Air Asia

RAZZELL

I'm about to book a couple of tickets from BKK to Bali for the end of August beginning of September.

Although the price has gone up from last week, when I looked on the Airasia website, the planes are still 3/4's empty.

Do the prices ever go down nearer the date?

Also, are the "priority seats" at the front and by the emergency exits any bigger or do have do they more leg room?

Or is it just that they enable you to get on and off the plane quicker?

You only pay a few hundred baht extra and a I wondered if it was worth it :)

RAZZ

Just be prepared for the potential of your flight being very very delayed in both directions. The airline doesn't seem to worry about on-time departures. Every time I fly them I have to wait at least an hour longer than their schedule. Because they're a discount airline I'm not so sure they give a ..........

I'm about to book a couple of tickets from BKK to Bali for the end of August beginning of September.

Although the price has gone up from last week, when I looked on the Airasia website, the planes are still 3/4's empty.

Also, are the "priority seats" at the front and by the emergency exits any bigger or do have do they more leg room?

RAZZ

RAZZ

For a flight with Air Asia more than one hour, I always reserve seats at the emergency exit, since they have much better legroom. If you choose the last exit row, the seats also recline (on most planes). The "priority seats" in front of the aircraft don't have better legroom than ordinary seats. I would say it's most for people that are in a hurry, and want to be the first to leave the aircraft.

I choose Air Asia as often as I can when I fly in Asia. They can some times be delayed, but last time I flew with them, I arrived before schedule both ways. And when I can pay half or less in fares compared with Thai Airways or other carrierers, I'm willing to take that risk. have a nice flight!

I agree, two flights last week, both 2 hours late.

Not really worth the savings when you have to sit in the airport all that time.

Agree, also my last two flight were late, but they were from Air France and Cathay :)

I picked up the last connecting flight to Samui for a miracle.....

They also like to cancel flights when its windy . The problem with them cancelling flights is that you have to wait for the next flight which could be in a couple of days as they dont fly more than 1 or 2 flights to some places per day or per week - beware.

The other problem if your half way to your destination such as Kota Kinabalu - Clark Philippines (my experience) was that the flight incoming the next day was also full and the onward flight to the Philippines was also fully booked as well. There were about 30 of us waiting to fly on to Clark. We had to wait for the onward flight to be called and any available seats (passengers not turning up) were alloted to us. I was lucky I got a seat the others had to wait 4 days at Kota Kinabalu for the next flight .

I was also delayed returning as my flight back was cancelled also . This time I was unlucky and had a 4 day wait in the Philippines .

Edited by sunholidaysun1

Just flew Air Asia to the Gold Coast in Australia. The flights had a marginal delay but nothing to get hot under the collar about. All the planes were brand new, which I liked. Going over had no TVs installed yet, and seemed a terrible slow flight. Coming back had the TVs which we paid for and the flight went really quick.

At KL it is amazing how many flights they are running out of their own terminal, shows how the established uninovative carriers have allowed them in and they are wiping the floor with them. Coming back they were the only airline with a queue at the airport. Thai quoted much more expensive, and was via Sydney, Air Asia won hands down, would definitely use them again. All flights were about 3/4 full.

The exit seats do have much more legroom.

RAZZ

I think I've worked it out :)

The website is only showing pre-booked seats. Whereas the price rising is indictaive of fewer seats left.

RAZZ

I can't seem to make a booking nor get customer service through their website. I'm trying to buy a ticket to Bali from KL return using my computer in South Korea. After entering my card in and press payment button, I got a fatal error message 2 weeks ago, reported it to them, it said I'd get a response within 3 days, no response, and I tried again a couple times with no response. The flights are quite cheap, but it's probably best to buy through an office if you can get to one. To bad they don't take Paypal payments. I believe they have offices in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Phuket. Also, most travel agents locally located where they fly sell tickets on AirAsia. I might just see if I can book on Malaysian Air.

I flew them before with no delays or issues by buying from travel agents in Cambodia and Thailand. It's just cheap transportation with no customer service or anything.

