Bangkok -> Chiang Mai Travel Options

schmutzie

Just wondering what the various options are and their advantages/disadvantages in terms of cost/time/comfort:

VIP bus from Bangkok- first option that always comes to mind - not sure about travel time or cost? Mo Chit or Ekkamai?

Flights are rumored to be cheap - how cheap and what about adding the cost of taxi's to and from airports at both ends?

Mini Vans - had good experience before going Pattaya -> Bangkok. 2 hours, 300 baht for two people. Very comfy. Anything like this for Chiang Mai?

Trains - never taken a train in thailand, so clueless...Any details welcome

Bkk Air are doing about 1400 all up one way right now, beats sitting on a bus all the way.

You also get free snacks in their lunge and free wifi.

Ok, but how much is the taxi from the CM airport to the town - negligible?

I suspect the VIP bus would be 400baht max per person, but will check with my girlfriend. Hang on, I'll check it myself... :)

I find the Thai bus experience quite pleasurable and it allows me to experience the country more than on a plane.

Bkk Air are doing about 1400 all up one way right now, beats sitting on a bus all the way.

You also get free snacks in their lunge and free wifi.

Ok, but how much is the taxi from the CM airport to the town - negligible?

I suspect the VIP bus would be 400baht max per person, but will check with my girlfriend. Hang on, I'll check it myself... :)

I find the Thai bus experience quite pleasurable and it allows me to experience the country more than on a plane.

Oops, BKK Air charges 930baht (Double Bonus fare???) for a one-way. Interesting.

Well, I've been checking up on the flight situation, so to give you an idea, here are

examples from 4 carriers on the same date, one-way:

bangkok air: 930baht + 570baht tax

air asia: 1190baht all incl.

nok air (from DM): 0baht + 1223baht tax (!!??)

thai air: 1800baht all incl. (i think)

very Thai...

apparently taxi's from CM airport to town is approx. 150baht

VIP buses are 10hours drive from bangkok and range from 400-600baht

I recommend taking the overnight train. I've lost count of the times I've made the journey on train and I still enjoy it. You can enjoy the scenery for a while and then sleep before arriving at Chiang Mai the next morning.

If you are traveling with someone get a ticket for an upper and a lower 2nd class sleeper (with a choice of A/c or fan). If you are traveling alone request a lower bunk as they are more comfortable. You can also pay a bit more and get a private first class cabin for 2.

If you do travel by train I'd strongly recommend taking your own food and drink as the food onboard is pretty crappy and the drinks are expensive (as is the food).

the vip bus is probably the cheapest but you will probably need a taxi when you get to CM and although they are not quite as much as the airport trip it sort of cancells that bit out. the flight is the obvious quick option and if you used nok you could go from DMK, getting there is very easy (i wouldnt use 1-2-go again) but the "experience of travel" way must be the train as was stated before. you will also probably need a raxi in CM if you go by rail. have a good trip.