Badly Badly Let Down Today. Need 550k Quicker Than A Quick Thing, Any Ideas.

Firstly, there is enough stress, in fact, approaching cardiac levels, without the smart ass comment brigade entertaining themselves with their own perceived wit and repartee. So please don't post if that's you, just resist the urge this is a genuine problem.

The last payment is due on my house today (from me) 550K Bht will release another 1 mill from the bank, the house will be complete in 4 weeks with a full crew in there from tomorrow. A friend who has owed me 15K sterling for a while, promised me faithfully he would transfer me the money yesterday. He did not and is currently 'uncontactable' :) . I have had 24 hours of wailing women, crying and sobbing, about the shame, the loss of face blah blah, and whilst the businesman in me can take a hard pragmatic view of everything the heart in me empathyses with them fully, over letting our excellent builder down. They (Wife and MIL) have been making frantic phone calls without success (funny thing about Thai culture I have learned, they all want Good luck, but hate to see the good fortune of others and love to see when it goes even slightly wrong for others!), so it is going to be down to me to fix. For what is a trivial amount of money relatively speaking, this has caused a lot of problems, and currently I am unable to find extra cash to cover this for approximately two to three months, as I thought the issue was solved.

Any idea's from those who have lived here a while. I cannot go to the bank, but they will release considerable equity on the property once it is completed, that is guaranteed. I need 550K and want to repay in three to four months and am willing to include a 15-20% return rate. The amount of money can be secured here in Thailand. Any ideas? Every positive reply will reduce my blood pressure 5 points.

I don't know if there is any help out there, sorry for the diatribe, maybe I have written so much because I don't have another person to talk to in my own language. I feel a bit isolated at the mo, at least Thai Visa can serve as an agony Aunt :D Can anyone help the Widows Son.

Edited by Tigs

can you try to get a message to your friend who owes 15K and get him to send just just enough to cover the 550K Baht over? do a deal with him on the other money owed that he cant refuse. I was in a similar situation a few months back and that is what I did, it may have cost me a little more in the long run but at least you get to keep the house and your wife the face :)

dont panic, stay calm and good luck.

Edited by onnut

Your bank may offer you a short term loan with the land as a guarantee. I think they call it a "kai for"? Sorry, not sure about how it is pronounced but my friend has done this on several peices of land he owns.

Some lawyers have also offered to release capital against the land as well but their "commission" can be quite high.

can you try to get a message to your friend who owes 15K and get him to send just just enough to cover the 550K Baht over? do a deal with him on the other money owed that he cant refuse. I was in a similar situation a few months back and that is what I did, it may have cost me a little more in the long run but at least you get to keep the house and your wife the face :)

dont panic, stay calm and good luck.

Thanks Onnut

I have called and emailed and texted etc, with no success. I helped him out when he was really in a corner and I fear he promised something he could not deliver and now has buried his head in a bucket and too scared to talk. My messages have been gentle, saying, it's ok just get in touch etc. Had it not been so urgent I would not even lean on him at the moment, but needs must. Thanks for the message, it is comforting to know I am not the only one who has been in a muddle like this. I am not panicking (yet) but boy the womenfolk are.

Howard

We took 4 Mil in total from the bank and we have paid 3M. The house wiill be worth 12M we have just had estimated. The bank will release 3-4Mil if I want it (which I don't need so will not) on completion but the house must be complete. So I am in a bit of a chicken and egg situation with the bank. The land we have was collateral for the bank loan to help build the house. When we started a year ago these numbers were all easy but with the crunch...well that effect has hit many people. Thanks!

I can't bring myself to post something that excludes my perceived wit and repartee - so I won't.

Good luck Tigs - I fear you will need it if you have to post such a request on an open internet forum. Although you reference the "businessman in you", I don't know any decent businessman who ever left himself so exposed on such an important transaction. 840,000 Baht from an uncontactable friend as the critical part of your completion monies - phew!, good businessman - you didn't think to set up a contingency ? :)

If you have borrowed from the bank already (your wife has you mean) to build the house and now you want to borrow more money to complete it.

If you have no money to complete the job , how are you going to pay back the bank and anyone else you borrow from if you have no money .

Its not as if you could sell the place as you have borrowed from the bank , so they are really the owners until you pay up and get your Chanot back.

Banks dont lend money on properties unless they have Chanot title deeds.

I cant see any wise foreigner wanting to part with his cash to you unless of course there is a very good person with tons of cash who wouldnt miss it.

