireFox. Certainly, when the modem has been rebooted and vuze isnt running or hasnt been run, FF 'seems' to be more stable. Or is this just my imagination?!

Just did some digging and noticed there have been problems reported with Vuze and Firefox.

Do the people on here who say they have problems with Firefox also use a bitT0rrent client like vuze i wonder?

Same problem here.

Have some friends who are very enthusiastic web users, so to say.

Asked a friend in NL to help me around, he took over the computer, and guess........

During loading of a site (looking up server) a short time a message came up with gov.th in it.

Happened while opening a lot of websites.

Strange.

• 1 month later...