Which Health Insurance?

sinbad

Just read the topic on Bupa's prices increasing. As alternatives to Bupa, somebody mentioned Royal Sun and NSI's health insurance. I can't find any information on their prices or benefits. Does anybody know how they compare to Bupa: how much they are etc - I have previously had the Bupa Emerald package, which costs about 12,000 baht a year. It is coming up for renewal. Please advise.

Just read the topic on Bupa's prices increasing. As alternatives to Bupa, somebody mentioned Royal Sun and NSI's health insurance. I can't find any information on their prices or benefits. Does anybody know how they compare to Bupa: how much they are etc - I have previously had the Bupa Emerald package, which costs about 12,000 baht a year. It is coming up for renewal. Please advise.

An article from another well known site. It starts with BUPA but talks about other options too.

http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/health%20insurance%20options.htm

When I went to BUPA end of 2002. with my wife they quoted her 28K per year, myself 35K py and we had to be both members for at least 2 years (unsure now, it could had been even as long as 2 years) before any baby care is covered. (She was not pregnant then).

All isurance companies have restrictions but I have never heard that both parents have to be members for a specified time to receive any baby coverage.

I was not even living in Thailand (never really have, only frequent or long visits).

Finally, the insurance came from overseas but without it I would have had reconsidered what was on the offer in BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

I am retired US military and Health Visions is a option for us.

How good is Bupa and how much..

Bill

Have a look at Thai Health's website : www.thaihealth.co.th

They have a range of packages available and you can obtain an instant quote online. I think they're a bit cheaper than Bupa too!

:o

I have NSI simply because my insurance agent recommended it over BUPA. He said he has had better luck with claims in addition to NSI giving more coverage for a little less money. I have the Executive plan with a rider. The rider cost about the same as the basic policy. I'm 60 and it cost me 16,800 baht. I just renewed and the premium was the same as last year. Hopefully I'll never need to test it. :o

When I went to BUPA end of 2002. with my wife they quoted her 28K per year, myself 35K py and we had to be both members for at least 2 years (unsure now, it could had been even as long as 2 years) before any baby care is covered. (She was not pregnant then).

All isurance companies have restrictions but I have never heard that both parents have to be members for a specified time to receive any baby coverage.

9 months before claims can be made under a Maternity cover policy- so you can't join knowing you're expecting. This was what I found in 2004.

You can't mean $28,000 USD can you??

skycop :o

An article from another well known site. It starts with BUPA but talks about other options too.

http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/health%20insurance%20options.htm

I was not even living in Thailand (never really have, only frequent or long visits).

Finally, the insurance came from overseas but without it I would have had reconsidered what was on the offer in BKK.

Its a company apparently that works with Retired Military in using "their earned" Medical Tricare. Helps paying copays etc.

The Sarge :o

I am retired US military and Health Visions is a option for us.

How good is Bupa and how much..

Bill

Have a look at Thai Health's website : www.thaihealth.co.th

They have a range of packages available and you can obtain an instant quote online. I think they're a bit cheaper than Bupa too!

:D

IMHO I would stay away from BUPA. My Thai wife contracted a rather rare affliction called achalasia that comes on very slowly and is hard to diagnose in the early stages.

We bought BUPA health insurance for ourselves while planning a trip to Italy, as she needed insurance coverage for the trip and my Cobra was finished anyway.

About nine months later the disease took hold and wouldn't allow her to swallow food or water. After the doctor gave her a barium swallow test, she was diagnosed with achalasia.

When the doctor recommended surgery, we contacted BUPA to let them know she was going under the knife. They kicked it out and refused to cover it because it was a "pre-existing condition"; their reason being that it takes years for achalasia to become critical and she must have had it before we bought the insurance.

This gave new meaning to "pre-existing conditions", in my opinion. :o

Edited by Sojourner

I fully agree. They will try everything to not pay a claim under pre-existing condition. Their Customer "Service" is lousy and lie all the time.

Stay away. Reading the different topics on this forum, there's better alternatives (and cheaper if you want that).

IMHO I would stay away from BUPA.  My Thai wife contracted a rather rare affliction called achalasia that comes on very slowly and is hard to diagnose in the early stages.

We bought BUPA health insurance for ourselves while planning a trip to Italy, as she needed insurance coverage for the trip and my Cobra was finished anyway.

About nine months later the disease took hold and wouldn't allow her to swallow food or water.  After the doctor gave her a barium swallow test, she was diagnosed with achalasia.

When the doctor recommended surgery, we contacted BUPA to let them know she was going under the knife.  They kicked it out and refused to cover it because it was a "pre-existing condition"; their reason being that it takes years for achalasia to become critical and she must have had it before we bought the insurance. 

This gave new meaning to "pre-existing conditions", in my opinion.  :o

My Bupa runs out very shortly. I have the Emerald package. When it runs out I am going to switch to a different company. I am thinking of going with Thai Health Insurance, the WH6000 IPD policy looks like a good choice for me. There policies do look to be a bit cheaper than Bupa. Also considering NSI but still don't know to much about them. Anyone have any experience with Thai Health? They look to be good. When my Bupa runs out, I think I will drop by Thai Health and talk to them about thier policies.

Been folowing this thread and looked a thaihealth site the options pose the question "how much is enough"

Premiums mentioned here range from 12K to 65K a fair difference

How much doctor, hospital health care do you get for your baht in LOS?

Robby

Forget about Thai Health. Went there and they let me pay after my wife talked to the underwriter. I knew about 1 exclusion (very reasonable). Then about 3 days later they come up with exclusions based on NOTHING. Their underwriter did not even ask simple questions. I asked my money back straight away... :-(

Will give AIA or NSI a try to see if they are professional companies.

None of those Thai policies will do you any good if you get really sick. (e.g cancer) - 800K Baht ain't going to get you well again.

Check out the max payout on those schemes - better off using an international company - probably going to cost about $4,000 a year for proper cover - that'll give you cover in the millions of dollars.

Edited by pedro01

I am told by the Thai embassy in NZ that I now have to have health insurance before I can get an A-O visa, a new requirement?

Not on the immigration site.

Anyone had any positive experiences with Thai health insurance companies?

Robby