Phuket Enforces Draconian Internal Security Act

george

Why shouldn't they do this, Draconian or not? They need to have tight, tight security as it's vital for their reputation and for safety. The last meetings were a catastrophe, pure and simple.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The Asian foreign ministers' meeting is scheduled to be held from July 16 to 23. It has been postponed twice since red-shirted protesters broke into a nearby building at the aborted initial meeting in Pattaya in April."

I hope they don't forget about the terrorists that are killing people left and right down south. Think tghey should be as much or more of a concern to the summit. One bomb or shooting will bring down Thailand's curtain.

I live in Pattaya and the traffic was screwed up a week in advance and got worse everday leading up to the conference. Another few nails in the coffin fo the Thailand Tourist Industry, even if nothing happens.

If they were smart they would just bow out of holding the ASEAN conference and let another country take it, until the mess is fixed here.

If they were smart they would just bow out of holding the ASEAN conference and let another country take it

This would certainly please Mr Thaksin, Puea Thai and Red leaders (comprised of several Puea Thai MPs). This is their plan/'hope' of course.... :)

Pattaya also has another Asean summit on Aug 2-8 and one hopes with Mr Thaksin's previously appointed National Security Chief belatedly/finally transferred yesterday, along with extra security measures taken, both the Phuket and Pattaya meets are an all out success.

Edited by baht&sold

“I think what other countries want to see is our ability to host the meeting in an orderly manner," Mr. Abhisit told a news conference.

You think too much, Prime Minister. What YOU and your mates want is an orderly meeting to avoid further loss of face.

I've got a better idea. Why don't they convene the stupid meeting in some isolated place so that the lives of the ordinary citizenry are not disrupted?

Holding a whole city to ransom to stroke the egos of a few politicians and their flunkies is about as inconsiderate as you can get and has no real benefit to anyone.

An even BETTER idea? Substitute the words 'stupid meeting' with 'whinging expats'...

Here's wishing Phuket SUCCESS with the upcoming meeting- and well done taking (unfortunately necessary) precautions to that end. :)

Ditto.

This is a good high profile thing for Phuket, and international confidence raiser should all go well.

Any dislocation and/or disturbances will likely be very localized considering the size of the island.

Why they need to put these meetings in a tourist-location...is just beyond me. Or actually, it is not...it's about money.

And there was I thinking unless there were plenty of flash hotels, plentiful suppies of cheap booze and loose ladies, some sun and sand, nobody would bother to attend. I view most meetings and conventions as being part of the gravy train.

You simply must be American with that attitude. It may suprise you to know that many countries have navys, so stating 'the navy' doesn't actually clarify what countries navy is in Thailand.

Luxemburg Navy?

Possible still having that polished wood steam launch for sight seeing on the lake!

Luxumberg is very pretty by the way.

“I think what other countries want to see is our ability to host the meeting in an orderly manner," Mr. Abhisit told a news conference.

You think too much, Prime Minister. What YOU and your mates want is an orderly meeting to avoid further loss of face.

Not either or, but both.

Internal Security Act

Does it mean Phuket can be declared "state of emergency" like Bangkok a few month ago?

What IS the Internal Security Act?

Its whatever they want it to be.

Big 10-4 on above statement. Whatever the govt wants it to be is what it will be (and subject to daily mutations).

Well after the last attempted meeting I am not supprised.

The part that is worriesom is "take whatever measures are necessary to ensure security"

I agree that something must be done to protect dignataries from other countries. But in my experience here in Thailand "whatever measures are necessary" could be anything.

Good luck guy & gals down in Phukett

They should do like one of the G8 meetings. Hold the event in some castle/mansion far from the city, some place that is easy to cord off some 1km from the site in question and arrest anyone that tries to go over any fence/barricade.

Or draw a line in the sand and shoot anyone that steps over it, but same-same...

Why they need to put these meetings in a tourist-location...is just beyond me. Or actually, it is not...it's about money.

