Singapore-thailand

Is there anybody out there that works in Singapore but there life is based in Thailand (family,house)?

I may be looking for a machinists job(cnc) out in Singapore.The wife is fine with me working away but I'm

a little worried about the pay and the cost of travel to Thailand (once a month).

Any advice please.

Edited by longstebe

I used to do it - what advice do you want?

It is feasible but if you're talking BKK then it is a long-ish commute just for a weekend (my SG office closes 6pm, which meant taking the 8.30pm flight which meant getting to our apartment approaching midnight BKK time) - if you're travelling Friday and returning Sunday then it doesn't feel like much of a weekend. Returning Monday AM requires a tolerant boss - due to time diff +1 hr you won't be in until lunchtime SG time even if you take the first flight down from BKK.

Cost is not that bad - I preferred Star Alliance carriers, particularly Swiss as they were cheap, but they don't do the route any more. So you've got Singapore Airlines, who are better and usually cheaper than Thai, or the budget carriers, with an odd interloper by people like Cathay, which may or may not suit your schedule (again I refer to BKK only). Assume S$500 or so a pop - less on the budget carriers I THINK if you can book it well in advance.

Not sure about salaries in your line - but can say that tax is generally much lower in SG than in Thailand assuming you're on a decent whack so that helps recover the additional costs of living, travel etc...

Speaking of which, the accomodation is the killer here - sounds like you're not in an office / city area based profession though so might be cheaper than it is for me (finance - so I am in the heart of town) - but research this VERY carefully I suggest.

Did this for a couple of years, then we got my stepson's visa sorted (finally) and the wife and he moved down here PDQ. We didn't like being apart all the time except 2 weekends per month (sounds great in theory but we quickly got tired of it) plus steppy gets a much better education and other opportunities (sports etc) than he did in BKK.

Short version - if you're in BKK it is possible but it gets tiring pretty quick and i can't say I'd recommend it. If in Phuket or somewhere with shorter travel time to SG, then it may be different...

Good luck

CC

Edit: just noted Sahon Nakhon on your handle - if you're upcountry and are going to have substantial travel time just to get to Swampydoom, I don't think this is feasible, sorry...

Edited by Captain Chaos

Thanks for the post mate.

This is something for later on when the wifey finishes university.More than likely she will be

working in BKK.A trip down to SP will probably be on the cards to do some research. My earnings

will play a big part in my decesion.

I went through the very same investigative process earlier this year and I'll post up my findings.

We had properties in Pattaya and Buriram. We have a 2 year old daughter.

PB Air flies to Buriram and it takes around an hour. The house in Buriram is 30 minutes from the airport. The Pattaya house is 90 minutes from the airport.

I started to look at flying back on Friday evening and returning on Sunday afternoon. This proved impossible in either direction because of flights which were only 3 per week. There was a Monday flight so an occassional long weekend, taking the Saturday flight (no Friday Flight) was an option. However, the idea of me flying regularly up and down was a non starter, going to Buriram that is.

Pattaya to Buriram is a 6 hour drive with a baby and too much to endure too often. Thus, the idea of meeting up in the Pattaya house never got off the drawing board either as a long term solution. The missus has her family in Buriram.

Getting a place in Bangkok was just a stupid idea.

So I was back to occassional trips to Thailand, perhaps staying in a hotel in Bangkok or taking a couple of days off and either staying in Pattaya or going to Buriram. Decisions had to be made as to whether we kept on the house in Pattaya which seemed stupid if we were not going to use it. Relinquishing it meant only Buriram or hotels.

What became obvious was that my partner and baby would have to fly to Singapore rather than me going to Thailand. They could fly down from Buriram and connect at Swampy, doing the reverse on the return journey. This would be disruptive to her fledgling clothes distribution business and I felt it would put pressure on her to want to return to Thailand sooner rather than later. Difficulties all around.

We sort of settled on my flying up once a month for a long weekend and the two of them flying down once a month for betweek a week and 10 days, likely covering two weekends. Thus, I'd see my family for about 33% to 50% of the time. An eventual move for them to Singapore would have been on the agenda for me but perhaps not for her.

