The Farang Show

expatinasia

I received an email inviation to attend the taping of the pilot episode of The Farang Show. My thoughts...the invitation mentioned that the host was a well-known American. I lived in the US for 55 years, and his name was as unfamiliar to me, as mine was to him. The invitation mentioned that the audience members should "dress smart". I thought that long trousers and a long-sleeved shirt would be classy, as did one other fellow. The rest of the audience (10 or so) thought that blue jeans, shorts and T-shirts would be OK. The invitation mentioned a "breakfast buffet"...which consisted of cold rice, and cold watery vegetables. The Thai crew loved it - none of us farangs touched the stuff. We were offered a choice of beverage: warm Coke, warm Sprite, or warm water - no ice was available. Rather than allow us to watch the band practice in the air-conditioned restaurant, "Cat" insisted that we wait on the patio. There was an overwhelming stench of feces. Evidently, all of the soi dogs had left their calling cards for this magical moment. I did catch a few moments of the practice...while the band jammed, a guy PRETENDED to talk in a dead microphone. I'm sure that a short video clip of this guy will have an appropriate voiceover, "...and I'm the announcer Troy Hancock." During the band practice, the keyboardist shouted, "IT'S NOT WORKING!", probably referring to the effect of appearing on The Farang Show to his illustrious musical career. I'm sure that this videotaped suppository will have the production values of American infomercials and religious programming: the show will be taped in an empty room, save for the cast and crew, and taped laugh and applause tracks will be added in post-production.

I saw them taping part of this in Khao Sarn Road last wednesday and to be honest, I never heard any english being spoken, sounded like German or something, and also, it looked a right shambles. Had I appeared in it, I may have given it a sparkling write up.

I saw them taping part of this in Khao Sarn Road last wednesday and to be honest, I never heard any english being spoken, sounded like German or something, and also, it looked a right shambles. Had I appeared in it, I may have given it a sparkling write up.

dj pat, slagging a few backpackers there were ye :o

Edited by kreon

This is kinda funny. The mans name is Tony B King. He had a small part of the series in the USA called Dragnet. remember it? He is currently teaching at my school and not a bad person at all. I have listened to him day after day trying his best to bring a funny side to living in Thailand. Yes its new... Give the man a chance and im sure you all will be happy with the end results. I have gotten to see some of the future shows already and what they have planned and it could be ok.

The girls at the school sure do love him lol

I received an email inviation to attend the taping of the pilot episode of The Farang Show.  My thoughts...the invitation mentioned that the host was a well-known American.  I lived in the US for 55 years, and his name was as unfamiliar to me, as mine was to him.  The invitation mentioned that the audience members should "dress smart".  I thought that long trousers and a long-sleeved shirt would be classy, as did one other fellow.  The rest of the audience (10 or so) thought that blue jeans, shorts and T-shirts would be OK.  The invitation mentioned a "breakfast buffet"...which consisted of cold rice, and cold watery vegetables.  The Thai crew loved it - none of us farangs touched the stuff.  We were offered a choice of beverage: warm Coke, warm Sprite, or warm water - no ice was available.  Rather than allow us to watch the band practice in the air-conditioned restaurant, "Cat" insisted that we wait on the patio.  There was an overwhelming stench of feces.  Evidently, all of the soi dogs had left their calling cards for this magical moment.  I did catch a few moments of the practice...while the band jammed, a guy PRETENDED to talk in a dead microphone.  I'm sure that a short video clip of this guy will have an appropriate voiceover, "...and I'm the announcer Troy Hancock."  During the band practice, the keyboardist shouted, "IT'S NOT WORKING!", probably referring to the effect of appearing on The Farang Show to his illustrious musical career.  I'm sure that this videotaped suppository will have the production values of American infomercials and religious programming: the show will be taped in an empty room, save for the cast and crew, and taped laugh and applause tracks will be added in post-production.

Nokmdk has kindly allowed me to post on his account. I was at the farang show on Sunday and enjoyed it. of course to know anything at all about television is to understand that to be part of an audience is quite different than watching an actual show. I was lucky enough one time to watch one of my favorite shows filmed in the UK and to be honest it was boring as boring can be. Mainly I think because you don't get to see all of the pieces of the puzzle come together. I think the show overall, was well done. I kept an open mind cause this was a pilot. The show had very interesting concepts and ideas and I thought the host was charming and engaging and even went out of his way to communicate with the crowd throughout the day. I remember the host from a commercial in the US and an infomercial..thats about it. This is Thailand, who did you expect - Jay Leno? The food was not the greatest but what did we honestly expect, it was free. I didn't notice the crowd of tshirts and shorts as you posted. I had on a suit and from what I observed, the peole around me looked sharp. It was a nice contrast to the typical thai show full of 50 paid students in school uniforms. I am interested to see this when it airs. The concept of a thai and english simulcast is way past due in Thailand and im happy finally we have a show for us (farangs) that will maybe make living here more enjoyable and easier. Although it could have used some work the core concept was good, the host was good, the concept was inovative.. so what if the food wasn't great. Good luck to the Farang show.

This is kinda funny. The mans name is Tony B King. He had a small part of the series in the USA called Dragnet. remember it? Yes its new... Give the man a chance and im sure you all will be happy with the end results. I have gotten to see some of the future shows already and what they have planned and it could be ok.

I remember the original "Dragnet", "Badge 714", the newer version of "Dragnet", and the movie "Dragnet"...and I still don't remember Tony B. King. I had bit parts in "EdTV" (with Liz Hurley) and "What Dreams May Come" (with Robin Williams), but that doesn't make me a successful talk show host.

I remember the original "Dragnet", "Badge 714", the newer version of "Dragnet", and the movie "Dragnet"...and I still don't remember Tony B. King.  I had bit parts in "EdTV" (with Liz Hurley) and "What Dreams May Come" (with Robin Williams), but that doesn't make me a successful talk show host.

I remember Dragnet. Mainly cause it's still on ABC television in its third season I believe. I think Tony King was Det Kirk in the first season. I didn't like the show. Hope the Farang show is better. You sir sound like a bitter extra who didn't make it and trying your luck in asia. I think the guy you are talking about was a principle, and being a former Sag member myself and doing my share of extra work, I think we both know that there is a big difference.