The wealthiest and most powerful men in the world meet once a year in castles throughout Europe and Canada for the Bilderberber & Trilateralist. Unknown politicians have come out of these secret meetings - some editors of major U.S. newspapers are among the elites and yet nothing is written about the secret meetings of the world's movers and shakers - such as small state governor of Georgia, Jimmy Carter, and William Jefferson Blythe Clinton, from tiny Arkansas walked out of these secret meetings and were put at the front of the crowd as candidates for their political party. they were elected President. The elite invitees are flown over the giant walls in helicopters and many armed guards stand near the walls. Many other armed guards stands miles down the road, close it to through traffic and turn back all curious people. Surely the elites from the ASEAN countries know the tricks of the Trilaterlist Group and the Bilderberg Group. No person has ever infiltrated their secret meetings. The Red Shirts will be no match for these powerfully trained armies that guard the rich & famous. Toxin would love to have been here but the military needs to make certain that it beats back the Red Shirts. These thugs of Toxin's can and must be stopped.

with the Navy in town this week.

You simply must be American with that attitude. It may suprise you to know that many countries have navys, so stating 'the navy' doesn't actually clarify what countries navy is in Thailand.

Everybody knows which Navy is in town, even you. So what's the problem? Just mad it's not the Gay Navy? What? Just wondering?

Luxemburg Navy?

Actually, I don't think the girls, or the barstools care which Navy is in port.

What this nasty attitude and the grammar in some of your posts, you must be French. Please clarify what you mean by an "American attitude".

ISOC allows for people to be arrested without any evidence or reason and held for unlimited time. It also provides automatic amnesty to any policeman or soldier or anyone working on their orders. No policemen can be investigated if their crime was committed while the law is enforce.

Since 2007, the Act also considers ISOC one step above the government which is why the PM is the Chairman although most members are military. ISOC need not follow government orders if it deems them unsuitable. The new Act is supposed to be a kind of legal means to form somewhat of a coup via martial law.

They should do like one of the G8 meetings. Hold the event in some castle/mansion far from the city, some place that is easy to cord off some 1km from the site in question and arrest anyone that tries to go over any fence/barricade.

Or draw a line in the sand and shoot anyone that steps over it, but same-same...

I've said all along they should have held it on an island with no roads to the mainland and use the Thai navy to monitor sea travel and then simply monitor air traffic... koh samui, etc. would work well. However, Phuket should be fine as its a long bus ride from Isaan and I'm not sure the protesters would be able to handle the Phuket mafia.

Well i really do not see the point, unless they planning to use this as an excuse to use lethal force.

But 100's if not 1000's of police could not stop the red shirts from breaking into the ASEAN summit in Pattaya, so i really do not see how this law will do the job.

Should 10000 or so of red shirts decide to head over to Phuket, i doubt the law will stop them, as its already been proven that police are useless and only the army in large numbers are capable of doing anything.

I agree. Why not hold the Summit in KL, or S'Pore... Why have it in Phuket? What do they think? The Red Shirts are not going to come?

I have some news for those who feel the checkpoint is a safe gateway to Phuket. This is going to be very bad. If they did it to Pattaya, it will be far easier to do it in Phuket. It is an Island. Once you're on...

There are thousands of ways for the Red Shirts to get on the island without passing through the Gateway.

This will be bad, considering those who blame the gov for the current economy.

This will be fun to watch!

todd

Hey todd, y don't you stop the reds with your special ops guys!? :)

Edited by beerchang

What this nasty attitude and the grammar in some of your posts, you must be French. Please clarify what you mean by an "American attitude".

He means, you stated " The Navy " which actually can be any, but since U.S.A is ruling the world, you speak like you asume their is only 1 Navy, that's what irritates him. :)

I've said all along they should have held it on an island with no roads to the mainland and use the Thai navy to monitor sea travel and then simply monitor air traffic... koh samui, etc. would work well. However, Phuket should be fine as its a long bus ride from Isaan and I'm not sure the protesters would be able to handle the Phuket mafia.

Yes an island without connection would have been better. You think all the reds only reside in Isaan? Half of Bangkok comes from Isaan and I am sure if they get organised would love a paid trip to "bpai teeow". Or you think they don't know the way?

I also don't suppose that they will wear red shirts as it may make it a little too simple for the authorities to herd them around.

I noticed in Iran the protestors wore green, obviously civil disobedience today has to have a team ethic to it.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Half of Bangkok comes from Isaan and I am sure if they get organised would love a paid trip to "bpai teeow".