With this plan having been worked out as the best compromise in my circumstances, it meant that I'd need a 2 bed apartment. This contrasts with a studio or one bed or even a potential shared apartment were I to be the only one flying back and forth. As CC point out above, accommodation is a killer in Singapore, or can be.

In general, I found it nigh on impossible to get any real information about decent priced properties via the web. You calso cannot ge a feel for things on the ground. Serviced apartments are highly priced and affordable hotels are not Thailand budgets. In addition, I found many apartments either too small, new and overpriced or too big, older and thus too expensive. Some of the cheaper ones were really poor.

Sorting out a share would have been relatively easy I think and S$1000 could get you a decent condo share. Your own place would be setting you back S$3000 or so but you might get lucky at the S$2000 level. There is a trade off between the cost of your accommodation whlst you find something and what you save by taking your time to find it.

A problem with getting your own place were the lease conditions, fees and the chances that you might not get your deposit back ! Normally it is 2 year lease, maybe you can get 12 months. Under S$2500 or similar you pay 1/2 of the introduction fees. Property rentals in Singapore are a complete con when viewed from the outside.

In the end, my decision was this. I'd try to get to know a couple of hotels when popping down to Singapore. I'd then use these (at decent rates) to search for a shared apartment and to view those I had pre selected. I'd then take a short let (couple of months flexible) shared and look for a condo to rent on my own. This was my plan because I was arriving in Singapore without a job waiting and as such I needed the greater flexibility. I just couldn't sign a long lease.

As for the family, well I'd have them come down if the condo was up for it (only 1 other person, perhaps away for the weekend etc.) or put them up in a hotel. Then I'd have the long weekend in Thailand.

So far more so than Thailand, it really does depend upon your income. The more cash, the more flexibility.

Thanks Torrenova

There is other options for me but I would like to be as close as I can to LOS.

The other options I have is either the UK or the US. This will end up being a full 3 months away out of the

year.

Having said that I know the money will be a lot better. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As has been said it only works if by live in Thailand you mean Bangkok or Phuket. Both of which have daily budget flights that you can do this.

I have a house in Phuket and live in Singapore and fly between the two everyother weekend. Family travel with me for the most part but at times are in Thailand and I am in Singapore.

Advantage of Singapore is it is easy to get a job with most being able to speak English, they 'Welcome' foreign talent and the money is good compared to LOS. Disadvantge is it is not very big, pretty expensive and you have to fly to LOS.

But if by LOS you mean anywhere but Bangkok or Phuket it is just not really workable.

Is there anybody out there that works in Singapore but there life is based in Thailand (family,house)?

I may be looking for a machinists job(cnc) out in Singapore.The wife is fine with me working away but I'm

a little worried about the pay and the cost of travel to Thailand (once a month).

Any advice please.

the penang - singapore run is a better idea. if not the best is phuket. all else, you're at the mercy of the well-known delayed and cancelled flights of the budget airlines. remember, singapore is a hel_l of an expensive place for food and for accomodations and can be very very racists place for thais and third world peoples especially. many farangs have left singapore for the same said reasons. besides, it would be better to watch paint dry in your room than to step out of your singapore home 'cos the cost of living as an expat is some five times higher in singapore than in thailand.

hey why would you just try work in Singapore while stay in Penang...????

good idea. penang is a beautiful and more livable place. besides, singapore is very, very boring - unless you have lots of money to throw around. your best bet is to live somewhere near southern thailand and near where thai inter flies in and out of singapore and thailand. that way, your family and you can retain some semblance of sanity . bringing your family to singapore with you can be a nightmare you don't need - no matter how good your pay may be. besides, given your job descriptions, are you aware singapore has one too many highly skilled , tertiary mainland chinese swarming all over the island at very very low salaries. trust me, these people are not - in fact never - easy to manage assuming you end up manaing them. many are unionised too and the machinist union can be very tacky when nuts clash with bolts. ask for free accomodations if you can and make sure it is decent and not in some tacky neighborhoods where honky tonks , rapists and murderers live.

