Live Rugby League

Catalans surprise and overwhelm Saints 35 - 16 after leading 29-0 shortly after half time, and Warrington and Leeds are ready to come on the pitch at the University of Bolton stadium in the next few minutes on a sweltering English summer day (you don't hear that too often, do you?).

Radio Merseyside is quiet just now - hopefully just for a moment - unless Ray French and Allan Rooney are parched hoarse after the first match and have had to adjourn to a handy hostelry to whet their whistles.

Edited by StreetCowboy

As suspected, Allan and Ray have adjourned, and John Lawless is commentating for Radio Merseyside.  Chris Kendall signals for the kick-off.  Bennee Westwood and Chris Hill are the first to get hands on the ball, Jack Walker very competent full back and somehow Warrington get the ball from their first kick and Toby King loses the ball as he crosses the line.

Warrington take a penalty, but when Leeds get their first good possession at the Wire end and Ryan Hall scores and the conversion makes it 6-2... anything could happen in the next 63 minutes

Edited by StreetCowboy

Tom Lineham scores a length of the field special after Richie Myler knocks on at the play-the-ball at the Warrington end, and Warrington are back ahead 8 - 6.  

And it looks like Toby King has snatched the ball out of a confident Ryan Hall's hands from a kick, and Josh Charnley scores in the corner despite  Jack Walker's attentions regardless of how flat the pass was (not a subject for video referee review) and Warrington put some daylight between themselves and Leeds. 

It's James Child in the video referee's box, by the way, and Chris Kendall on the field with the whistle.  And the conversion is good to make it 14-6 

Kevin dummies the Leeds defence, looks around to see where they've gone, and rather than waiting for them to return, he dots the ball down to extend Warrington's lead to 20-6

And Ben Murdoch - Mesilla barges over to stretch their lead to 26  6 at half time, and Leeds could be struggling from here.  And the flags are up!

Edited by StreetCowboy

Leeds fans who have had enough can switch over to Belgrade, where Scotland lead Ireland 16-0 at half time in the Under-19 European Championships

http://www.sportuzivo.tv/v2/stream/index.php?channel=sportuzivo4

And while my internet hotspot has been dead with a flat battery it's 16-12

Ireland equalise in the third quarter and take the lead with the conversion 16 - 18

Edited by StreetCowboy

Leeds have been applying a bit of pressure, and Leeds have scored to narrow the gap but still a long way to go in this second half 26 - 12

Daryl Clark breaks the line and feeds Josh Charnley who scores! to settle Warrington nerves

Edited by StreetCowboy

Scotland and Warrington have extended their leads

and the game at Belgrade finishes 26 - 18 in Scotland's favour, while Ryan Hall is baffled by five attacking players in black, but Toby King goes over in the corner to put that game before Leeds' grasp, and the Wire will be off to Wembley at the end of August

Wembelleee! Wembelleee!

And Bennee Westwood misses the last conversion to leave the score 48 - 12, and I'm off to bed.

Edited by StreetCowboy

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m going to miss the Super 8s when they go back to simple relegation and promotion.  I think the Top 8 would have been enhanced by going straight to a knockout format, or post-division points count double.  The Qualifiers are great, and even if they don’t get promoted, give the best teams in the Championship exposure to Superleague standards. 

I reckon Toronto will go up this year,  and maybe one of London or Toulouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahead of tomorrow's Warrington - Catalans Challenge Cup Final, I bring you the exciting news that Edinburgh Eagles have been selected as the Scottish entrant for next year's Challenge Cup, starting in January.

Wembelleee! Wembelleee! We're going to Wembelleee!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing that most of you are stunned at the Challenge Cup going outside England for the first time.  Think of it the same as Geraint Thomas winning Le Tour de France.

The RFL authorities have decided to sacrifice the dramatic Super-8s in the interests of TV and travel scheduling; to be fair, I don't actually go to the games, and I'm not a big market for pitch-side advertising, so perhaps my view that the Qualifiers are the most exiting part of the Superleague season is irrelevant.  It does put a bit of drama into the end of Leeds' season, though...

What do you all reckon about the latest changes?

Incidentally, I was watching a bit of Top XIV rugby with English commentary, Perpignan v La Rochelle, and I was amazed (and disappointed) that the commentators never saw fit to mention that Perpignan's Catalan neighbours at Stade Gilbert Brutus had been to Wembellee! Wembellee! to lift the Challenge Cup.

5 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You're probably still in shock SC as its not often Wire suffer that type of mauling but you were hammered....totally and decisively.

Luckily the Thaivisa web site was down for the second half.  You wouldn't want to see a grown man cry.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Luckily the Thaivisa web site was down for the second half.  You wouldn't want to see a grown man cry.

Well SC. You may have to cry again!!
Big congratulations for strangling a very deserved win over saints[emoji28]
But I’m afraid that win has now led you on a direct course in the direction of the warriors for the tantalising Grand Final showdown on the 13th!! Hats scarves and gloves at the ready lol
Enjoy. And may the best team win[emoji85]

6 hours ago, Genghis Khant said:

Well SC. You may have to cry again!!
Big congratulations for strangling a very deserved win over saintsemoji28.png
But I’m afraid that win has now led you on a direct course in the direction of the warriors for the tantalising Grand Final showdown on the 13th!! Hats scarves and gloves at the ready lol
Enjoy. And may the best team winemoji85.png

Not sure about the hats and scarves, but I'm sure the gloves will be off on Saturday evening, especially if Ben Flower and Bennie Westwood are playing.

I watched the Toronto - London game last night, and it was a thriller, but if London don't improve their handling they will struggle in Superleague.

I might stay up to watch the Grand Final as well as recording it - I still haven't seen the Semi Final because the recording I'd programmed failed when they replaced "Semi Final 1" in the schedule with "Saint Helens v Warrington".

Very best wishes to Shaun Wayne in Scotland; a perfect send-off forhim, and I’m looking forward to next year’s Grand Final when Warrington might come up trumps.  Getting to two Finals is as much as you can reasonably expect, though I’m sure everyone would say they would rather win one than lose two

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m sat in Sid’s listening to Warrington - Salford and it’s not going well.  WAR 12  - 36 SAL.

”That’s a bad cold you’ve got there, mate”, the chap next to me said.

”No, I’m fine, I’ve had worse”

”Are your eyes watering? Have you been eating raw chopped onions?”

”No, I’m sweating; I was cycling yesterday”

”What’s that you’re listening to?”

”Warrington Salford”

”Never mind, don’t top yourself till full time”

• 3 weeks later...

Challenge Cup Sixth Round

This is the round where the rest of the Superleague clubs join.

And in their first match of the competition it's 

Warrington v Wigan

A re-run of last year's Grand Final.

I'm hoping for a different result from last October, and quietly optimistic given Wigan's poor form this season, and the result last time the teams met at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in March this year.

I don't think the game is going to be live on the wireless....