Tomatoes

buffaloe

hello everyone,several months ago there was a posting about some very good tasting tomatoes online.would appreciate a heads up on this subject.please email me because i see that so far the quality has not been there.thank you.buffaloe

hello everyone,several months ago there was a posting about some very good tasting tomatoes online.would appreciate a heads up on this subject.please email me because i see that so far the quality has not been there.thank you.buffaloe

Ah, the difference in cellular construction of tomatoes can be the difference between great flavor and none. The best tomatoes available in Thailand are grown hydroponically and may be purchased for less than 100 Baht per kilo. However, the price for this level of quality is dependent upon volume.

A 280 gram tomato for less than 100 Baht per kilo requires a bulk purchase. Check the price per kg of the big tomatoes in the produce section at Carrefour and you will see the full retail price of a " beef steak" tomato.

Keep posting and you will find an alternate.

Carrefour do sometimes stock the smaller cherry type tomatoes, packed with some of the vine included, and these not only smelled great, but tasted great as well.

Last year I tried growing some cherry tomatoes and was reasonably successful, the main problem being whitefly, or something similar. Having tried to grow tomatoes here for the last couple of years, I have a theory about one major aspect of it: -- that the so-called "potting mix" which is bought in little white hessian bags from garden centres is absolutely useless and contains little in the way of nutrients for growing things like tomatoes.

In fact it very much reminds me of the sort of "soil" you get from the bottom of riverbeds, where the nutrients are washed out. Next time I try to grow some I will hunt about for some organic matter (there is an elephant trekking place nearby, so maybe a visit with a bucket and spade would be worthwhile!!).

Anyway, having my own supply of tasty tomatoes was great, so I will definitely have another go.