Actually, since the reds attacked one of the poorest neighbourhoods in Bangkok (in their 'fight for democracy'- or return of Thaksin and a pittance of his frozen 76 billion baht booty;) doubt they'll get much support from poor Din Daeng residents and surrounding poor maket areas. Especially after threatening to blow them all up with gas truck tankers- and when the poor residents had the 'audacity' to try and protect their neighbourhood, the reds shot two of the ex-Isaanites in cold blood (teach 'em for joining the city 'elite'?)

Note in today's Bkk Post breaking news items, Kwanchai of the Red 'We Love Udon' group is off to visit Mr Thaksin for a few days... His 'gang' is pretty much like a pack of swarming dogs. Mr Kwanchai had previously reportedly told square-faced's 'petite' sis Yao-woppa he'd pack it in if he couldn't get more funds. Looks like that's 'no ploblem' now. :D

Red, yellow, blue or hue, personally fed up with the lot, as is the silent majority of Thais no doubt (exception being a few 'odd' Farangs it seems...) :)

Half of Bangkok comes from Isaan and I am sure if they get organised would love a paid trip to "bpai teeow".

Actually, since the reds attacked one of the poorest neighbourhoods in Bangkok (in their 'fight for democracy'- or return of Thaksin and a pittance of his frozen 76 billion baht booty;) doubt they'll get much support from poor Din Daeng residents and surrounding poor maket areas. Especially after threatening to blow them all up with gas truck tankers- and when the poor residents had the 'audacity' to try and protect their neighbourhood, the reds shot two of the ex-Isaanites in cold blood (teach 'em for joining the city 'elite'?)

Note in today's Bkk Post breaking news items, Kwanchai of the Red 'We Love Udon' group is off to visit Mr Thaksin for a few days... His 'gang' is pretty much like a pack of swarming dogs. Mr Kwanchai had previously reportedly told square-faced's 'petite' sis Yao-woppa he'd pack it in if he couldn't get more funds. Looks like that's 'no ploblem' now. :D

Red, yellow, blue or hue, personally fed up with the lot, as is the silent majority of Thais no doubt (exception being a few 'odd' Farangs it seems...) :)

It was more in response to the idea that Phuket being a long bus ride from Isaan, the reds might not pitch.

I don't disagree that the "reds" per se may not be that popular outside their traditional strongholds, but there are millions of Isaan born people residing in Bangkok. I do believe however, that they will more than likely be able to raise quite a rabble in Phuket irrespective of how far the trip may be by bus. How many does it take to make a rabble and cause trouble? 5000? 500?

He means, you stated " The Navy " which actually can be any, but since U.S.A is ruling the world, you speak like you asume their is only 1 Navy, that's what irritates him. :)

I spoke, like there was a hole thread dedicated to the navy being in Phuket , right now.

It coincidentally is the American Navy, but I would have said it JUST the same way if it was the Dalmatian Navy.

I wasn't being particularly complimentary, so don't understand this jingosit charge anyway...

Having lived in France for 10 years I can imagine why some could take nationalist umbrage

at it NOT being the French Navy. And email is 'courielle' au Acdameé Française, but not in practice.

The Navy is The Navy, in English, no matter what country it hails or sails from.

Tempest in a katoey's teacup.

Close enough there is only ONE road. so easily monitored as a choke point,

but the armys tools of the trader can move in easily.

I am sure they will get to Samui eventually, plenty of space for them.

Direct international flights from most or at least several capitals involved too.

Mark even has a favorite Surrat style restaurant to take them too.

Good enough for Britaney Spears good enough for China's FM too.

Edited by animatic

hmmm this is really going to bugger the traffic up :)

July 16 to 23.

I think this is the time for me to do a little tour to Chang Mai & Chang Rai

What's the weather and the traffic like up that way during this period.

It's either that or dig in deeper here at the beach-head and let the rest of the world go by.

:D

It is lovely and humid and hot and wet = welcome.

Traffic is frucked.....Thai Bizness-time up here....

rgdz,

Brewsta outside ChiangMai

Edited by Brewsta

Internal Security Act

Does it mean Phuket can be declared "state of emergency" like Bangkok a few month ago?

What IS the Internal Security Act?

It is (quite literally)whatever it wants to be - the military's trump card