It is feasible but if you're talking BKK then it is a long-ish commute just for a weekend (my SG office closes 6pm, which meant taking the 8.30pm flight which meant getting to our apartment approaching midnight BKK time) - if you're travelling Friday and returning Sunday then it doesn't feel like much of a weekend. Returning Monday AM requires a tolerant boss - due to time diff +1 hr you won't be in until lunchtime SG time even if you take the first flight down from BKK.

Cost is not that bad - I preferred Star Alliance carriers, particularly Swiss as they were cheap, but they don't do the route any more. So you've got Singapore Airlines, who are better and usually cheaper than Thai, or the budget carriers, with an odd interloper by people like Cathay, which may or may not suit your schedule (again I refer to BKK only). Assume S$500 or so a pop - less on the budget carriers I THINK if you can book it well in advance.

Not sure about salaries in your line - but can say that tax is generally much lower in SG than in Thailand assuming you're on a decent whack so that helps recover the additional costs of living, travel etc...

Speaking of which, the accomodation is the killer here - sounds like you're not in an office / city area based profession though so might be cheaper than it is for me (finance - so I am in the heart of town) - but research this VERY carefully I suggest.

Did this for a couple of years, then we got my stepson's visa sorted (finally) and the wife and he moved down here PDQ. We didn't like being apart all the time except 2 weekends per month (sounds great in theory but we quickly got tired of it) plus steppy gets a much better education and other opportunities (sports etc) than he did in BKK.

Short version - if you're in BKK it is possible but it gets tiring pretty quick and i can't say I'd recommend it. If in Phuket or somewhere with shorter travel time to SG, then it may be different...

Good luck

CC

Edit: just noted Sahon Nakhon on your handle - if you're upcountry and are going to have substantial travel time just to get to Swampydoom, I don't think this is feasible, sorry...

uk or the us with your misses going along and completing university there would be a better option than singapore. it is cheaper than singapore - i've been there and done that in all these three countries. the average cost of travelling, working and living between singapore and thailand once a month is in the region of singapore dollars 5,000 - yes, five thousand singapore dollars - minus any partying or drinking binges. less than S$5,000 a month, you will be no better off than an indian or chinaman or even a bangladeshi any where in the world. (taxes on icome may be lower than thailand. but consumption tax is one of the highest in the world. EXAMPLES OF SUCH CONSUMPTION TAXES ARE FOUND IN YOUR UTILITY BILLS AND YOUR RELOCATIONS COSTS AND YOUR DAILY FOOD BILLS AND TRANSPORT COSTS).

Edited by bobright

Thanks Torrenova

The other options I have is either the UK or the US. This will end up being a full 3 months away out of the

year.

singapore is next to tokyo in terms of living cost - number two in asia and and in the top-ten category in the world. do not be deceived by what you read in the singapore newspapers and its surveys and media especially. do not be razzled dazzled by all the singapore newspapers and media jazz. it's all hollywood and bollywood combined.

Good luck

CC

uk or the us with your misses going along and completing university there would be a better option than singapore. it is cheaper than singapore - i've been there and done that in all these three countries. the average cost of travelling, working and living between singapore and thailand once a month is in the region of singapore dollars 5,000 - yes, five thousand singapore dollars - minus any partying or drinking binges. less than S$5,000 a month, you will be no better off than an indian or chinaman or even a bangladeshi any where in the world. (taxes on icome may be lower than thailand. but consumption tax is one of the highest in the world. EXAMPLES OF SUCH CONSUMPTION TAXES ARE FOUND IN YOUR UTILITY BILLS AND YOUR RELOCATIONS COSTS AND YOUR DAILY FOOD BILLS AND TRANSPORT COSTS).

The Singapore GST (consumption tax) is 7%, not too bad compared with some western countries.

The Singapore GST (consumption tax) is 7%, not too bad compared with some western countries.

the salaries and wages are pathetic though compared with most western countries. the working environment? STRESSFUL.

I knew a guy who does that for 3 full year. Fri evening SIN-BKK. Sunday evening BKK-SIN. Every week.