Has your wife thought about borrowing from her home village savings . That can be done also with a very low return interest. But if you dont pay them back you would pay one way or another.

Selling th eproperty would be hard also , theres no market ,its dead.

Good luck

To those of you that have given a bit of helpful advice thanks.

To those of you without the intelligence to read the opening gambit of my post then I hope you have a really miserable weekend. You reap what you sow. I am not from Nigeria, nor am I pulling a scam. I set out a set of circumstances and asked advice. And yes it is an open internet forum, that is why I asked here, because that means access to lots of advice. It may have also crossed your tiny minds that it is also an anonymous, therebye allowing people to ask others they would not normally ask, for ideas concerning sensitive issues. I am 6500 miles away from the guy that has let me down. As teleporting is not a commonplace facility yet then if he does not answer his mobile or my EMails, what would you geniuses suggest I do? Call Interpol? I really hope those of you concerned never find yourselves in a position of isolation with no one to talk to from your own culture and with your first language. You truly make me sick (er) to the core. I specifically did not ask for your judgements or your taunts, just that if you had no help to offer, move on and bully someone else on the forum, as right now I do not need bullying. Those of you concerned are really not very nice people. You don't really have to live with anyone else, but you do have to live with yourself.

Sincere thanks again to those with sensible advice. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend.

To those of you that have given a bit of helpful advice thanks.

To those of you without the intelligence to read the opening gambit of my post then I hope you have a really miserable weekend. You reap what you sow. I am not from Nigeria, nor am I pulling a scam. I set out a set of circumstances and asked advice. And yes it is an open internet forum, that is why I asked here, because that means access to lots of advice. It may have also crossed your tiny minds that it is also an anonymous, therebye allowing people to ask others they would not normally ask, for ideas concerning sensitive issues. I am 6500 miles away from the guy that has let me down. As teleporting is not a commonplace facility yet then if he does not answer his mobile or my EMails, what would you geniuses suggest I do? Call Interpol? I really hope those of you concerned never find yourselves in a position of isolation with no one to talk to from your own culture and with your first language. You truly make me sick (er) to the core. I specifically did not ask for your judgements or your taunts, just that if you had no help to offer, move on and bully someone else on the forum, as right now I do not need bullying. Those of you concerned are really not very nice people. You don't really have to live with anyone else, but you do have to live with yourself.

Sincere thanks again to those with sensible advice. I appreciate it. Have a great weekend.

:D:D ...Well done Tigs....fukc the old whinging, judgmental, anally retentive ba*stards, there are a lot of people on here who seem to get off on other peoples misfortune, problerly to make up for their own dreary, unfullfilled lives... :)

Sorry to say I dont have any concrete solutions for you.....have you got a car you could sell ???....if so that would be quick cash..??.

Soutpeel

The car is a good idea, but I may be able to secure the cash this weekend and just leave the car as collateral, just waiting for a confirmation call. Fingers crossed. You describe the people I mentioned very aptly. You are the first person to put a smile on my face today, thanks. It is a sad trait of humanity that when others are down on their a**e some people find it entertaining and fun. What sad lives. Just so they can gloat a little more, the amount of money I have lost in the last year with the almost complete collapse of an aviation business I had has been scary, but then again, who could have legislated for the oil prices, aviation problems, crippling exchange rates, investment portfolio collapses and the global credit crunch all within the same 12 months. Have a good weekend Soutpeel.

lannarebirth

I appreciate that, I don't know who they are but will send a PM thanks a lot.

Soutpeel

The car is a good idea, but I may be able to secure the cash this weekend and just leave the car as collateral, just waiting for a confirmation call. Fingers crossed. You describe the people I mentioned very aptly. You are the first person to put a smile on my face today, thanks. It is a sad trait of humanity that when others are down on their a**e some people find it entertaining and fun. What sad lives. Just so they can gloat a little more, the amount of money I have lost in the last year with the almost complete collapse of an aviation business I had has been scary, but then again, who could have legislated for the oil prices, aviation problems, crippling exchange rates, investment portfolio collapses and the global credit crunch all within the same 12 months. Have a good weekend Soutpeel.

lannarebirth

I appreciate that, I don't know who they are but will send a PM thanks a lot.

Tigs, hope everything works out for the best... :D

Its actually a sad state of affairs in Thailand these days as regards the types of farangs that are appearing on the scene..

