Directions.

Having lived up country for most of my stay, I've never travelled out of BKK much. And never on a bike. There's a couple of main routes I'm looking for.

How to get on the main road to:

Pattaya.

Hua Hin.

Kanchaburi.

Google map directions takes you to the toll expressways which we can't ride on. And googling it just gives hotel blurbs.

I'm based in Victory monument, so can anyone give names of the expressways that I need to go on.

Thanks.

To get to pattaya I would head east on Din Daeng Rd, which turns into Rama 9, then take Rama 9 all the way to Srinakarin Road, and go south down Srinakarin until you hit Bang Na Trat road. Bang na trat goes east all the way to chonburi and the same road turns down and goes all the way to pattaya as well. Just watch the signs. I never had any confusion. Have taken it with a honda wave, and cbr 150, and a vfr 400. You also have the option of taking the "by pass chonburi route direct to pattaya" and it is signed well, but I swear its no faster unless its rush hour or you will go 180 on the by pass.

Have never gone to the other places and been the driver.

Pattaya.

Easiest, most direct way is the Bang-Na Trat. Bikes should stick to the dreaded Frontage Road but in all the times I've ridden to Pattaya this way, only once have the BIB tried ( :) ) to stop me when using the main part under the elevated expressway. Some potholes to be wary off on the outbound leg. Inbound, much of the surface has been relaid, so is an improvement.

You can give this a miss and take the 3 highway from Samut Prakan for less stress but in turns into a two lane highway after a while.

Hua Hin.

Over Sathorn bridge to Rama II. Same as above with regards to the Frontage Road which fortunately ends in the outskirts of Bangkok. The BIB seem to be around more on this road. There used to be a 15 km untolled expressway shortcut from Suksawat to the Bang Bon area but as from May 1st this year, toll booths are in operation. :D

Kanchaburi. Only ridden here once. Other posters will know the way a lot better.

Hua Hin.

Over Sathorn bridge to Rama II. Same as above with regards to the Frontage Road which fortunately ends in the outskirts of Bangkok. The BIB seem to be around more on this road. There used to be a 15 km untolled expressway shortcut from Suksawat to the Bang Bon area but as from May 1st this year, toll booths are in operation. :)

Kanchaburi. Only ridden here once. Other posters will know the way a lot better.

Ok option 1 , Hua hin ... Rustic Charm good directions but Sathorn Bridge = Taksin Bridge which you can get onto at the south end of Sathorn Road. Follow signs for Rama II where you will eventually come to a ring road , you then need to go right on to Rama II which merges with the 35 heading for Hua Hin.

Option 2 , find Rama III and head south then go over Bangkok Bridge ( the lower one ) take a left at the second set of lights and follow all the way to the end where the road go`s right onto Rama II and merges with the 35 heading to Hua Hin.

Kanchanaburi:

Find Rama III and head south then go over Bangkok Bridge ( the upper one ) , go through the next junction and then at the next one go left onto Petkasem Road and straight all the way to Nakon Pathom and follow signs for Kanchanaburi.

Edited by coolfusion

Why don't you buy a map or a GPS? Most bookstores have a map section. Ask for 'pairn tee' :) Or maps.google.com and print out some maps before you travel?

GPS is cheap in tesco , or of you want a good selection go to gadget trent on thong lor ( its in a small shopping centre on the left half way up thong lor )

To ask for a map , well , farang pronounce it like ( pen tee ) and it is written in many thai books like this, not the way this op has written it , if you try to pronounce " pairn tee " you are sure to get the dreaded look of pure confusion on the thai staffs face...good luck.

Why don't you buy a map or a GPS? Most bookstores have a map section. Ask for 'pairn tee' :) Or maps.google.com and print out some maps before you travel?

Neither a map nor a GPS nor google will tell you which bridges allow motorcycles...

^^ Thanks. I think the directions given here are good enough for me to find my way out easily enough. Thanks.

^ Yes.

And as the OP said.

Google map directions takes you to the toll expressways which we can't ride on.
Edited by Simonpetterson

" in all the times I've ridden to Pattaya this way, only once have the BIB tried ( ) to stop me when using the main part under the elevated expressway."

LoL.... So many times theyve tried to stop me. It is so funny. Petchaburi, Srinakarin, Bang Na trat, highways. The only time I stop is when the traffic is going too slow, and I dont think theyll ever chase you if your on a bike big.

Pattaya.

