Firefox Add Ins

torrenova

I know little about add-ins but I'd be grateful if peole would care to post up their suggestions for their favourite good ones (and why) and perhaps warn us about the bad and ugly ones.

My limited searching seems to suggest that some add-ins are not working on FF 3.5 yet and someone said about having to reinstall add-ins so I thought this might be of interest (certainly to me).

Thanks

Hard to say. Normally it works this way. If you upgrade from FF2 to FF3 the install program will automatically check the add-ons for compatibility.

Its true a lot of add-ons are still lacking compatibility with its predecessor FF2 and are not updated yet by the developers.

There is a way to make FF2 add-ons compatible manually (worth a try), because you can rename the .xpi extension into .zip and then change the version number in the install.rdf and later zip it and rename it back to .xpi. Done.

Don't want to go into more details here - its a bit off-topic, but it is possible if you must have an add-on running on your FF3.

I like 3 extensions

IPlocation Geolocation Lookup

WOT

ZoomFox

Edited by webfact

My FF 3.5 addons are:

• Firebug 1.4.0b4
  • Html Validator 0.8.5.8
  • Page Speed 1.0.1.1
  • Web Developer 1.1.8

I solely use FF for web development (I use google chrome for everyday browsing) so the addons are not of much use for non-developers. But all addons I normally used before, works fine also in 3.5.

Thomas

Currently using

BugMeNot (auto password from a central list so you can access sites like NY Times without registering)

FireGestures (adds mouse gestures)

FlagFox (adds flag of country the website is located in)

ForecastFox (weather forecast)

FoxyProxy (proxy management)

Google Toolbar

Orange Dictionary (Thai English dictionary, translate words when you put mouse over them)

I used to use Hotspot Shield Toolbar but it no longer works for me.

I know little about add-ins but I'd be grateful if peole would care to post up their suggestions for their favourite good ones (and why) and perhaps warn us about the bad and ugly ones.

As mentioned by others, Ad-block Plus and No-Script are must haves for blocking unwanted ads (speeds up page loading and thus surfing speeds and have much less cluttered pages) and security while browsing respectively. I would also add Key-Scrambler in the security category. It scrambles your keystrokes when typing so that in case somehow you picked-up so key-stroke tracking malware somewhere, all they will get is non-sensible gibberish (and not passwords and such) if they are monitoring you.

Best way to see whats available and popular is to go to FF's Add-ons page. With FF open, on the menu bar click Tools - Add-ons - Get Add-ons...this will take you to the add-ons page and you can get information on Recommended add-ons or sort them by category and popularity. In this way, you can see what people find useful and are adding on the most.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

As mentioned by others, Ad-block Plus and No-Script are must haves for blocking unwanted ads (speeds up page loading and thus surfing speeds and have much less cluttered pages) and security while browsing respectively. I would also add Key-Scrambler in the security category. It scrambles your keystrokes when typing so that in case somehow you picked-up so key-stroke tracking malware somewhere, all they will get is non-sensible gibberish (and not passwords and such) if they are monitoring you.

Best way to see whats available and popular is to go to FF's Add-ons page. With FF open, on the menu bar click Tools - Add-ons - Get Add-ons...this will take you to the add-ons page and you can get information on Recommended add-ons or sort them by category and popularity. In this way, you can see what people find useful and are adding on the most.

I am now using FF 3.5.

I have many addins including

Downthemall

FEBE (extension back u and restore)

Forecastfox

TinyURL Creator

Feedsidebar (RSS reader)

Gmail Manager

Quickdrag (Drag test to do a search on it)

Most worked after the upgrade and for those that did not it is a 2 minute task to edit the .xpi file to see if it will wqork

Briefly this is done as follows

Rename the .zip file to .zip

Extract the "install.rdf" file

Open this file with a text editor (Notepad)

Search for the line with the text em:maxVersion="3.0.1. (or similar)

Change the version number to 3.5

save the modified file and put it back in to the zip file

Rename the modified Zip file back to an .xpi file

Click on the modified .xpi file for Firefox to intsall it

I had 3 or 4 extensions that claimed they were not suitable for Firefox 3.5, and all worked after this simple treatment.

I am now using FF 3.5.

I have many addins including

Downthemall

FEBE (extension back u and restore)

Forecastfox

TinyURL Creator

Feedsidebar (RSS reader)

Gmail Manager

Quickdrag (Drag test to do a search on it)

Most worked after the upgrade and for those that did not it is a 2 minute task to edit the .xpi file to see if it will wqork

Briefly this is done as follows

Rename the .zip file to .zip

Extract the "install.rdf" file

Open this file with a text editor (Notepad)

Search for the line with the text em:maxVersion="3.0.1. (or similar)

Change the version number to 3.5

save the modified file and put it back in to the zip file

Rename the modified Zip file back to an .xpi file

Click on the modified .xpi file for Firefox to intsall it

I had 3 or 4 extensions that claimed they were not suitable for Firefox 3.5, and all worked after this simple treatment.

Thanks for explaining the procedure I mentioned in my earlier post :)

Edited by webfact

It is simple with Add Ins, just look what is for is for your version eg: if your using FF3.5 it shows if it is for 3.5 or it will say for older version.... Myself always right click and open in new TAB, look at the screen shots, read what it does read reports and reviews if I like it then add it... It is also very simple to disable or remove any Add Ins, so if you don't like it after adding it simply remove it.