Travel cost is not bad, less than 200,000 Baht a year (average 50 round trip), all on Budget Airlines. There are 3 to choice from AirAsia, Jet Star & Tiger. The trick is to bulk book as soon as a promotion comes out. Especially from AirAsia, you may get as low as 1,700 Baht per round trip.

I knew a guy who does that for 3 full year. Fri evening SIN-BKK. Sunday evening BKK-SIN. Every week.

Travel cost is not bad, less than 200,000 Baht a year (average 50 round trip), all on Budget Airlines. There are 3 to choice from AirAsia, Jet Star & Tiger. The trick is to bulk book as soon as a promotion comes out. Especially from AirAsia, you may get as low as 1,700 Baht per round trip.

well, it's seems like promotions always come.... then what about when there's no promotion... i mean in an ordinary day... or maybe a certain time that people flock for any destination.... perhaps when the school breaks season....

Thanks Torrenova

year.

singapore is next to tokyo in terms of living cost - number two in asia and and in the top-ten category in the world. do not be deceived by what you read in the singapore newspapers and its surveys and media especially. do not be razzled dazzled by all the singapore newspapers and media jazz. it's all hollywood and bollywood combined.

You cannot compare Singapore to Tokyo and I don't believe for a second that Singapore is anywhere near as expensive as Tokyo. Mind you, I'd take Tokyo over Singapore any day of the week.

Dunno about the States but Singapore definitely is not more expensive than the UK - but I agree it is certainly not a cheap place to live these days. Anyway, who the hel_l mentioned anything about wanting to go back to live in the west???

the salaries and wages are pathetic though compared with most western countries. the working environment? STRESSFUL.

:)

Where ARE you getting these "facts" from Bob? Not sure what line you were in, but salaries in Singapore range from abysmal to astronomical, just like anywhere else! I get paid about what I would expect to get in the UK, but pay just 10% tax. You do the maths Bob...

"Stressful"? Why? Please give some "facts" to substantiate these sweeping claims ...

CC

good idea. penang is a beautiful and more livable place. besides, singapore is very, very boring - unless you have lots of money to throw around. your best bet is to live somewhere near southern thailand and near where thai inter flies in and out of singapore and thailand. that way, your family and you can retain some semblance of sanity . bringing your family to singapore with you can be a nightmare you don't need - no matter how good your pay may be. besides, given your job descriptions, are you aware singapore has one too many highly skilled , tertiary mainland chinese swarming all over the island at very very low salaries. trust me, these people are not - in fact never - easy to manage assuming you end up manaing them. many are unionised too and the machinist union can be very tacky when nuts clash with bolts. ask for free accomodations if you can and make sure it is decent and not in some tacky neighborhoods where honky tonks , rapists and murderers live.

:):D:D

Nothing like trotting out the same old tired cliches is there? This is yet another unsubstantiated, sweeping comment from Comrade Bob that is well past its sell by date... many, many things to do in Singapore - some of them are more expensive than in Thailand, definitely, but there's also a lot of things available here that are simply not available in Thailand, especially for kids / families...

CC

• 1 month later...

My apologies for not visiting this thread.

Thanks for the replies though guys.

Now that I'm over in LOS, I'm still weighing up my options. Once my house is finished here I probably will be looking to work.

I can probably afford another year off but I know myself too well :) .

It scares me a little when the income is not there at the end of the week.

read the latest airasia tread here and you may change your mind on your compromised private data when you book on-line with them, inter alia....

:):D:D

Nothing like trotting out the same old tired cliches is there? This is yet another unsubstantiated, sweeping comment from Comrade Bob that is well past its sell by date... many, many things to do in Singapore - some of them are more expensive than in Thailand, definitely, but there's also a lot of things available here that are simply not available in Thailand, especially for kids / families...

CC

bob was probably referring to the condo/residences smacked right in the heart of the geylang red-light districts where housewives and children of school-going age come and go each day from their homes only to be haunted and harassed by pimps and prostitutes hunters who mistaken them - the wives and espceiaaly daugthers of the former - to be paddling their bodies.......