Easiest, most direct way is the Bang-Na Trat. Bikes should stick to the dreaded Frontage Road but in all the times I've ridden to Pattaya this way, only once have the BIB tried ( laugh.gif ) to stop me when using the main part under the elevated expressway. Some potholes to be wary off on the outbound leg. Inbound, much of the surface has been relaid, so is an improvement.

You can give this a miss and take the 3 highway from Samut Prakan for less stress but in turns into a two lane highway after a while.

Thanks. The Bang Na Chonburi expressway is toll as well isn't it? Is this the 3 highway from Samut Prakan?

Bikes should stick to the dreaded Frontage Road

Google maps is quite confusing. Should I just get onto Sukhumvit and continue?

I'm just popping down to Si Racha on a cbr 150 tomorrow with a passenger.

Sorry, so there's a road, under the toll expressway?

Yeah, from just past Sukumvit 103 (the next left at a huge intersection with flyoversand new skytrain extension) take that left and it is highway 3 or Bangna-trat Highway. Sta on this road and you'll hit Chonburi, Pattaya, etc, all the way to Trat!

I agree from in Daeng I would take Rama 9 Road out to Srinakarinda, but Phetburi from Victory Monument becomes Pattanakan and also hits Srinakarinda. Head south on Srinakarinda and veer left after the Novotel hotel. You'llend up on highway 3 just the same, but much easier than coming out Sukhumvit! Have fun. The center section of the under-tollway road ist echnically not for bikes but TIT!

Google map link

Have fun and stay safe!

It may sound like pen tee to you, but in Thai its written แผนที่ which is p-air-n t-ee. If you learn to read Thai you will be able to pronounce Thai properly and everyone will tell you you speak Thai chart (ชัด precise/clearly)! Since you can read Thai you will be able to learn new words precisely without learning via mangled transliteration and get the duration right ( แ in แผน is a long vowel) :)

My nickname is แอร์ by the way :D

It may sound like pen tee to you, but in Thai its written แผนที่ which is p-air-n t-ee. If you learn to read Thai you will be able to pronounce Thai properly and everyone will tell you you speak Thai chart (ชัด precise/clearly)! Since you can read Thai you will be able to learn new words precisely without learning via mangled transliteration and get the duration right ( แ in แผน is a long vowel) :)

My nickname is แอร์ by the way :D

Well, I have been saying "panty" for ten years and everybody understands that. I guess that "penty" would also be understood. But if I launched into "p-air-n t-ee" I am fairly certain that I would get that very confused "what language is this Farang trying to inflict on my eardrums?" look.

But thanks for the directions out of BKK. But after my last attempt on a bike to cross the city I think I will take a massive detour via somewhere like Chiang Mai before venturing into the labyrinth of the BKK road system again.

You are not alone about your fear of Bangkok. I know a number of Thais who potter around their local Bangkok area on bike, but won't venture further because they either fear the traffic or are worried about getting lost.

Bangkok is pretty much a grid (of sorts). Just get a map and study it. It helps if you can read some Thai as those yellow short cut signs are invaluable; especially it you are going down some soi and want to get out of it!

I must confess I know little about getting around south bangkok, but like yourself I am a central/north bangkokian! I quite often pass through victory monument.

Google map directions takes you to the toll expressways which we can't ride on. And googling it just gives hotel blurbs.

I'm based in Victory monument, so can anyone give names of the expressways that I need to go on.

Thanks.

When searching on google maps.. click on options--> avoid tolls--> get directions (again) and a new route will appear without tollways:)

peace,

Johan

Since two month I am using a GPS on my scooter.

Picture

I set it up to 'avoid tollways', 'expressways', 'dirt roads' and it works like a charm!

It is easy and much more fun to drive in and around Bkk without worry where you are and if heading the right direction. Sometimes it is impossible to see any road sign, at night or driving between two large tourist buses. The GPS tell you in advance: 'at the next turn keep left...'

It saves me time, gasoline and hassels. The only obstacle if parking in a public place, I unmount the device and take with me.

I'm a newbie to this forum but why does this writer say that he can't go on the toll expressways? Is that because he has one of these little scooters that are so popular here. If not please explain. I am in the market for a real motorcycle, one big enough that it belongs on all roads. If I am prohibited from riding on toll roads even with a 650cc roadster, I want to know it now. But that is what larger motorcycles are for - right? With all due repsect for their usefullness in city traffic, scooters shouldn't be on freeways or toll roads. The wind created by big trucks or on bridges will just blow the little ones off the road. Someone please tell me that the real motorcycles are allowed everywhere!