Most Popular Breed In Many Countries, German Shepherd

it seems like German Shepherd quite a little bit quiet in Thailand. Unlike those population in Europe or America, Why?

Or here, they have such competitor such Thai Ridge Back and Bangkaew?

Who has any problem having GSD in Thailand?

Yes of cause I have 4 GSD dogs and I enjoy having them. I use to have Boxer, Labrador. Now I am not surprise why GSD is the most popular breed in many countries.

Please share...

I always loved German Shepards and when i moved to Thailand two years ago i bought one. At the same time we bought a pekingnese. Got them when they was about 8 weeks old. When i startet to take them outside the GSD was always attacked by the streetdogs. They didnt bother with the pekingnese, but the GSD 8 weeks old and about 3,5 kilo they was after all the time. I had to build a fence around the house to keep him inside and the streetdogs outside. I can asure you that there are many streetdogs in Thailand so it was a big problem. I had to take the dogs in the car and go some fare places to walk them. I tried to take the dogs to some family with dogs so i could sosialise them but the same happend everywere. The result was that my GSD became very scared of other dogs.

No when he is 1,5 year he is very agressive to other dogs. As soon as he see another dog he attachs them, so its not easy to exercice him. I have to find places with no dogs and that is not easy were i live.

Other than that he is very friendly to people and he is a lovely dog.

I always loved German Shepards and when i moved to Thailand two years ago i bought one. At the same time we bought a pekingnese. Got them when they was about 8 weeks old. When i startet to take them outside the GSD was always attacked by the streetdogs. They didnt bother with the pekingnese, but the GSD 8 weeks old and about 3,5 kilo they was after all the time. I had to build a fence around the house to keep him inside and the streetdogs outside. I can asure you that there are many streetdogs in Thailand so it was a big problem. I had to take the dogs in the car and go some fare places to walk them. I tried to take the dogs to some family with dogs so i could sosialise them but the same happend everywere. The result was that my GSD became very scared of other dogs.

No when he is 1,5 year he is very agressive to other dogs. As soon as he see another dog he attachs them, so its not easy to exercice him. I have to find places with no dogs and that is not easy were i live.

Other than that he is very friendly to people and he is a lovely dog.

Its my theory that puppies that are going to grow into larger, and threfore more competitive (threateneing) dogs are quickly identified by street mutts who try to establish dominance over them at an early age. We have a boxer rottweiler cross (I know, it wasn't my idea, the wife arrived home with a cute, wrinkle nosed puppy from the province one day having been told it was pure boxer) who was mercilessly and repeatedly attacked by one of our other dogs, a street mutt we had adopted - until one day it discovered it had teeth, muscles and attitude sufficient to bite back. And bite back he did. viciously and very effectively. Since then, woe betide any street dog who gets close to him. Luckily we have a large yard and he can roam around at will. He's a brilliant guard dog - you would have to be insane or deaf and blind to try to get into the yard while he's out of his cage... Walkies outside are impossible, he's too big and strong now for anyone to control, and he would savage any other dog that came near him. But he gets on fine with our (female) Shitzu and our kids and (most) of our extended family. Actually, he shows rather good judgement of people's personalities and intentions in my opinion...

As for the mutt that gave him so much grief when he was a puppy, he recovered after a prolonged stay at the vet, numerous stitches and physical rehabilitation (it was lucky to still have a throat at all after we finally separated them)- but he has since retreated back to the street and hangs out in another part of the village altogether now - though, bless him, he's still totally devoted to me.

Our neighbour has about 5 German Shepherds, and I notice that he now keeps them inside his yard permanently, presumably because he and they were constantly beset by the packs of street mutts that live in our village whenever he took them out for walks. Its a dogs life in Thailand...

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

My GS is around 8years old now, bought him from an army type camp/farm not far from Phetburi.

Likewise he had a lot of problems in his first couple of years with street dogs having a go at him but he started to hold his own and nothing bothered him until a lad moved in nearby with 2 pitbulls who had a real scrap with him one day, luckily he was fine.

He's never been aggressive with anyone despite having never been castrated though once he starts barking most people & soi dogs tend to give him a wide berth.

Problem he's got nowadays is a reoccurring ear infection that is slowing him up which is a shame. The vet reckons he has gotten it from swimming in bad water and its effecting his balance a bit.

Brilliant temperament and has been a great companion through the years!