Extension Of Marriage Visa Non O

My marriage visa expires on the 1st Sep 09 so will be doing a border run on the 31st Aug for 3 more months if I want to extend my non o when would I have to do so and when will I need to put the money in the bank ie. 400.000 baht (with the border run on the 31st should give me till 28th Nov 09) Jim..

• 3 weeks later...

How does that work ? just a visa run to Cambodia with your bank book just before your visa runs out and you get 3 months ?

So this also means you have to apply for a second or extension marriage visa outside the country ?

cheers

There is no 'marriage visa'. If you are married and have 400k in bank account for 2 or 3 months or 40k per month income you can extend your stay at an immigration office for one year at a time.

The poster has a multi entry non immigrant O visa (which he obtain to visit spouse). He has to leave the country every 90 days and on return get a new 90 day stay. The visa is valid for one year from issue date and by making an exit/return the day before it expires he still get a new 90 day stay so in effect can use the visa for almost 15 months stay. There is no bank book required for exit/entry but you should always be able to show access to 20,000 baht for a non immigrant visa entry (but it is seldom checked).

There is no 'marriage visa'. If you are married and have 400k in bank account for 2 or 3 months or 40k per month income you can extend your stay at an immigration office for one year at a time.

The poster has a multi entry non immigrant O visa (which he obtain to visit spouse). He has to leave the country every 90 days and on return get a new 90 day stay. The visa is valid for one year from issue date and by making an exit/return the day before it expires he still get a new 90 day stay so in effect can use the visa for almost 15 months stay. There is no bank book required for exit/entry but you should always be able to show access to 20,000 baht for a non immigrant visa entry (but it is seldom checked).

Lopburi3 -

In the current rules for visas I read these two cases

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

needed:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse of child: permission will be granted for no more than 60 days at a time.

needed:

(1) Proof of relationship (2) In the case of a spouse, their relationship shall be jure (legitimate) and de facto.

questions:

How do I get the visa you've described above ?

Do I need the 400,000 in the bank for the visa you've described above ?

For the last 2 years I have had a non-immigrant O visa good for 1 year at a time (1900 baht) requiring only the 90 day report and no travel in or out of the country - this was based on the old rule that said a couple's combined income must be 40,000 baht per month. My Thai wife, a civil engineer, earns 65,000 per month - so this was sufficient.

Now the immigration police - mainly I guess Pol. Gen. Patcharawat Wongsuwan. the current Comissioner General **comment deleted** has declared the above new laws (without any Thai government involvement - and in the case of arbitration of any of the new laws he has declared they will be the sole judge and jury also - effectively creating a police state as far as foreign residents are concerned)

anyway, Gen Patchawat is apparently of a racist and/or sexist mind and now wants falang men married to Thai women to go through the hassle of depositing money or repeated visa and travel contortions irregardless of the wife's income - but still claiming it is to insure they have enough for their joint expenses for the year.

For a number of reasons I am not able to deposit 400,000 baht at this time.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that people are getting multiple entry visas that they can use for up to 15 months but what exactly I would have to do to get one is still not clear to me.

Are they really still possible ? If so what are the exact steps I would have to take ?

Thanks in advance for your (and others') time on this.

EDIT: I have edited this post to delete a comment of political nature, as we don't discuss politics in this part of the forum - mario2008.

You describe 2 kind of extensions of stay.

2.18 gives you a one year extension of stay and for that the requriement is an incoem of 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand.

As you already had 2 extensions, immigration has the discretion to make an acception for this year only and take your wife's income into consideration. As said, it is a discretion. So it isup to them if they will allow it or not. if you can partly meet the recuirements it might help.

2.24 is an extension you can get for 60 days. It doesn't have any income requirements etc, only that you are the parent or husband of a Thai national. it is however a one time extension. They don't give them back to back.

The multiple entry visa is a visa and you need to get it from abroad. Kuala Lumpur seems to be the right place in Asai, Ausralia or Europe are even better. It would require your mariage certificate, a note from your wife and copy of her ID and some money in a Thai bankaccount in your name.

The law only allowed that method for a short period. It is now back the way it was before so your rant about any Generals is unfounded. The old wording was "support Thai wife" and that required the male support the Thai wife.

The law only allowed that method for a short period. It is now back the way it was before so your rant about any Generals is unfounded. The old wording was "support Thai wife" and that required the male support the Thai wife.

