Change Or The Lack There Of

BillyBobThai

I had a hot water shower added to the outside shower at my in-laws house a few years ago, and it seems they do not use it unless it is really cold out. They use a concrete water tank that holds about 1/2 cu meterof water. This morning when I took a shower there had to be at least 500 mosquitos in the room. They, falsely believe I think, that they will use more water/electricity/money by using the pressure shower.

How do I go about converting them without causing a problem??????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a hot water shower added to the outside shower at my in-laws house a few years ago, and it seems they do not use it unless it is really cold out. They use a concrete water tank that holds about 1/2 cu meterof water. This morning when I took a shower there had to be at least 500 mosquitos in the room. They, falsely believe I think, that they will use more water/electricity/money by using the pressure shower.

I saw a similar thing in isan where they had the shower and the concrete water holder...shower was working,but not used...

they also had one of those tumble washing machines....you know the one's where you put the clothes in from the top and it wisked them

back and forth...it worked too,but they still washed by hand!

I'm not sure why they didn't use them,maybe they don't want the extra bill's!

most thai's don't like change,more so the older generation that have been doing it their way for many year's.

I don't think you'll convert them,but you can try :)

I'm sure they already know this,but try explaining about the disease's that come with stagnant water and what those mozzi's can carry!

You could just spray the room first. Yoong seem to leave the Thai people alone, but I get eaten alive. We have the buckeet and shower downstairs and shower and tub upstairs, but I don't think either would matter with a roomful of yoong. If the yoong are there because of the water, that means the water is stagnant and I would be concerned about that from a health standpoint.

There should not be mosquitos if the tank has a mosquito mesh on the top. The large concrete water containers in Issan villages usually have a mesh on the top and I found that the villagers were aware of the need to keep the mozzies out.

As for the hot shower, I had a problem in that the in-laws (ex in-laws!), would not use the hot shower because it blew the fuses every time that the heating controls were set higher than 'almost freezing cold' :). Lack of power in the village...

Simon

Many people.....I started to say many older people since they are your in-laws but realized I do not know and this really applies to any age...... want to stay with the "familiar". And many Thais are used to cooler bath water, so they don't feel the need for the warm water.

Unless you have solar heating, the water heater/warmer uses electricity, so it does cost money to use (disregarding who pays for it).

I find that in some homes I like the dip shower better than the pathetic output of the heater shower head, specially in an upstairs bathroom where the water pressure is lower. However, I do end up using more water dipping.

Those were my immediate thoughts. And, based on what my in-laws do, incomprehenseable to both my wife and myself, probably all you can do is just take satisfaction that you have given them options.

They, falsely believe I think, that they will use more water/electricity/money by using the pressure shower.

If you can tell me where to buy a pressure shower that uses the same electricity as a scoop and bucket and i will buy 2!

When i lived in Issan my electric bill was between 600-800 baht per month. My inlaws thought this was a complete waste of money as theirs was less than 100 per month.

Although i really like to use a pressure shower, sometimes it's really refreshing to use a scoop and bucket, especially if you are in a house without AC.

Nidge.

Funds definitely flow slower in many places in Issan. Pretty much got into an argument with an Issan relative over tipping the waitress at a sit in restaurant. It goes to show the frugalness alone isn't enough to create prosperity.

:)

If 40 baht is already a full meal for 2 or the grosseries at he local market or a big bottle of beer see how many times you can save 40 baht by not using the hot shower every day. This is the way my parents in law think!

By the way my electric bill is about a 1,000 a month: that is 25 bottles of beer extra a month, lol!!!

If 40 baht is already a full meal for 2 or the grosseries at he local market or a big bottle of beer see how many times you can save 40 baht by not using the hot shower every day. This is the way my parents in law think!

By the way my electric bill is about a 1,000 a month: that is 25 bottles of beer extra a month, lol!!!

You've got it - a regular wizard of logic. Wouln't you rather have cold beer than a hot shower?

OK, I am going to show my ignorance on Thai home life here. What is a "scoop and bucket" shower?

It's where they have a big tub of water with a little pail you pour water over yourself in some sort of outhouse. We call it a sponge bath and that is what I do when I'm camping if I can't swim in the river.

OK, I am going to show my ignorance on Thai home life here. What is a "scoop and bucket" shower?

