Ubon Ratchathani - New High Speed Rail Talks

jay-uk

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/09...ss_30106928.php

High-level delegation to pursue rail talks in China

Published on July 9, 2009

A government

A government delegation led by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban is scheduled to visit China this month to invite private investors to participate in high-speed train and double-track railway projects in the Kingdom, following the visit of Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva late last month.

A Transport Ministry source said the delegation would also comprise Transport Minister Sophon Saram and other high-ranking ministry officials, including representatives from the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP).

The source said the delegation would open talks with representatives of China's government and its largest state-owned railway construction enterprise, China Railway Engineering, in regard to Thailand's high-speed train and double-track railway projects, in which China had previously expressed investment interest.

The government will then use the results of the negotiations in drawing up a policy for the Kingdom's railway system, said the source.

"The move follows a conversation between Prime Minister Abhisit and the chairman of China Railway Engineering during his visit on June 24-27, in which the Chinese authorities said they would be pleased to support the government's mega-investment projects under the second stimulus measures," said the source.

The source said the Chinese side would study project details to determine whether investment was worthwhile.

The two projects were part of the country's strategic development for mass-transit and logistics systems initiated by the Samak Sundaravej government.

Under the plan, Samak agreed to develop and construct the 2,344-kilometre double-track railway project to connect with the logistics system in the region, expecting this to turn Thailand into a logistics hub for Indochina. The railway would have a standard-gauge size (1.435 metres wide).

The project would be developed under a budget of Bt367 million and consist of five routes: Chiang Khong-Den Chai for a distance of 326 kilometres; Den Chai-Ban Phachi junction (470km); Nong Khai-Nakhon Ratchasima-Kaeg Khoi junction-Ban Phachi junction-Nong Pladuk junction-Kanchanaburi (990km); Kaeng Khoi junction-Chachoengsao-Laem Chabang (247km); and Thanon Chira junction-Ubon Ratchathani (331km).

Samak also agreed to open it for private firms to participate in terms of constructing railways and operating lines by paying the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) concession fees. As a result, the investment will not be a burden on the government.

In addition, the Samak government agreed to develop a high-speed train project with speeds of more than 160kph from Bangkok to large cities that have tourist attractions.

The project would comprise four routes: Bangkok-Nakhon Sawan for a distance of 231km; Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima (266km); Bangkok-Hua Hin (200 km); and Bangkok-Chanthaburi (300km).

The OTP, the SRT and other agencies have been assigned to work out the construction cost.

Meanwhile, Transport Ministry deputy permanent secretary Tawalyarat Onsira, as chairman of the SRT, recently said the authority had to wait for a policy on the two projects from the government before it could take any action.

"If China is interested in the projects, it would be good for the country to link its trade and logistics between the two countries," he said.

I wish I knew more about large-scale economics, but I'm wondering if projects like this really add to the economic development of Ubon? I assume construction of the rail will pour money into the region, and maybe the rail itself will bring an increased number of people here... but it also seems like the AirAsia dilemma where the whole enterprise is based on the assumption people want to pay money for faster trains. Where they expect people to get the money for the tickets is the other main question. anyone help me out here?

Jay,

That would be great if it were to happen. Maybe if it did happen they would promote Ubon more for tourism or business. I think most Thai travelers are ok with the rails as they are. The express train is fast enough but as I have rode it a lot lately going with my wife to Korat I noticed they don't maintain it well. Many of the seats are broken and the tray tables don't remain in the upright postion.

Based on travel the money might better be invested on routes to Chiang Mai and Phuket area.

Wait and see, eh?

Hello UbonTaz

Fingers crossed it goes ahead. It could bring much needed business to the region and importantly Ubon city in terms of tourists. Any country on the door step of China should do well in future if they open up as a Hub to bring people in and out at speed so an improved rail system would be a step in the right direction. Even improving domestic rail services would be a postive move forward, as you mentioned. I read your blog this morning....are you sore after your work-out at Sunee Grand?

Speak to you soon.

Jay