When I came here 8 years, not knowing anyone and coming here to start work, made friends with some geniune guys, who would do anything for you to help you out, some of the guys are still around, but there seems to be more and more farangs here full of their own importance, selfish and thinking somebody owes them something, and wouldnt lift a finger to help their fellow farangs in need.. :)

apologies if someone posted a similar solution.

1) if you still have bank accounts back in the home country, they may allow an emergency overdraft (may even be faster if you can offer some security like shares or other assets?), no questions asked if you have a good credit history. Not sure what interest rates are in your home country. Some bank accounts come with an pre approved overdraft limit, so u need to sheck.

2) cash advance on your credit card? try to arrange an increase in credit limit first then you can max it out. Beware interest rates though.

hope this helps, i do hope your headaches end soon!

Soutpeel

Thanks, yes I know what you mean.

Doggie

I thought of that, but at the moment especially for anything not within the UK, the banks there are tighter than a badgers ar*ehole :)

Vibe

What a great bit of info. I will look at that site seriously for future things. In the meantime as Onnut says the Car seems the best option.

The problem has been the whole short notice shock factor. Think I will take the stance that the world is still turning round, so will sit on the beach tomorrow, have a picnic and count to 10. It is difficult though with the weeping females about!

Just googled it, its called Zopa

http://uk.zopa.com/ZopaWeb/

wow, I have never heard of anything like this, I just had a good look through there website. I should imagine it would be hard to get excepted to borrow money while living in Thailand though. I think the OP should do the car one, it will be cheaper.

Nothing to do with what the money is for or where he is. The scoring will be whether his UK credit profile and income are good enough. I could phone a UK bank and have a 10k overdraft put on an account on the strength of my standing. They would not need to know what it was for.

You've got to put something down as security for this amount. Too many people burned trusting others, just as the OP has been burned by his helper. Foolish not to have a contingency but that is another argument.

The car, gold, shares, credit cards, overdrafts, family back wherever, home banks etc.

Just googled it, its called Zopa

http://uk.zopa.com/ZopaWeb/

wow, I have never heard of anything like this, I just had a good look through there website. I should imagine it would be hard to get excepted to borrow money while living in Thailand though. I think the OP should do the car one, it will be cheaper.

mmmmmm i would jump at the chance to make 20% if i was in thailand but im back home in uk,,,,or sure mate i would help u out as long as everything was above board and i was 100% i would get my money back,,ive money sitting in a bank with nothing to spend it on at present ,,im waiting for pound to bounce back...but hope u get sorted matey good luck

torrenova

I could phone a UK bank and have a 10k overdraft put on an account on the strength of my standing.

well I am elated for you. I am not you and my bank know I live here and they will not do anything right now ie immediately which is what is required, not just for me by the way. It is futile telling me what you can do.

Foolish not to have a contingency but that is another argument.

As I have said this was not legislated for as I was assured everything was 100% ok until yesterday morning when it suddenly was not. And maybe me giving a friend 7 months notice to repay me a loan I had helped him out with was in fact a good contingency to counter soaring exchange rates, the loss of a large investment that Mr Madhoff will never peel enough potatoes to pay back and the complete closing down of the Aviation Industry in which I had a very successful business. If you would read the thread you would see that already pointed out as is the fact I have already mentioned that I have security. Also mentioned is that I started this thread for advice, of which I have had a great deal of good advice, I also said in the thread that I do not at this time want Judgemental, self righteous characters explaining to me how good they are, it doesn't help ok. So do not presume for a moment I have been foolish. I am only foolish to expect that people will read the first two lines of my first post and take any notice.

dmax

Thanks you are a gent. It is true, there are a lot of people struggling to make money work for them at the moment as the banks offer so little. Good luck, just make sure it is safe, and using my PhD in hindsight, make sure it is well spread out :) . I can get money from the UK but it is just the time factor as it is tied up, I have been searching for solutions here to meet the deadline

torrenova
I could phone a UK bank and have a 10k overdraft put on an account on the strength of my standing.

well I am elated for you. I am not you and my bank know I live here and they will not do anything right now ie immediately which is what is required, not just for me by the way. It is futile telling me what you can do.

As I have said this was not legislated for as I was assured everything was 100% ok until yesterday morning when it suddenly was not. And maybe me giving a friend 7 months notice to repay me a loan I had helped him out with was in fact a good contingency to counter soaring exchange rates, the loss of a large investment that Mr Madhoff will never peel enough potatoes to pay back and the complete closing down of the Aviation Industry in which I had a very successful business.

I think you are firing your bullets in the wrong direction - I read torrenova's post as being constructive.

