I'm Looking For Nice Area To Live In Chiang Mai

westbounder

Hi,

I posted this last week and I got no responces, so I will try again.

I am a 50 year old American male. After spending the last 6 months in Chiang Mai, I have decided to move there in October. Although I stayed in an apartment in the City, I found there to be a bit too much traffic and noise at night for my liking.

I am looking for a permanent place to rent. A furnished house or furnished apartment will be ok. It must be a very quiet and safe area with quality neighbors, free of barking dogs, bars, road noise and Tuk Tuks, a fitness center nearby would also be a big plus.

I know there are nice places available because I remember looking at a fairly new 3 bedroom house in a nice subdivision last December for 8,000 or 10,000 per month. It was about 15 minutes east of the Airport Plaza Mall. It had a nice pool and fitness center in the middle of the subdivision.

If you know of a place that fits what I am looking for in the City or no more than a 25 minute drive from the moat, I would be interested to hear about it.

I am prepared to pay 8,000 to 13,000 per month maximum rent.

I am looking for experienced advice on the best places or area to live in the Chiang Mai Province. Your answers to my questions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You kindly

There are more threads on housing in the CM forum than restaurants and schools put together. Best off having a search first and the coming back with anything not covered. One of the best ways is to rent a car or bike and drive around for a few days. When you find a prospective place, loiter around at night for the inevitable neighbour with blaring karaoke/dogs and move on if no good. :)

There are more threads on housing in the CM forum than restaurants and schools put together.

jackr always has something interesting, funny or clever to say - sometimes all three. I look forward to his posts. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Laguna estate is 10-15 mins from town, in San sai area. It's quiet, and they have a pool and fitness centre of sorts with sauna, not forgetting a Wawee coffee shop etc. Worth a look. There are loadsa rentals there.

regards Bojo

Moo Ban Wang Tan

Has all you want . . .

nice quiet area, several houses available for rent.

Big pool (currently being refubished)

And a very nice lakeside restaurant.

Happy to show you round, if you like.

Our old house that we rented is still available (I think)

We paid 12,ooo for it - bungalow with 3 beds/2 showers and a nice little garden.

David

It must be a very quiet and safe area with quality neighbors, free of barking dogs, bars, road noise and Tuk Tuks, a fitness center nearby would also be a big plus.

:) No doubt when you find this place of abode you will inform us as to its whereabouts

It must be a very quiet and safe area with quality neighbors, free of barking dogs, bars, road noise and Tuk Tuks, a fitness center nearby would also be a big plus.

:) No doubt when you find this place of abode you will inform us as to its whereabouts

Chok dee finding anywhere free of barking dogs! The rest is possible.

Chok dee finding anywhere free of barking dogs! The rest is possible.

It really is all about luck with the dogs. I'm in Land & Houses in San Sai and there are no barking dogs in our area - extremely quiet and great neighbors. But there could be dogs in the future. Who knows?

I would like to spend a 1 year retreat in Thailand. I have not decided which part of Thailand to stay in. Chiang Mai is top in my list however.

I do have some questions:

a. Is it generally safe for a single Chinese to stay in a remote part of Thailand? Say in Chiang Rai or Nong Khai? I wondering what is the chances of being robbed, mugged and tied while staying alone in a house in a remote part of Thailand.

b. How about dengue, malaria? Are there many incidents? I have googled and read stories of malaria outbreaks in Mukdahan. How can I prevent from contacting dengue and malaria? The water are in general safe to drink in Thailand?

c. I would like to budget 4000 batt monthly for housing, is it too little? Even in Chiang Mai outskirt?

d. I am very much discouraged by the need to do Visa Runs. I wondering are you people seeing it more of a chore than fun on doing Visa Run?

e. I have considered spending my retreat in Laos, Vang Vieng, however it seems the housing rental are generally more expensive than in Chiang Mai, anyone think otherwise?

Thanks hope to hear from all soon.

a. Is it generally safe for a single Chinese to stay in a remote part of Thailand? Say in Chiang Rai or Nong Khai? I wondering what is the chances of being robbed, mugged and tied while staying alone in a house in a remote part of Thailand.

Are you a man or a woman?

Do you mean to stay inside the town or out in the boonies out of town? Chiang Rai and Nong Khai are not that remote and if you are in the center of the city you should have little to worry about.

For future reference, you might get a better response if you start your own thread instead of piggy-backing off someone else's.

When i move to CM, my next door neighbour is english and has a stack of yapping and barking dogs. I know as i have seen and heard them barking at me whan i viewed the house. you might say to me that i have been warned then and perhaps should go elsewhere.

