Live Rugby League

It's a veritable feast of rugby league this evening.

I'm listening to Warrington - Hull KR, a meaningless game at the top of the Qualifiers, both teams are assured of Superleague next season.

At the same time, Wigan  - Wakefield is on Radio Manchester, and Wigan need to win by 90+ points to climb ahead of St Helens and qualify for the semifinals.

Later this evening, Widnes play Catalans, with the loser condemned to the Million Pound game against Leigh.  It's a fascinating end of the season, and there's not a side of the three that I'd like to see missing out on Superleague next season.  I suppose at least if Catalans go down, Toulouse get a derby game...

SC

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, meatboy said:

roll on sunday [1st oct] the NRL GRAND FINAL             STORM V COWBOYS

after last nights semi CAS V SAINTS I don't think I can watch the above, I cant take anymore excitement.

in case you didn't see it SC you cant take your eye's off it.CLOSE GAME:shock1:

12 hours ago, meatboy said:

after last nights semi CAS V SAINTS I don't think I can watch the above, I cant take anymore excitement.

in case you didn't see it SC you cant take your eye's off it.CLOSE GAME:shock1:

Cracking game.  I'm off cycling early tomorrow, so I'll not see the Leeds Hull game until tomorrow night.

On 9/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Cracking game.  I'm off cycling early tomorrow, so I'll not see the Leeds Hull game until tomorrow night.

I'm listening to the Million Pound game between Leigh and Catalans.  What other sport give you match-ups like Leigh - Catalans, Barrow - Toronto, London -  Featherstone?

Am I the only one chortling with glee and anticipation and rubbing one's hands to boot at the prospect of the Superleague Grand Final overnight on Saturday night -Sunday morning?

Cas won the League Leaders Shield by a country mile, but Leeds are always one of the strongest teams at the pointy end of the season.

Sure, and we'd all love Castleford to win and put a new name on the trophy, but how many of us are secretly hoping that Brian McDermott might be tempted into cracking a smile? Just to hear what it sounds like...

SC

watched and listened to Brian McDermott post hull win interview and I thought he was a very proud and relieved man. Sang the praises of his team and the fact the management maintained their faith in him to come good.... which he has done so with a few tail end gritty performances. 

Not often you see a warranted bit of emotion from a northern lad??

looking forward to an entertaining final and may the best team win!!

No drinking too much before the kick off lol. Enjoy SC. I know I will. Cheers

9 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Am I the only one chortling with glee and anticipation and rubbing one's hands to boot at the prospect of the Superleague Grand Final overnight on Saturday night -Sunday morning?

Cas won the League Leaders Shield by a country mile, but Leeds are always one of the strongest teams at the pointy end of the season.

Sure, and we'd all love Castleford to win and put a new name on the trophy, but how many of us are secretly hoping that Brian McDermott might be tempted into cracking a smile? Just to hear what it sounds like...

SC

I shall be sat in my tv.room upstairs [not to be interrupted,as for who I want to win,my heart lies nr.to where I lived in the 70's,but I too am a leeds fan.so sorry cas.

well that's solved that,NO ZAK HARDAKER.

Edited by meatboy

Hello cowboys. 

Castleford cough up too many errors!!

A fast intensive first half but only 7 points in it!!

All to play for but if cas want to win they have to shape up and not rely on their league dominance to win but just play the game as they only know how too!! Game on 2nd half id say!!

1 minute ago, Genghis Khant said:

Hello cowboys. 

Castleford cough up too many errors!!

A fast intensive first half but only 7 points in it!!

All to play for but if cas want to win they have to shape up and not rely on their league dominance to win but just play the game as they only know how too!! Game on 2nd half id say!!

They'll need to put their velcro gloves on and hang on to the ball and complete their sets.

Anything could happen in the next forty minutes

that wasn't CAS,they never seemed comfortable right from the kick off.

Roberts,webster and gale were never in it.even greg eden wasn't his normal self.

it took them 79minutes to post a score,although leeds didn't give them a chance to play like they have all yr.

maybe there is a story behind hardaker not in the team,and add the rest who were.

well done LEEDS.

