Converting .wmv Files To Something My Dvd Player Can Play

torrenova

I've got some files in .wmv format which I can play on the PC but I want to transfer them to a DVD or thumb drive so I can play them in my DVD player. For some reason, this format cannot be read by the DVD player which says it can play anything (but obviously cannot).

I'd prefer something free if possible.

I'm running Win Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2 if that is important.

Easiest way is to use Linux...:)

Otherwise, take a look at Handbrake; it should allow you to transcode from WMV to XVid/DiVX/whatever...but beware there's going to be a quality hit to go from one compression to another.

Quick Media Converter

Not sure but think Windows Movie Maker may be able to convert also - and that is built into Vista - just type the name in search field of start. Believe it is publish movie function in movie maker.

Edited by lopburi3

ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.org/) is an excellent and easy to use free program that can convert almost anything to anything.

Although not free after the initial trail ConvertVID (http://nuclear-coffee.com/ConvertVid) is also excellent and is easier to use.

I believe it is built on the ffmpeg program aboe but has a much nocer GUI and is only $20.00 to buy.

Hope this helps

ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.org/) is an excellent and easy to use free program that can convert almost anything to anything.

Although not free after the initial trail ConvertVID (http://nuclear-coffee.com/ConvertVid) is also excellent and is easier to use.

I believe it is built on the ffmpeg program aboe but has a much nocer GUI and is only $20.00 to buy.

Hope this helps

Or you can use the CLI (yes even under Windows!) and use ffmpeg to convert the file(s) with the following command:

ffmpeg -i file.wmv -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -b 800k -g 300 -bf 2 -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k output.avi

You'll obviously want to change the "file.wmv" and the "output.avi" to reflect your situation.

Windows movie maker should do the trick, just don't get lost in all the "features", just change the output format to something your DVD can read, like mpeg2 (Dvd standard) or DivX/Xvid codec if you go for .avi.

Quick Media Converter

Not sure but think Windows Movie Maker may be able to convert also - and that is built into Vista - just type the name in search field of start. Believe it is publish movie function in movie maker.

I tried this but the only non .wmv options is .avi, which is fine but which turns a 119mb file into a 6gb .avi file !!!!!!!!

Any ideas ?

with ffmpeg the defaults almost always work for me

open term

type

ffmpeg -i myvid.wmv myvid.avi     (enter)

I am not sure it gets any cheaper or easier then that.

Oh forgot to close the term. sorry.  :)

In fact I made ten short mp4's today from wmv's I had edited in windows movie maker.  wmv being the only useful output that it has.  

ffmpeg -i myvid.wmv myvid.mp4

I've got some files in .wmv format which I can play on the PC but I want to transfer them to a DVD or thumb drive so I can play them in my DVD player. For some reason, this format cannot be read by the DVD player which says it can play anything (but obviously cannot).

Try this it converts anything to anything and its free. converter

Cheers, Rick

Google, NCH file converter.

A free, really simple and easy to use piece of software.

I suggest you convert wmv files to either wav or wma format.

If you are serious about music I have never heard a dvd player

that gives decent playback.

You may be asked to update codecs prior to using the above software, just click yes.

I use this software on a regular basis and have never had any problems.

Another option, is to download Audacity (free) open the wmv file with audacity

and save as wav,wma or mp3.

open term

type

In fact I made ten short mp4's today from wmv's I had edited in windows movie maker.  wmv being the only useful output that it has.  

This is a language which I recognise as foreign, understand the odd word here and there but am non the wiser for it. Is this Linux or something ?

if you have nero 7 why not use that ,make my own DVD

open term

type

This is a language which I recognise as foreign, understand the odd word here and there but am non the wiser for it. Is this Linux or something ?

http://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html   I use it in the terminal in linux, but its at the heart of most programs which do these things.  Those programs just make calls to ffmpeg after you select options via GUI  by using the defaults its just faster to use the terminal.  I can be started converting before a program would even be open.  It says its cross platform so maybe it can be used in windows as well.  Worth the time to check out.   I use windows to make the wmv's with movie maker after the NASCAR and fraps programs are done with making the clips.

I see in the link that it is used on windows and mac as well.

Quick Media Converter

I tried this but the only non .wmv options is .avi, which is fine but which turns a 119mb file into a 6gb .avi file !!!!!!!!

Any ideas ?

On XP there's only one option for it - DV AV, uncompressed avi, which indeed could be very large.

If your converting program has any more options - choose a codec for .avi, that would compress it to a manageable size.

download FormatFactory (te vinden op www.pcfreetime.com) en converteer je wmv-files naar vob-formaat. Dat kan je branden op dvd en afspelen op elke dvd-speler.

Succes

Sorry, these are not music files, they are video files. Why they are in this format I do not know.

Ah, that clears things up a bit, try the following link.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

You may have to try different output formats until you find one your player will recognize and play.

They are in this format because wmv files are video files in a compressed format, thats why your computer

is able to play them, it recognizes the codecs, your dvd player does not reconize the codecs and therefore cant play them.

DVD format is a waste these days as players can cope with the normal codex systems in use. Just be sure to burn the DVD in mastered format so it has an index the player can read.

Sorry, but could you simplify that for me please. The player says it can play all kinds including WMA but WMV seems beyond it. What is matered format ?

I would like perhaps to send some things around the world on DVD so I'd like them compatible with newish DVD players.

Thanks

DVD format is a waste these days as players can cope with the normal codex systems in use. Just be sure to burn the DVD in mastered format so it has an index the player can read.

Sorry, but could you simplify that for me please. The player says it can play all kinds including WMA but WMV seems beyond it. What is matered format ?

I would like perhaps to send some things around the world on DVD so I'd like them compatible with newish DVD players.

Thanks

Please refer to post #21 and put an end to this thread. :)

He does not need to waste DVD space with DVD format if he has a new player. But the dvd must be in mastered format rather than live file system (default on Windows). You select other options when you start the format process.

Burn music or pictures and use the disc in any computer, including versions of Windows earlier than Windows XP, or ordinary CD or DVD players that can play MP3s and digital pictures

Disc: CD-R, DVD-R, or DVD+R.

Format: Mastered

What a palaver!

Use DVD Flick. It's free and it works. It will converta and burn your compilations to DVD Video.

Your right ,it's free.I'll add it's easy but my result was a little disappointing some playback fine on some others start and stop like watching eg. Youtube with to slow stream(what it's called I'm not sure).

These are Youtube downloads that play fine through headphones from pc no stop,start.VDO not important so I think make a lead pc.out>T.V.-A.V.in. Only audio,but that's fine, it's the music I want to crank up.

What a palaver!

Use DVD Flick. It's free and it works. It will converta and burn your compilations to DVD Video.

Your right ,it's free.I'll add it's easy but my result was a little disappointing some playback fine on some others start and stop like watching eg. Youtube with to slow stream(what it's called I'm not sure).

These are Youtube downloads that play fine through headphones from pc no stop,start.VDO not important so I think make a lead pc.out>T.V.-A.V.in. Only audio,but that's fine, it's the music I want to crank up.

Clearly not the same situation as the OP. But why would you obtain your music from such a poor quality source as YouTube...unless it's the only source?