Popburi3

whatever -

maybe it was a rant - I am not very happy about a lot of things Patcharawat has done - If you read the Nation today, many Thai people were apparently wondering if Abhisit was going to fire him or transfer him to an inactive post

but the facts I presented are accurate - so it may has been a rant - but it was hardly unfounded

check the new laws Patcharawat enacted unilaterally - they are posted here on the forum

also the fact of his taking a 30 day leave instead of being sacked by PM Abisit are well known if you read the papers

the estimate of 200 billion baht is also a stated number by the Thai government

so Lop old son -

I am not "ranting" about "any Generals" - just Patcarawat - who plainly is not up to the positions and jobs he takes on and has made one wrong call after another - his career is about to end in disgrace

As for being "sexist and /or racist" in his changing a rational policy into one that plainly discriminates against Thai women married to foreigners - think about it ...

perhaps you agree with him ?

In any case the answers to my questions would be appreciated

Anyone ?

RF

2.18 gives you a one year extension of stay and for that the requriement is an incoem of 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand.

As you already had 2 extensions, immigration has the discretion to make an acception for this year only and take your wife's income into consideration. As said, it is a discretion. So it isup to them if they will allow it or not. if you can partly meet the recuirements it might help.

2.24 is an extension you can get for 60 days. It doesn't have any income requirements etc, only that you are the parent or husband of a Thai national. it is however a one time extension. They don't give them back to back.

The multiple entry visa is a visa and you need to get it from abroad. Kuala Lumpur seems to be the right place in Asai, Ausralia or Europe are even better. It would require your mariage certificate, a note from your wife and copy of her ID and some money in a Thai bankaccount in your name.

Thanks Mario

That adds some clarity - then I need to go out and get a 1 year non-imm O visa

what that visa involves exactly is still not clear to me though -

if I get a 1 year non-imm O visa from Penang or KL - do I have to pay for 30 day extensions after every 60 days and then go out of the country every 90 days to make it last 15 months ?

What financial paperwork exactly do I need to present in Penang ? How much is "some money" in this case ?

Thanks for your time on this

It is really important to my wife and me - and I am having trouble getting exact information so I appreciate your help - a lot

RF

Edited by rangefinder

Important for me to know is

1) is there still a 1 year Visa O multiple entry based on marriage ?

2) immigration Phuket refused our apply for a one year visa based on income of my Thaiwife. We (she) runs a restaurant and pays tax for an income of about 60k a month. I learned on the SUNBELT page that there are still Visas on income of the Thaispouse? is this old information? The immigration

officer at Phuket Immigration told me it is not possible anymore. The foreigner have to prove a monthly income of now 65k (before 40k) or 400k for a minimum of 2 month in the account.

Anyway, they gave me a stamp for another two month after I have to proof the 400k in my account or leave the country.

I am married since 8 years, build a houe, invested some money, financed the family, and opened a shop. Easy for them to say P...S OFF farang, after one invested his whole money here...som nam na....

anyway, maybe someone can answer my questions. THX in advance (btw I am not 50 yet if it is important)

If you want a 12 month Extension because you have a Thai Wife. The money in the bank or income has to be yours and yours alone. Not your Wife's income.

You have been given a 60 day extension to visit your Wife. After with you have to find another option.

2) immigration Phuket refused our apply for a one year visa based on income of my Thaiwife. We (she) runs a restaurant and pays tax for an income of about 60k a month. I learned on the SUNBELT page that there are still Visas on income of the Thaispouse? is this old information? The immigration

officer at Phuket Immigration told me it is not possible anymore. The foreigner have to prove a monthly income of now 65k (before 40k) or 400k for a minimum of 2 month in the account.

Anyway, they gave me a stamp for another two month after I have to proof the 400k in my account or leave the country.

I am married since 8 years, build a houe, invested some money, financed the family, and opened a shop. Easy for them to say P...S OFF farang, after one invested his whole money here...som nam na....

anyway, maybe someone can answer my questions. THX in advance (btw I am not 50 yet if it is important)

1. yes, in Asia your best bet is Kuala Lumpur for a multiple. But show some money in the bank, so take your bankaccount book.

2. The immigration officer was wrong and confused with an extension of stay based on reasons of retirement. The rules for an extension of stay is an income of 40,000 a mnth OR 400,000 in the bank.

Immigration has the pdiscretion to allow the income of the wife to be taken into consideration for old cases. That is only for this year and it is a discretion they have, it is not a right you have.

1. If you can not obtain extensions of stay both single entry and multi entry non immigrant O visas are an option. There should be no problem with single entry, and repeating. For multi entry most local Consulates will ask to see some form of bank account. They normally do not say how much that that are looking for but 20k-100k range seems to work (and even none for some). Be sure to take marriage certificate/copy, copy of wife ID card and home register plus a short note from her asking that visa be issued. If children take birth certificates/copies. Most Consulates are providing but KL seems to be the best at this time.

2. The rule is now money has to be yours alone - which is how it used to be. There is an out for first year so some have probably been allowed some leeway but it is the new rule. You obtained a 60 day extension to visit spouse.

