Which Os To Buy?

peanut

Hi everyone

I'm buying a new computer soon and after lots of online research I still can't decide which OS to buy for it (I would like to buy the original software).

There's all this talk about Vista not being so much better than XP and now this Windows 7 is rumored to show up soon. So, what to do? Is it worth buying the Vista just to have to dump it in a few months? Or just keep the good old XP for now and wait? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi everyone

I'm buying a new computer soon and after lots of online research I still can't decide which OS to buy for it (I would like to buy the original software).

There's all this talk about Vista not being so much better than XP and now this Windows 7 is rumored to show up soon. So, what to do? Is it worth buying the Vista just to have to dump it in a few months? Or just keep the good old XP for now and wait? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Agreed

If you have XP stick with it do not go to Vista. Windoze 7 is being hyped as a good replacement for XP but it is to soon to say, and who knows what problems you may have unless you are buying new hardware to go with your new OS. One of the many Linux Distros are now good for the adventurous without too many special needs

I bought my laptop in the U.S. with Vista installed.

Will have to say that I prefer XP more, and Vista takes more RAM to run.

Used Vista for a couple of years and new where "everything" was at.

I am still learning about Vista, 1 1/2 years later.

Also, alot of hard & software sold in Thailand is not even compatable with Vista yet.....at least in Hua Hin anyways....that may or may not be a problem where you are at.

I vote for XP.

The release date for Windows 7 has now been made public to October 22nd, so you will have to wait a bit for that.

If you want Windows until then you can buy Vista (Home Premium, Business or Professional) with an update form, this cost around 400 THB more than the version without the upgrade form. I still have to find out what exactly the upgrade form is, but this is what we recently received from our Microsoft distributor: "Windows Vista + Offer Form (คือ สามารถ Upgrade เป็น Windows 7 ได้ เมื่อ Windows 7 วางจำหน่ายแล้ว) and then a price list" it basically just says that you can upgrade.

I'm going to find out in detail what the upgrade means, because if the upgrade is free when Windows 7 comes, then it's not to bad a deal I will say.

Thomas

I would and I am running xp till it runs no more, then installing win7 sp3 if its even need by then.  I am sure it won't be bug free yet but loads better then win7 or sp1 and sp2 will be.   plus you won't need to pay for the high end version to run some of your xp programs the rest of which of course are not being covered by xp mode in win 7 anyway.   Good luck.

Call me a newbie, but I can't figure out how to edit my previous post :)

Anyways, did some reading on the net and it would seem that all Vista (Home Premium, Business & Ultimate) copies purchased after July 1st 2009 will be eligible for free upgrades to Windows 7.

I would however advice you to watch out, because if you go to a shop and buy it tomorrow, the shop is very likely to have bought it before July 1st and then the upgrade option is probably not there after all.

Stick with XP

It always amazes me why people pay good money to M$ for the privilage of being a guinney pig for their latest releases.

Wait till Win7 is a couple of years old or at least Sp2 before you purchase.

:)

You cannot buy Windows 7 until october 22nd in any case, (there is a presale, but that will get you the software around that october date) however any pc that is bought with vista, will entitle you to a free upgrade to windows 7, the period that this goes into affect is actually now (went into affect june 30).

For people that still recommend windows xp, it would be almost ludricous to insist on a antiquated OS to be put on a new machine ! Nah it is ludricous. Your new pc will run Vista just fine, and will run Windows 7 just fine, as no changes have been made to the driver model.

Despite being a self acclaimed newbie, d0ndela gives by far the best advice.

Edited by sjaak327

Thats OK - follow his advice - see if we care that he cant speel ludicrous, 2x.

BR>Jack

For people that still recommend windows xp, it would be almost ludricous to insist on a antiquated OS to be put on a new machine ! Nah it is ludricous. Your new pc will run Vista just fine, and will run Windows 7 just fine, as no changes have been made to the driver model.

BR>Jack

Ah the spelling police, of course that doesn't make my statement any less true now does it.

If you have nothing usefull to add, you might as well keep silent.

BR>Jack

Didn't I read somewhere that Win 7 has an improved spell checker? :)  

Download the Win 7 RC for free, install it on a separate partition to your documents and use until the retail version becomes available.  

^ I wouldn't know I obviously don't use a spell checker, neither does the spelling police, because speel isn't an English word either (at least not in this context) :)

Cost wise it would be better to get Vista with his new Pc though, as it will probably be cheaper to get a heavily discounted OEM windows version that qualifies for free upgrade, then to buy Windows 7 in october, and pay the full retail price.

Edited by sjaak327

Hi everyone

Keep XP..its easier to use..less hassles..and wait for future advice on enhancements and windows 7

I took a bet that you wouldnt grasp the word play on speel and that you would mouth off.

Free drinks

BR>Jack

OMG - another one old-timer - please practice what you preach!!

If you have nothing usefull to add, you might as well keep silent.

