On Booting

ignis

Any ideas please

Yesterday my PC was working fine, but latter in the day would suddenly freeze up for a few seconds then run normal did this a few times... It did this when online + in a word document and when nplaying a game [not online] CPU showed on the front of case as running hotter than normal

This morning the Pc starts as normal, Vista desktop starts but as it is loading the PC shuts down/switches itself off before the desktop has fully loaded...

Checked all the fans, all working fine, unplugged all the HDD except the HDD with the OS system.

My thinking is it must be something to do with the CPU ?? Have AMD Socket AM2+ the heatsink feels loose

The issue might have two causes

faulty PSU or problem with your graphic card.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Do you hear any beeps when you fire up your PC?

Report back and state the brand of your motherboard

Edited by webfact

It could also be a RAM issue. Try cleaning the contacts of the RAM bars with a cloth.

have you recently added or replaced some Hardware?

Still I trust its an overheating/power or graphic card issue

Edited by webfact

Unplugged everything and put the case on the table....

The plastic holder on the Asus Motherboard that holds down the heatsink. the clip has broken off... so nothing to hold the heatsink firmly to the CPU

Now I wonder can you buy just that plastic holder, as it is screwed into the motherboard with screws ??

Asus M2N-Plus SLi.....

Or if I can buy another Motherboard the same will there be a problem with the OS and Microsoft as I have genuine duel boot Vista & XP ??

Unplugged everything and put the case on the table....

The plastic holder on the Asus Motherboard that holds down the heatsink. the clip has broken off... so nothing to hold the heatsink firmly to the CPU

Now I wonder can you buy just that plastic holder, as it is screwed into the motherboard with screws ??

Asus M2N-Plus SLi.....

Or if I can buy another Motherboard the same will there be a problem with the OS and Microsoft as I have genuine duel boot Vista & XP ??

My suggestion: Before you "kill" your CPU I would visit a repair shop. Show them the problem.

Be aware if you change your motherboard a new OS installation might be necessary. If you don't have any bare metal restore backup running

I trust there are ways to maintain your OS settings and update the necessary drivers without such backup. There's a thread on this board about it but I couldn't find it.

Other users may step in.

Unscrewed that plastic holder from the motherboard, buzzy today so will go to Pantip 2 tomorrow see if they have a new one, if not drive a bit further to Seer Rangsit IT and hope they will have.

Yes I did a Clone backup of all my hard drives on the 1st July

there is also the option of an aftermarket cooler - and if you operate your comp in a non aircond enviroment in Thailand it is probably a good idea.

Yes never have air con on....... Yes the Heatsink is CoolerMaster Red Copper........ Maybe this is the reason the plastic holder broke ?? it is very heavy and the holder just has a plastic lug 1x only on 2 sides