The multi entry visa is not ideal but works and if you can get the 400k you can change to extension during last 30 days of any entry.

Thanks Mario

if I get a 1 year non-imm O visa from Penang or KL - do I have to pay for 30 day extensions after every 60 days and then go out of the country every 90 days to make it last 15 months ?

What financial paperwork exactly do I need to present in Penang ? How much is "some money" in this case ?

It is really important to my wife and me - and I am having trouble getting exact information so I appreciate your help - a lot

RF

It implies that you have a visa for 1 year. During that year you can travel to Thailand for an unlimited times. On each entry into Thailand you will get a permission to stay for 90 days. At the end of these 90 days you have to elave the country, but can come right back the same hour if you want.

By leaving and re-entry Thailand just before the visa expires, you ill get a new permission to stay for 90 days, so getting almost 15 months out of the visa.

As Lopburi stated, beteen 20,000 and 100,000. The more the better, just show your updated passbook from your Thai bank.

If you apply in Australia or Europe, there is no need to show money.

thx Mario and lopburi, GREAT ANSWERS all questions answered problem good as solved.

booked my flight to KL already. I ve been on this multiple entry visa before, always showed my bankbook, marriage certification and a letter of support is a good idea too like baan papers and all the other stuff....better to many as one paper missing.

And another great thing is, one have the chance to leave the country every 3 month for a nice short trip to Sri Lanka, Cambodia or Malaysia....maybe he finds a better place on this trips as LOS

off topic

Last problem atm is a hotel in KL oh my buddha, around 800-1ooo Baht until now only sh1tholes without own bathroom or a window.

if someone knows a CLEAN place without bedbugs pls contact me.....SORRY MOD, off Topic but i am on it the whole afternoon.

dont belive Hotelpictures, read the guest comments its terrible for the most houses there......

I NEED a TV, WiFi, a WINDOW and my private Toilette :) at least in Hotels

Moskito -

You can see from the above posts that I am in a similar situation as you - after celebrating a change 2 years ago in visa law from the imm police in which they took joint income into account in granting a 1 year non-imm O visa for 1900 baht and nothing further other than filing a 90 day residency report - it is now back to the (IMHO) sexist and racist view of the recent past - because it denies Thai women equality with Thai men and specifically targets foreign husbands but not foreign wives

I discussed this in detail several weeks ago with the ranking officer at Immigration HQ in Bangkok - he told me not to get excited because "things might change" - I suspect he was talking about the imminent retirement or firing of the current Police Comissioner which is now recent news in the Nation - so possibly the law he changed could be reinstated ...

also just posted today in another thread on this forum - a forum menber "Tigs" just returned from Penang with a 1 year non-imm O visa - after hiring an agent - a "Mr Manet" which he located by searching these forums and giving him his mariage paperwork but no financial information - his passport and visa were returned the same day for a fee of 55 baht - there was no detail of what the visa required to maintain for a year - but perhaps this will be posted soon

Regards

RF

thx Mario and lopburi, GREAT ANSWERS all questions answered problem good as solved.

booked my flight to KL already. I ve been on this multiple entry visa before, always showed my bankbook, marriage certification and a letter of support is a good idea too like baan papers and all the other stuff....better to many as one paper missing.

And another great thing is, one have the chance to leave the country every 3 month for a nice short trip to Sri Lanka, Cambodia or Malaysia....maybe he finds a better place on this trips as LOS

off topic

Last problem atm is a hotel in KL oh my buddha, around 800-1ooo Baht until now only sh1tholes without own bathroom or a window.

if someone knows a CLEAN place without bedbugs pls contact me.....SORRY MOD, off Topic but i am on it the whole afternoon.

dont belive Hotelpictures, read the guest comments its terrible for the most houses there......

I NEED a TV, WiFi, a WINDOW and my private Toilette :) at least in Hotels

Have a look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Latest-Repor...on-t189375.html

Many reports include hotel recommendations etc.

RF

It implies that you have a visa for 1 year. During that year you can travel to Thailand for an unlimited times. On each entry into Thailand you will get a permission to stay for 90 days. At the end of these 90 days you have to elave the country, but can come right back the same hour if you want.

By leaving and re-entry Thailand just before the visa expires, you ill get a new permission to stay for 90 days, so getting almost 15 months out of the visa.

As Lopburi stated, beteen 20,000 and 100,000. The more the better, just show your updated passbook from your Thai bank.

If you apply in Australia or Europe, there is no need to show money.

Thanks Mario -

I can bear to take a bit of a vacation every three months - and the passbook with that amount will be no problemo

Perhaps Patcharawat owns a border run bus company and was looking to his retirement income - smart people look ahead ....

So thanks a lot Mario - my wife thanks you too - this forum really provides a valuable service - may you have unending merit for contributing your time and energy to the needs of others

RF