PS The jury voted straight-up XP!! Now that is ludicrous!!!

Well not be a complete ass, but I did have something usefull to add. Of course the fact that this seems lost on you, only indicates a lack of understanding on your part.

Surely steering someone in the direction of an 8 year old operating system that will not be enhanced anymore is hardly usefull, not to mention the fact that it is clearly less secure then Vista or Windows 7, and then of course there is also a money issue, as Vista offers a free upgrade to Windows 7, XP doesn't.

The jury seems a bit confused here.

Anyway you might have a superior knowledge on the English language, the same cannot be said about your computer related advice, judging from this thread, and that other one, where you advised someone to go to linux because it has zero viruses, when the OP clearly didn't even ask about Linux...

Edited by sjaak327

XP, went to vista and then went back XP. Win7 when it first comes out will have bugs.. wait a year or two until its stable and just skip over vista. Vista sucks.

You obviously have not tried the Windows 7 RC.

XP, went to vista and then went back XP. Win7 when it first comes out will have bugs.. wait a year or two until its stable and just skip over vista. Vista sucks.

Yep, What people here seem to forget is that Vista was a major (breaking) upgrade, it change the drivermodel, it introduced UAC and file and registry virtualisation, all these things have made Windows much more secure and stable.

Of course this had an immediate influence when Vista was released, hardware that didn't work anymore, software that didn't work anymore, to almost the same extend then when XP was released in 2001. One thing that didn't happen was all the security leaks that have plagued XP and that gave XP the title, most insecure Windows version ever developed by Microsoft, with a long list of exploits and leaks to back up that claim.

In fact even today, XP is much less secure then Vista, and as a Lan Admin, I know what I am talking about, and the ease with which you can bring XP SP3 down (not to mention pre sp2 :) ).

Vista has laid the groundwork for Windows 7, where apart from a few gui changes, no breaking changes have been made.

Therefore the future of Windows 7 seems to be a rock solid one, after 2,5 years of vista, program and hardware incompatiblity will be virtually non existing. Of course your old scanner will not work in Windows 7, if it didn't work on Vista, but recent hardware will work out of the box, the same can be said about most software (virus scanners, dvd emulators and vm software being the usual exception).

Yep, What people here seem to forget is that Vista was a major (breaking) upgrade, it change the drivermodel, it introduced UAC and file and registry virtualisation, all these things have made Windows much more secure and stable.

Of course this had an immediate influence when Vista was released, hardware that didn't work anymore, software that didn't work anymore, to almost the same extend then when XP was released in 2001. One thing that didn't happen was all the security leaks that have plagued XP and that gave XP the title, most insecure Windows version ever developed by Microsoft, with a long list of exploits and leaks to back up that claim.

In fact even today, XP is much less secure then Vista, and as a Lan Admin, I know what I am talking about, and the ease with which you can bring XP SP3 down (not to mention pre sp2 :D ).

Vista has laid the groundwork for Windows 7, where apart from a few gui changes, no breaking changes have been made.

Therefore the future of Windows 7 seems to be a rock solid one, after 2,5 years of vista, program and hardware incompatiblity will be virtually non existing. Of course your old scanner will not work in Windows 7, if it didn't work on Vista, but recent hardware will work out of the box, the same can be said about most software (virus scanners, dvd emulators and vm software being the usual exception).

We know all this, that is why we run Linux servers and desktops.  :)

Ohhhhh wow so many replies here thank you so much everyone.

Although it seems people have divided opinions I've learned at least one useful thing, and that's the possibility of free upgrade when W7 comes out. So I'm gonna ask the shop about this when I buy the computer and then decide.

One more question for those of you who are familiar with Vista (in case I decide to get it).... which Vista??? I mainly need the computer for work (esp. word processor and translation programs) but, of course, I also have pictures, videos etc. (no games). Would it be better to get the Home Premium or the Business and why are many of you complaining about he Ultimate?

Suggest that if you buy a machine without OS try a Linux distro such as Ubuntu. If it provides what you need then you have your [free] answer. Alternatively, if you are buying the machine with OS then XP is unlikely to be offered, W7 is effectively vista .1 and is probably the better option BUT you can't buy it yet, but you could download and install the RC [Release Candidate] and then upgrade to the retail version after launch.

Regards

/edit/ PS Ultimate was supposed to be offer major additional functionality and once the wheels came off the Vista wagon it was left to languish. End result you where paying more for less real delivery, hence the bad feeling. //

Edited by A_Traveller

One more question for those of you who are familiar with Vista (in case I decide to get it).... which Vista??? I mainly need the computer for work (esp. word processor and translation programs) but, of course, I also have pictures, videos etc. (no games). Would it be better to get the Home Premium or the Business and why are many of you complaining about he Ultimate?

No need to buy anything more than the Vista Home Premium, it's cheaper than the Business version but it should support your needs just fine. You can have a look here to see a Vista comparison from Microsoft.