Bangkok Petchabun Lom Sak Nakhon Tai Dan Sai Loei Chiang Khan Nong Khai Motorcycle Ride! 1665 Km In 2 Days!

Recovering from an epic 1665 kilometer weekend ride 32.gif

SSR III Iron Butt! Wow what a ride! CF on a Yamaha R1, Travelmate on a Triumph Tiger, NakedAir on a Yamaha FZ6 and yours truly on a Kawasaki ER6n. :D

Day 1:

Bangkok to Petchabun to Lom Sak to Nakhon Tai to Dan Sai to Loei to Chiang Khan to Nong Khai! 897km!

July4SSRMap.jpg

Awesome ride, but by the end of it I was shattered! Original plan had been to ride Bangkok to Loei. I rode hard all the way to Loei and really didn't pace myself for any additional distance. Loei to Nong Khai was an extra 250km that I had not planned on! :)

SSR III Iron Butt Day Two:

Nong Khai-Udon Thani-Wang Saphun-Chum Phae-Lom Sak-Petchabun-Bangkok! 768 km!

July5SSRMap.jpg

1665 km in two days! Rain for most of day two- wow! Good times and stunning roads- can't wait to ride some of those roads again in good weather.

0600 Departure from Caltex Asoke!

070409SSRRideSm.jpg

First pit stop. Already forgot where...

070409SSRRide2Sm.jpg

Amazing Highway 12! 148.gif

Highway12fromLomSak.jpg

Highway 12 photo stop- we were all grinning like idiots after riding this beautiful road. (Hey, what's CF doing???) 120.gif

070509SSRHwy12PicSm.jpg

Payback's a bitch... 9.gif

070509SSRHwy12Pic1Zm.jpg

Highway 12 both east and west of Lom Sak is one of the most beautiful roads I've ridden in Thailand. Check it out- you won't be disappointed!

070509SSRHwy12Pic2Sm.jpg

070509SSRHwy12Pic3Zm.jpg

Working on some video now.

Happy Trails!125.gif

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Yes an awesome weekend. How many people can say that they drove all the way to Nong kai to eat dinner in a seafood restaurant alongside the Mekong river on a Saturday night and back for work Monday morning?

I also didnt pace myself for the extra 250km after Loei so i was also shattered come days end. Whilst eatting lunch at Loei i felt fine but after eating lunch and when the adrenaline stopped pumping i could feel myself getting tired with every passing minute. I too worked hard on the stretch leading into Loei. Perfect roads, perfect blue skies and perfect corners!

We didnt see much on Nong Kai, a nice dinner and a couple of laps around town before retiring for an early night, knowing we had a long haul the ensuing day ahead of us.

Early wakeup at 5am to the sound of the pouring rain.. but that didnt stop us! Breakfast and powered into the day in full leathers and on our way back to Bangkok. 12 hours of rain and arriving home at around 5pm left me tired, sore and wet. Quick dinner and shower and i slept the best ever for 13 hours straight.

Ready to do it all again this weekend... where we going boys? China and back for the weekend?

photos coming tonight boys! got some good ones of you superbike Pete

I like the white Triumph, nice clean lines and a great colour....and keep it up as far as distance covered, we need a homegrown real life iron-butter (1000 (1600km) miles in under 24 hours / 1500 (2400km) miles in under 36 hours)!

I like the white Triumph, nice clean lines and a great colour....and keep it up as far as distance covered, we need a homegrown real life iron-butter (1000 (1600km) miles in under 24 hours / 1500 (2400km) miles in under 36 hours)!

It sounds good to say "ive done it" but the reality is its quite dangerous as mental fatigue kicks in after around 800 km and so the balance of the trip you would be riding not at your best and on Thai roads one cant be too careful even when they are feeling 100%

Iron Butts are cool for highways and in that respect it would be a piece of cake but challenging roads doing 1600km in 24hrs is a deathwish

It sounds good to say "ive done it" but the reality is its quite dangerous as mental fatigue kicks in after around 800 km and so the balance of the trip you would be riding not at your best and on Thai roads one cant be too careful even when they are feeling 100%

Iron Butts are cool for highways and in that respect it would be a piece of cake but challenging roads doing 1600km in 24hrs is a deathwish

Why do you think I haven't done it (aside from the fact I'm a soft a$$)

Why do you think I haven't done it (aside from the fact I'm a soft a$)

have or havent done it isnt my concern, i was just throwing it out there that TRYING to push oneself to complete 1600km in a 24hr is a dangerous task.

and yes you are a soft a$$, how on earth did you manage it on your honda dream? :)

have or havent done it isnt my concern, i was just throwing it out there that TRYING to push oneself to complete 1600km in a 24hr is a dangerous task.

and yes you are a soft a$$, how on earth did you manage it on your honda dream? :D

IIRC, I was towed along by a pair of not so sweet smelling armoured leggings hanging off the back of an XJR1300..... :)

Heh heh,

Well, we did stop for an excellent lunch in Loei, coffee on the Mekong near Chiang Khan, and dinner in Nong Khai with a beauiful view across the river to Laos.

