Music Police

cmjantje

If this is nothing but a big scam, and the license certificates are worthless, why don't all the bar owners pool their resources and mass duplicate the licenses certs that have already been paid for? Scan, change the names accordingly, print, frame and hang up. I doubt these people have some way to quickly verify authenticity before you are able to completely sanitize your computer of all music, etc.

-Mestizo

"bar owners pool their their resources" :)

For the typical bar operation that the punter sees a farang is NOT going to get a work permit nor will the authorities issue one.

eh? i thought most would have their paperwork in order as this type of business would be one of the first places that would get shaken down

As the owner, I don't think a work permit is required - just a non-immigrant B visa - as they aren't allowed to work in the bar and are seen as just the 'investor'. At least that's what a bar owner told me.

Edited by Loaded

For the typical bar operation that the punter sees a farang is NOT going to get a work permit nor will the authorities issue one.

eh? i thought most would have their paperwork in order as this type of business would be one of the first places that would get shaken down

As the owner, I don't think a work permit is required - just a non-immigrant B visa - as they aren't allowed to work in the bar and are seen as just the 'investor'.

Retirement, marriage, O, visa on arrival, 30 day, name a visa and that's all it takes. 99.9% of all bars are flying under the radar by their farang financial backer. Technical and legally the farang can not be seen doing any kind of work in a bar setting. Most of the bars that are seen on LK are on a 1 and if lucky 2 years lease.

Most of these lease will be in the wife's or g/f name why because the alcohol license has to be in a Thais name and the most of the time the licence department requires that the lease be in the same name.

Edited by gotlost

If this is nothing but a big scam, and the license certificates are worthless, why don't all the bar owners pool their resources and mass duplicate the licenses certs that have already been paid for? Scan, change the names accordingly, print, frame and hang up. I doubt these people have some way to quickly verify authenticity before you are able to completely sanitize your computer of all music, etc.

-Mestizo

The wife had a place on Soi 2 and when she was there last year had 4 visits from the "Music Police" inside 9 months

(Which netted over 250,000 baht if the "victims" figures are to be believed)

She got a license after the first visit into the soi (but not to us at that time) and every time after just showed the correct accepted licence (less than 4,000 baht) and away they went, it is harder if using pc but the downloaded license is same price.

BUT, be warned it is only for Farang music and not Thai music.

Also watch out for them trying to put a thumb drive in your pc as this can load up anything!.

Other places I know,

A: refused to allow access and

B: got the Camera out and took pictures of all the "officers" and the vehicle. they do not like this for some reason!! and usually leave.

However, for piece of mind just get the licence, it is extremly easy and can be done online in about 2 days

I can e mail the links if required Music Licence Details

Cheers

Richard

Edited by heazille

unfortunately, these scammers aren't caught by police and dealt with, so they carry on their scamming ways

they are probably BIB or ex BIB doing this part time imo

When they ran this scam about 1½ years ago, they took people to the main police station inside the moat.

They aren't bring caught because the right police is being paid off. And there is a lot of money to pay off with, last time they ran the scam I heard it estimated that they made over 2 mill bath.

As the owner, I don't think a work permit is required - just a non-immigrant B visa - as they aren't allowed to work in the bar and are seen as just the 'investor'.

Retirement, marriage, O, visa on arrival, 30 day, name a visa and that's all it takes. 99.9% of all bars are flying under the radar by their farang financial backer. Technical and legally the farang can not be seen doing any kind of work in a bar setting. Most of the bars that are seen on LK are on a 1 and if lucky 2 years lease.

Most of these lease will be in the wife's or g/f name why because the alcohol license has to be in a Thais name and the most of the time the licence department requires that the lease be in the same name.

I have my place on LK on a 3 times 3 year lease, and I have a work permit to work there.

I hardly ever do though, too lazy :)

unfortunately, these scammers aren't caught by police and dealt with, so they carry on their scamming ways

they are probably BIB or ex BIB doing this part time imo

When they ran this scam about 1½ years ago, they took people to the main police station inside the moat.

They aren't bring caught because the right police is being paid off. And there is a lot of money to pay off with, last time they ran the scam I heard it estimated that they made over 2 mill bath.

2 Mill baht :) just for CM?

times that by the other areas of LOS, ka-ching!!!!!