The prices don't generally go down closer to the date, but they do a lot of promotions. If you are lucky your Bali trip could get on one of these promotions. (I paid 1.700,- round trip tax etc. included for my Bali trip)

Legspace at the emergency exit. Sad that they charge extra for these now. Asian's seems to fill the plane from the font, and I have always before got a seat at the emergency exit even if I entered the plane after 40-50 other people.

If you look for the promotions you could find "crazy" prices. I just booked a roundtrip mid december Bangkok - Ubon for 160,50 baht, tax included (only paid the tax).

J!!!

The prices don't generally go down closer to the date, but they do a lot of promotions. If you are lucky your Bali trip could get on one of these promotions. (I paid 1.700,- round trip tax etc. included for my Bali trip)

Legspace at the emergency exit. Sad that they charge extra for these now. Asian's seems to fill the plane from the font, and I have always before got a seat at the emergency exit even if I entered the plane after 40-50 other people.

If you look for the promotions you could find "crazy" prices. I just booked a roundtrip mid december Bangkok - Ubon for 160,50 baht, tax included (only paid the tax).

J!!!

In the end I couldn't wait. I paid about 8,0000 return for two with pre-booked seats both ways - still a lot cheaper than travelling by a major airline.

I've never had a problem on domestic flights with Airasia. Infact, I thought they were very good.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

In the end I couldn't wait. I paid about 8,0000 return for two with pre-booked seats both ways - still a lot cheaper than travelling by a major airline.

Hope that's a typo and you have added an extra naught.

My trip to Bali is 2,440 for the two of us, and that includes reserved seats, checked baggage and a gourmet meal :)

I suppose it's all a matter of luck really, finding the cheapo flights in time and then having the flexibility to be able to take advantage.

Datsun240Z

Air Asia: "Now everyone can fly ( die )"

The photo is from the one single Air Asia incident, in which a plane skidded off the runway at Kota Kinabalu International Airport in heavy rain in November 2004. Two pilots and two passengers suffered minor injuries. Otherwise, Air Asia has a sterling safety record.

By the way, I thought the Datsun 240Z was a crap car. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

If you book your flights through ne of their offices do they charge the same prices as online or they go up?

Trying to book online but keep getting an error message so am thinking of going to their Pattaya office and book it there Just wondering of the price difference then?

Anyone knows?

Hope that's a typo and you have added an extra naught.

My trip to Bali is 2,440 for the two of us, and that includes reserved seats, checked baggage and a gourmet meal :D

I suppose it's all a matter of luck really, finding the cheapo flights in time and then having the flexibility to be able to take advantage.

Yeah, it was a typo, 8,000 :)

I missed the 799 baht offer the other week :D

Unfortunately, I couldn't confirm my flights because my gf was working in California/Alaska and wasn't sure when she was going to finish.

In the end it's still cheap :D

RAZZ

I like AirAsia. There are always going to be delays during the rainy season. Last month they were 85% on time. Thai is no better (although, they USED to be). Last time I flew United, I though my late Grandma had been reincarnated as a flight attendant.

Last month I booked the last flight from CM to BKK with Airasia arrive BKK 23h30. My corresponding flight to Euope with China Air was 03h15 , so plenty of time. At CM they announced my flight was delayed 2 hours , so maybe I was in trouble for my corresponding flight, and I told the girl at the check in about this. As Airasia is a point-to-point flight, they are not responsible for connecting flights. I accepted this and just sat there waiting for the plane to arrive. After 1 hour the girl fron Airasia came to find me and explained that the plane would arrive within the next hour, and that I would get a priority seat in front (so that is what they are for!) and they would do everything possible to get me on the connecting flight in time. She also had called ChinaAir to be prepared for a late passenger. Arrive BKK , they unloaded my luggage seperatly just after the plane landed, and instead of having to wait for ther bus, they had arranged a private car - with flashing light- to drive me as a VIP to the deaprtue hall of ChinaAir.