It's where they have a big tub of water with a little pail you pour water over yourself in some sort of outhouse. We call it a sponge bath and that is what I do when I'm camping if I can't swim in the river.

Thanks!

Thanks!

This is what I'm talking about... a typical Thai family shower-toilet room....

The big cement tank is NOT a bath tub. It holds water you either use to pour over yourself as a bucket shower, or dump in the squat toilet to flush it.

Boons_home_5.sized.jpg

Thanks!

The big cement tank is NOT a bath tub. It holds water you either use to pour over yourself as a bucket shower, or dump in the squat toilet to flush it.

Boons_home_5.sized.jpg

The joys of taking a sh!t,shower and shave.

You've got it - a regular wizard of logic. Wouln't you rather have cold beer than a hot shower?

This is my secret solution: shower in cold beer!!!! don't use soap or shampo though.

I remember talking to the builders through my wife. Sit down toilet, hot water shower, no dip tub for shower or washing our backsides. 2 weeks later, I thought I'd stroll down and see what was happening. They'd almost finished building what I told them not to. I stopped them and fetched my wife. She couldn't see the problem. So I just said, I am not keeping mosquitoes thanks, and I'm not paying for you to either. She probably asked them to humour the crazy farang.

First time I visited my Thai family down here. I thought it was a bath tub and climbed in. Oops.

Edited by Mosha

A now deceased friend of mine took a bath in the tank at a Thai friend of ours and you should have heard the Thai's missus go off. She had the poor husband scrubbing it out with soap and disinfectant for an hour.

My Partners home has a shower room just like the photo above.

His parents make me take my shoes off to go in - the floor is VERY slippery and extemely dangerous.

I dislike having a shower there, the water is cold, I have to ask for a jug of warm water to mix it as I am a softy when it comes to splashing cold water on my udders !!!! :)

Thanks!

Boons_home_5.sized.jpg

There is some rationale behind it. If your moo bahn is anything like mine, the water is only on from about 7am to about 8pm. So the tank is used to retain water for showers, washing clothes, washing dishes, etc., during the off hours. Our tub has a small faucet, which we just leave on dribble speed during the day until the tub is full.

It has been my experience that Thai people will take 2-3 tub and buckets a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon after work or school, and one in the evening before bed. It makes them much more hygenic than a lot of Yanks, Brits and Europeans that I've met along the way.

I prefer the shower upstairs for the morning scrub, but the tub and bucket is great for a quick cool down after hot day.

Is that a picture from Klong Prem?

:)

No, it's at Luk Kai station (just after Ban Pong) in Kanchanaburi province. But, there are similar wash rooms all over rural Thailand.

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. It seems like others have had the same funny experiences as me. :D

Oh, and yes the floors are VERY slippery.

Edited by IanForbes

Visited a friend's house in BKK and spent the weekend there around Songkran. Stinking hot, even the pool water was tepid. There was some problem with the water supply, so the only option for a wash-up was in maid's quarters, which had facilities just like the pic. I don't know how or why, but that was the most refreshing wash ever...the water was just so deliciously cool, even more refreshing than the pool and the normal showers when the water came back on. I am seriously considering a concrete trough just like that in one of my bathrooms, just for those days when it's bleeding hot, the pool water is warm-ish and the cold water out of the tap is like warm soup!

its hard to criticize these girls from marrying the first farang they can find when you take a look at a photo like that.

True. Here is the other part of the home where the parents live with a married daughter and her Thai husband and their two little children, and the other daughter (my lady friend) and her three children. Needless to say it is very crowded. There is little wonder the family is pushing me to build them all a big home. So far I've resisted, and only send enough money to help out with clothes for the kids along with medical and school supplies.

Boons_home_1.jpg

bug_tent.jpg

Boons_home_4.jpg

A now deceased friend of mine took a bath in the tank at a Thai friend of ours and you should have heard the Thai's missus go off. She had the poor husband scrubbing it out with soap and disinfectant for an hour.

My laugh of the day. thank you.

I thought they were for washing clothes when I first saw one, so I shouldn't laugh.

The Indonesian version of the tank and scoop is called a Mandi. I recall using one in a relatively posh hotel which had goldfish in the tank. Kept down the mosquito larvae, I guess, but the trade-off was showering in fish poo, (and the occasional fish).