It was a lot of kilometers but really it didn't feel rushed.

Can't wait to do it again! Perhaps next time to Nan and Chiang Kong and the Golden Triangle. :)

Ride On!

I did my iron butt 1016Km in 13.5hrs

Chiang Khong to Ubon actually bit out from Ubon where i live,,,not tired at all but it was darn cold in Chiang Khon that night and even wearing scandinavian winter cloves my hands where frosen after first 2hrs of riding so i needed to stop in Prayo at 3am

I have to say it was fun,but night time ride in large Hw's are ok and safe,but need to have good head lights.

I would like to do a metric Iron Butt. :) Mebbe do it on the first day. As I will be full of energy then.

Thinking of a route. Any suggestions?

Metric Iron Butt, eh?

How's this:

Caltex Asoke, Bangkok-Petchabun-Lom Sak-Phitsanulok-Den Chai-Lampang-Chiang Rai adds up to 957km of very nice roads. I'm sure we could add another 50km somewhere along the route. Or, continue past Chiang Rai to Mae Sai and you get 1018 km :D When are we going?

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?doflg=ptk&a...234589&z=10

You gonna make it for the BBQ today?

Ride On!

Tony

I would like to do a metric Iron Butt. :) Mebbe do it on the first day. As I will be full of energy then.

Thinking of a route. Any suggestions?

Metric Iron Butt, eh?

How's this:

Caltex Asoke, Bangkok-Petchabun-Lom Sak-Phitsanulok-Den Chai-Lampang-Chiang Rai adds up to 957km of very nice roads. I'm sure we could add another 50km somewhere along the route. Or, continue past Chiang Rai to Mae Sai and you get 1018 km :D When are we going?

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?doflg=ptk&a...234589&z=10

You gonna make it for the BBQ today?

Ride On!

Tony

Apologies Tony.

Have plans or rather the GF made them. Summat about visiting a sick mother.

Chiang Khong to Ubon actually bit out from Ubon where i live,,,not tired at all but it was darn cold in Chiang Khon that night and even wearing scandinavian winter cloves my hands where frosen after first 2hrs of riding so i needed to stop in Prayo at 3am

I have to say it was fun,but night time ride in large Hw's are ok and safe,but need to have good head lights.

It was very cold and I remember there was thick fog that night too! Hopefully we'll do our Iron Butt in daylight! Ride On!

It was very cold and I remember there was thick fog that night too! Hopefully we'll do our Iron Butt in daylight! Ride On!

Tony

Yes there was and i hit to that around 2am and could not see anything, i think speed as as low i could ride with my tank and had to keep visor open and ofcourse as it ws so cold face was freesing and eyes start getting wet and i think the worst was that i was in short cut and really back roads that time, so there was pot holes and i needed to consentrate to GPS,Road and fog all in the same time,, fun,fun fun...

Day time iron butt,, intresting idea 6am-6pm, easy for you guys as you speeding deemos...LOL 1000Km in 12hrs, 83km\h average speed with 4 stops, noooo problem

Tony

Yes there was and i hit to that around 2am and could not see anything, i think speed as as low i could ride with my tank and had to keep visor open and ofcourse as it ws so cold face was freesing and eyes start getting wet and i think the worst was that i was in short cut and really back roads that time, so there was pot holes and i needed to consentrate to GPS,Road and fog all in the same time,, fun,fun fun...

Day time iron butt,, intresting idea 6am-6pm, easy for you guys as you speeding deemos...LOL 1000Km in 12hrs, 83km\h average speed with 4 stops, noooo problem

Yeah Marco!

Good on you for covering over 1000 km through the cold and fog in the dark!

Trent and I left at the crack of dawn from Nan the following morning and there were places where we couldn't see more than 10 meters the fog was so incredibly thick!

Bard already did a metric Iron Butt when we rode from Chiang Rai-Bangkok as he continued on to Rayong. And I seem to recall he did it in less than 12 hours. You'll have no problems covering big distances on your new "Tokyo Tank" :)

Happy Trails!

Tony