Last month I booked the last flight from CM to BKK with Airasia arrive BKK 23h30. My corresponding flight to Euope with China Air was 03h15 , so plenty of time. At CM they announced my flight was delayed 2 hours , so maybe I was in trouble for my corresponding flight, and I told the girl at the check in about this. As Airasia is a point-to-point flight, they are not responsible for connecting flights. I accepted this and just sat there waiting for the plane to arrive. After 1 hour the girl fron Airasia came to find me and explained that the plane would arrive within the next hour, and that I would get a priority seat in front (so that is what they are for!) and they would do everything possible to get me on the connecting flight in time. She also had called ChinaAir to be prepared for a late passenger. Arrive BKK , they unloaded my luggage seperatly just after the plane landed, and instead of having to wait for ther bus, they had arranged a private car - with flashing light- to drive me as a VIP to the deaprtue hall of ChinaAir.

I think that's pretty good service :)

But I think it goes to show that you have to give yourself a day or so leeway (if possible) with budget airlines to avoid problems with onward connections.

RAZZ

nice story. glad it worked out

I have flown airasia about 10 times now. always gotten what i had paid for and never expected anything more or less. my flights have never been more than few minutes late if even that and i have flown in both high season and rain season

i havent tried other low cost carriers yet but in september i have to fly sin-hkt with tiger airways. i guess i can compare these two for the sample of one flight after that

I've been trying to buy a flight off of their website, I get a site crash with error when trying to pay, report it through the site, tells me they'll contact me within 3 days, and then they never contact me. I went back in 3 times in the past 2 weeks and inquired again, it tells me I'll hear back within 3 days, and ditto; nothing. NO customer service. I did fine buying their flights via travel agents in Cambodia and Thailand with flights running on time, but didn't think they were friendly. Well, they very under paid and it's cheap; just transportation. I think they're too cheap to employ anyone with the skills to man the website and phones. What about the pilots and aircraft maintenance?

I guess I'll use another airline even though it'll cost $200+ more. :)

• 3 weeks later...

new to asean and budget airlines? for the price you pay for your airticket, you will be lucky you arrive alive at your destination. never mind the exits and the seats, the delays. the non-refund when you're late, the non-compensation when the budget airlines themselves are late, and that the trainee air hostess does not spill a pot of hot coffee on your sunday suit.

remember, most of these planes are rejects by other airlines and are re-runs from yesterday's technology of the airline industry today. it 's like an old pc that the museums reject and someone is trying to use it to run programmes on internet 8, or google chrome or mozilla ff.

get it?

Edited by bobright

Today's low cost airlines have new aircrafts not like what you think old and rejected aricrafts. I have been travelling by low cost airlines over the past fews years and have not encounter any safety problem. I flew Air Asia many times and have no experience of any delay or flight cancellation.

new to asean and budget airlines? for the price you pay for your airticket, you will be lucky you arrive alive at your destination. never mind the exits and the seats, the delays. the non-refund when you're late, the non-compensation when the budget airlines themselves are late, and that the trainee air hostess does not spill a pot of hot coffee on your sunday suit.

remember, most of these planes are rejects by other airlines and are re-runs from yesterday's technology of the airline industry today. it 's like an old pc that the museums reject and someone is trying to use it to run programmes on internet 8, or google chrome or mozilla ff.

get it?

Booked flights on 1 june for 5 june price BKK to MEL was $340 , Thai airways was $1000

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, two flights last week, both 2 hours late.

Not really worth the savings when you have to sit in the airport all that time.

:) ON another occasion I was a bit late for boarding by no more than ten minutes because of security check INSIDE airport... worst still was denied boarding and just sat in airport to watch the airasia plane still sitting in front of me even though the plane did not take off for more than one half hour. NOT WORTH IT - AIR ASIA - WILL NEVER BE WORTH IT. ( NO apoplogies, no COMPENSATION OR REFUND OF ANY KIND WAS OFFERED ). DISGUSTING! :D

Edited by bobright