As for the rest of your post, you are now talking complete <deleted> !

If your business was that good you would not be on your arse for 550k Bt. Your business approach is inept - 7 months notice for some friend who blanks you.

It is time Mr Tigs to stop your hyperbole and just repeating other people's posts. My mate in Rayong has the amount you require gathering dust in his safe i.e. the cash is AVAILABLE NOW. Give me the details of security available to him + 2 other good reasons why he should help you.

Firstly, there is enough stress, in fact, approaching cardiac levels, without the smart ass comment brigade entertaining themselves with their own perceived wit and repartee. So please don't post if that's you, just resist the urge this is a genuine problem.

The last payment is due on my house today (from me) 550K Bht will release another 1 mill from the bank, the house will be complete in 4 weeks with a full crew in there from tomorrow. A friend who has owed me 15K sterling for a while, promised me faithfully he would transfer me the money yesterday. He did not and is currently 'uncontactable' :) . I have had 24 hours of wailing women, crying and sobbing, about the shame, the loss of face blah blah, and whilst the businesman in me can take a hard pragmatic view of everything the heart in me empathyses with them fully, over letting our excellent builder down. They (Wife and MIL) have been making frantic phone calls without success (funny thing about Thai culture I have learned, they all want Good luck, but hate to see the good fortune of others and love to see when it goes even slightly wrong for others!), so it is going to be down to me to fix. For what is a trivial amount of money relatively speaking, this has caused a lot of problems, and currently I am unable to find extra cash to cover this for approximately two to three months, as I thought the issue was solved.

Any idea's from those who have lived here a while. I cannot go to the bank, but they will release considerable equity on the property once it is completed, that is guaranteed. I need 550K and want to repay in three to four months and am willing to include a 15-20% return rate. The amount of money can be secured here in Thailand. Any ideas? Every positive reply will reduce my blood pressure 5 points.

I don't know if there is any help out there, sorry for the diatribe, maybe I have written so much because I don't have another person to talk to in my own language. I feel a bit isolated at the mo, at least Thai Visa can serve as an agony Aunt :D Can anyone help the Widows Son.

Hi, i'm new on here but have a solution for you. try this phone number - Kay McDonnell on +66(0)81 737 0552, they advertised about a month ago on Thaivisa in the housing section offering 'fastcash' (i'd give you the URL but 'they' wont let me :D )

I've checked and its still advertised posted by 'Kay'

Hope it helps... and they speaka da lingo :D

Hope it helps, chin up and all that :D

When you REALLY need to borrow money or retreive monies owed by friends you REALLY find out who your friends are,i had a similar situation on money owed from an EX friend in the uk ,he sold a car for me and made all sorts of excuses why he coulnt pay me,in the end we fell out, i sent another REAL friend of mine around to his house at 3am and told him he had bought the debt off me,within a week i had the money ,the guy i sent to collect is not a sort to mess with, i was sorry to resort to that ,but if thats what it takes so be it,......good luck,.

torrenova

As I have said this was not legislated for as I was assured everything was 100% ok until yesterday morning when it suddenly was not. And maybe me giving a friend 7 months notice to repay me a loan I had helped him out with was in fact a good contingency to counter soaring exchange rates, the loss of a large investment that Mr Madhoff will never peel enough potatoes to pay back and the complete closing down of the Aviation Industry in which I had a very successful business. If you would read the thread you would see that already pointed out as is the fact I have already mentioned that I have security. Also mentioned is that I started this thread for advice, of which I have had a great deal of good advice, I also said in the thread that I do not at this time want Judgemental, self righteous characters explaining to me how good they are, it doesn't help ok. So do not presume for a moment I have been foolish. I am only foolish to expect that people will read the first two lines of my first post and take any notice.

dmax

Thanks you are a gent. It is true, there are a lot of people struggling to make money work for them at the moment as the banks offer so little. Good luck, just make sure it is safe, and using my PhD in hindsight, make sure it is well spread out :D . I can get money from the UK but it is just the time factor as it is tied up, I have been searching for solutions here to meet the deadline

I think the ones telling you how foolish you are havent got a pot to piss in and are jealous you have got as far as you have,. bitter and twisted?. i think so,..millionaires or peasants, it hurts not to be nice does it ?.....thailand is an awful place to be short of money,i would hate to HAVE to buy sell/or borrow whilst here, seems you have the opportunist idiots that will lend you at a stupid ratethat end up rich corpses and those that are potless and couldnt lend you a fiver, but are great at critisising,. :)