But for me it is a relief. coz my f.....g dogs will now be ok to bark without me constantly shouting to them ''shut the f..k up'' to them all the time. I dont do the shouting where i live at the moment as the dogs next door are thai and dont understand english and dont take any notice, it just entices them to more barking when i shout. then mine start barking. and so it goes on.

all the rest is ok, no tuk tuks, no mocys, no noodle stalls, no swimming pool but stream between me and next door, quality neighbour, i suppose so, as he is english

When i move to CM, my next door neighbour is english and has a stack of yapping and barking dogs. I know as i have seen and heard them barking at me whan i viewed the house. you might say to me that i have been warned then and perhaps should go elsewhere.

But for me it is a relief. coz my f.....g dogs will now be ok to bark without me constantly shouting to them ''shut the f..k up'' to them all the time. I dont do the shouting where i live at the moment as the dogs next door are thai and dont understand english and dont take any notice, it just entices them to more barking when i shout. then mine start barking. and so it goes on.

all the rest is ok, no tuk tuks, no mocys, no noodle stalls, no swimming pool but stream between me and next door, quality neighbour, i suppose so, as he is english

you lost me after "when i move to CM" :)

Do you mean to stay inside the town or out in the boonies out of town? Chiang Rai and Nong Khai are not that remote and if you are in the center of the city you should have little to worry about.

For future reference, you might get a better response if you start your own thread instead of piggy-backing off someone else's.

Thanks for replying. I am a man and I am 40 years old. I won't mind staying anywhere as long as there is broadband for me to connect to the outside world.

I too believe the cities and towns in Thailand are generally safe, I too believe the Thais are in general peace lovers and good neighbours as long as they are not provoked.

However I do still worry being wake up and being mugged, tied, and seeing strangers ransacking your house. Hopefully that won't happen to me, however what could be the chances?

Is it possible for me to get a decent accomodation at 4000 bt / month in Chiang Mai?

However I do still worry being wake up and being mugged, tied, and seeing strangers ransacking your house. Hopefully that won't happen to me, however what could be the chances?

Is it possible for me to get a decent accomodation at 4000 bt / month in Chiang Mai?

I don't think that will happen to you in a 4,000 baht room unless you store a bunch of gold bars under the bed! :)

I don't think that will happen to you in a 4,000 baht room unless you store a bunch of gold bars under the bed! :)

You meant it won't be possible for me to get a 4000 baht room, or I won't get robbed for I am staying in a 4000 baht room?

If it is for the latter, then how would the robber knows if I have had 40000 baht or I have had 40 millions baht? Anyway thanks.

Thanks for replying. I am a man and I am 40 years old. I won't mind staying anywhere as long as there is broadband for me to connect to the outside world.

I too believe the cities and towns in Thailand are generally safe, I too believe the Thais are in general peace lovers and good neighbours as long as they are not provoked.

dont know what the stats are on being mugged in CM, but i would assume very low, and common sense applies when out at night

your post suggests that your security is paramount so i would suggest you look for accomodation where there are security guards on the premises

i used to live at the Royal Lanna hotel, near the night market, so all your needs close by. Security was good and a few expats live there. We paid 5500 bt/mth. No broadband in the rooms however. Wifi is in lobby last time i checked.

as to your other questions, dengue, malaria in town? low to zero i would guess

people here drink bottled or filtered water

visa, apply for a visa before coming (best to do a search in the visa section) visa on arrival will give you 30 days, and any border runs you do after that will give you 15 days

Some other posters could give alternative/cheaper suggestions on accom

Sure, you could find digs that cheap here but they won't be pretty. Spend another k or so and you could be in Baan Thai on Nimmanhaemin.

Sure, you could find digs that cheap here but they won't be pretty. Spend another k or so and you could be in Baan Thai on Nimmanhaemin.

4000 will yet you a quite adequate 3sq metre appartment ( room with bathroom) student type apartment wth university student neighbours. Electricity etc if you are careful but occasionally use the airconditioner safely less than 1000 a month.

The rooms aren't bad and some of the neighbours are quite pretty too :)

4000 will yet you a quite adequate 3sq metre appartment ( room with bathroom) student type apartment wth university student neighbours. Electricity etc if you are careful but occasionally use the airconditioner safely less than 1000 a month.

The rooms aren't bad and some of the neighbours are quite pretty too :D

Not much room to stretch out in a 3 sq metre gaff........ :)

The rooms aren't bad and some of the neighbours are quite pretty too :D

Not much room to stretch out in a 3 sq metre gaff........ :)

Ok I was trying to steal 30 metres of it for me

You meant it won't be possible for me to get a 4000 baht room, or I won't get robbed for I am staying in a 4000 baht room?

If it is for the latter, then how would the robber knows if I have had 40000 baht or I have had 40 millions baht? Anyway thanks.

i have an appartment building located close to superhighway behind Lanna Hospital. Customers are mainly thai students and nurses. We have a very strict kick-out policy if anyone is noisy. we have non-a/c room for 2300 per month definatecly clean keycard entry 12 hr security 8pm to 8 am.

air room 2650. elect 7b / unit so the air will cost you about 4b/hr flat out. net is available (10meg for about 40 cust who use it)

min contract 6 months