I fell asleep before the end of the game,  but luckily, I woke up for the coaches' interviews, which I think will be on the edited highlights.

castleford were frustratingly far below their best; I think that was a Castleford problem, not outstanding opposition, and I am sure that if Castleford had played better, then Leeds would have played better as well.

I wish the League Leader's Shield was given higher priority; Castleford has made this season with their exciting rugby, and trounced the best opposition in the league; but as Powell said;" We saved the worst till last".

So roll on The World Cup.  A host of stars from New Zealand and Australia have sworn allegiance to Tonga, so that pool, with New Zealand, Scotland and Samoa should be a cracker; both teams will have a point to prove after Scotland's Four Nations draw with New Zealand.

Chortling with glee and anticipation and rubbing my hands to boot does not  describe the half of it; and at sensible times in the day as well

SC

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

So roll on The World Cup.  A host of stars from New Zealand and Australia have sworn allegiance to Tonga, so that pool, with New Zealand, Scotland and Samoa should be a cracker; both teams will have a point to prove after Scotland's Four Nations draw with New Zealand.

Chortling with glee and anticipation and rubbing my hands to boot does not  describe the half of it; and at sensible times in the day as well

SC

if its anything like the STATE OF ORIGIN games WOW is j.thurston fit.

I hadn't realised Scotland were in one of the Big Boys' Groups this year - Group B, 3 out of 4 qualify for the Quarter-Finals, so we just need to finish ahead of either one of Samoa or Tonga - or go one better against the Kiwis and beat them for the first time in any code of rugby.  It seems like Lebanon really got the shitty end of stick, with Australia, England and France in their group.

I've got to fancy Wales to go through ahead of Ireland or Papua New Guinea, but USA - Italy - Fiji should be drama all the way

SC

• 2 weeks later...

All the world cup games are live on Astro (Supersports 3, I think), so probably on True as well.

Maybe not all... I checked the schedule, and it seems in the first round, matches 4 and 7 are not being shown.  I didn't do a thorough check for the second round, but I think the Scotland game is not showing.  But the Astro schedules are subject to change at short notice

Edited by StreetCowboy

Just finished watching the recording of the first game of the World Cup.

England came back from a desperate first half trailing 10 - 4, and were harshly penalised late in the second half, before a late interception turned what could have been the narrowest of defeats into a score line that did not pay justice to England's endeavour and determination.

For 75 minutes it looked like despite being the better team, Australia might struggle to secure the points and top their pool, but England will be hoping that the teams will meet again and give them a second chance later in the tournament.

SC

1 hour ago, Genghis Khant said:

And now you’ve lost Danny Brought and two others!!
Too much of the old jungle juice and not allowed to board their flight. Ooh err!!
That’s screwed up their tournament!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That’ll shut up the critics who say Brough is not Scottish...

• 3 weeks later...

What a cracking semi-final; England finally firing on all cylinders to close out the game against the surprise team of the tournament, Tonga - only to be ripped apart by three tries in the final seven minutes, hanging on by a desperate tackle that forced a knock-on as Tonga looked certain to score again and steal the match.

They need to play for seven minutes longer if they are to have any chance against Australia in the final

• 1 month later...

After a disappointing World Cup for the Northern Hemisphere teams - Lebanon and Ireland being the only Northern teams to exceed expectations (and I'm not sure just how 'Northern Hemisphere' Lebanon are) - we have nothing to look forward to but next season.

The Challenge Cup kicks off in the last weekend of this month; Strathmore Silverbacks of Forfar, the Scottish champions, travel to Cumbria to meet Millom, the oldest amateur rugby league club in the world, if their Wikipedia page is to be believed.

Superleague starts the following weekend with Warrington hosting Leeds and Hull FC taking on Huddersfield.  Toronto start their season with a journey to Leigh - the drama, the excitement is palpable.

SC

• 4 weeks later...