Mep Teacher

MEP is Mini-English Program. I once taught English and Math in a new wanna-be MEP. We native speakers of English taught English, Math and Science. I was asked to teach 24 hours per week for the 2nd semester; I politely reminded them they had contracted me for 18. Next year or two they got my replacement to work 24; some Thais taught 24 (they can teach English in their sleep). I doubt there is a legal limit, but you cannot teach effectively at those levels.

I'm with PB on this, I teach 19 hours (not all MEP) and yes, this is the limit for any quality teaching you may do. Once I add in research, prep time, and assemble the necessary materials, I am well into 40 hours a week.

I teach English and Word, Powerpoint, and Photoshop all in MEP.

Where I work, the maximum load is 21 teaching hours (the periods are 45 minutes). Most teachers have less than that, but it depends a lot on the spread of subjects and classes. Teachers who work a full load have one subject covering one grade, which cuts down on preparation time, lesson planning etc. It doesn't cut down on marking, grading, etc.

Most of our teachers don't complain too much about the classroom time, but they do complain about the added duty time, special reading time and miscellaneous assorted tasks and chores that the school comes up with.

Occasionally, I do remind the administration that they have some rather expensive people who are opening car doors and that's OK provided they don't mind things getting a little lax in the classroom.

It's helpful if a school can draw on the strengths of teachers--both in and out of the classroom. We have teachers who really enjoy the extra stuff--willing to go anywhere with the students, love being involved in competitions, enjoy morning speaking and other duties. We have others that fight it with every breath in their body. I try to give the teachers things they enjoy doing, but that's not the Thai way.

Best of luck to you.

"You might be more likely to get a reply if you avoid the use of an acronymn which is likely unknown to the general readership."

If you don't know what MEP is, it's not likely that you know the answer to the question.

I believe the MOE has guidelines for the number of hours they think you should teach, but I don't recall what they are.

I believe the MOE has guidelines for the number of hours they think you should teach, but I don't recall what they are.

I think the guidelines dictate the funding. 100 hours a week equals say five slots funded at I think 30K per month by the M.o.Ed.. From there, the school can do what they wish, pay more or pay less, part time teachers with full time contracts, native speakers or non native or even very little "English" speakers, less or more than 20hours per week, etc..