Windows Media Player 11

thaimate

just found that i cannot play anything on windows media player ,just get a message saying to download it i must verify my copy of windows is legit,unfortunatly when i took it in some time ago the shop didnt download my copy of windows but a copy

how can i get media player 11 or use my old version without veryfing?

as you may guess ime not a computer whiz :)

just found that i cannot play anything on windows media player ,just get a message saying to download it i must verify my copy of windows is legit,unfortunatly when i took it in some time ago the shop didnt download my copy of windows but a copy

I remember I had the same problem long time ago when I ran a very bad copy of windows, unfortunately I can't remember what my solution was, but I think it was to uninstall WMP 11 and install an older version that does not require verification.

But really you should get a better copy of Windows, or a genuine version for that matter. When WMP 11 can't verify your windows copy, that means that neither can Windows Update and you can never update your windows. We all know what that means: heavy risk of virus, spamware, malware, trojans etc. So I would suggest you to make the shop install your own copy of windows if you had a genuine one, or if you don't have a genuine version, go to another shop that actually has a proper copy of Windows that can pass the genuine verification. I know that most thai computer shops have no clue what that means, because they always just install a very very bad fake version.

windows media player is one of the first things I will uninstall from a new windows installation - WMP6 was the last good version.

try the klite - standard should be good enough for most users

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

or maybe media Player Classic Home Cinema

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

VLC has just achieved version 1 status though I am not overly enamoured of the player and think it is mainly useful if you want to set up a sever to stream your media

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC has just achieved version 1 status...

Thanks for the news that VLC has been updated. Boy, has it grown in size, though. Three years ago I downloaded an 8 MB v.8.5, but v.1.0 now is 18 MB!

I remember I had the same problem long time ago when I ran a very bad copy of windows, unfortunately I can't remember what my solution was, but I think it was to uninstall WMP 11 and install an older version that does not require verification.

But really you should get a better copy of Windows, or a genuine version for that matter. When WMP 11 can't verify your windows copy, that means that neither can Windows Update and you can never update your windows. We all know what that means: heavy risk of virus, spamware, malware, trojans etc. So I would suggest you to make the shop install your own copy of windows if you had a genuine one, or if you don't have a genuine version, go to another shop that actually has a proper copy of Windows that can pass the genuine verification. I know that most thai computer shops have no clue what that means, because they always just install a very very bad fake version.

i did what you suggested ,thanks and downloaded windows media player 9 but seem to get sound but no picture ,any sugestions?

thanks

That's probably because WMP 9 doesn't download codecs automatically, so you will have to manually download the codecs you need.

You can do that no problem, but if you are as novice to computers as you state in your original post, I would go for one of the alternative solutions listed above. I use VLC, and that simply plays ALL files and codecs without having to download anything additional.

As discussed in previous posts - one of the best reasons not to 'upgrade' your system is this example.

Before you had a perfectly good OS, no longer. Once its good, harden it, and dont do upgrades - AV OK.

As I said previously - why put a spare engine in the trunk of a perfectly good 911.

You might want to reinstall one day - THEN leave well enough alone. Most folks do that with XPSP2/3

Bubba

PS The US Military just did a 10 year deal with M$ on XP - not Vista - besides, why do the Beta work for M$W7

It is not about latest & greatest - its about what works - unless you are simply fooling around.

That's probably because WMP 9 doesn't download codecs automatically, so you will have to manually download the codecs you need.

You can do that no problem, but if you are as novice to computers as you state in your original post, I would go for one of the alternative solutions listed above. I use VLC, and that simply plays ALL files and codecs without having to download anything additional.

sorry for sounding a complete numpty ,but will this then give me picture on the player?

if you are going VLC you might find keyboard shortcuts make your life easier

small list of common ones

Space Play/Pause

s Stop

+ Play faster

- Play Slower

t Position

n Next Item

p Previous Item

f Fullscreen

m Mute

Shift+Rt Arrow Forward 3 seconds

Shift+Lt Arrow Backward 3 seconds

Alt+Rt Arrow Forward 10 seconds

Alt+Lt Arrow Backward 10 seconds

Ctrl+q Quit

Ctrl+Up Arrow Volume up

Ctrl+Dn Arrow Volume down

Ctrl+Rt Arrow Forward 1 minute

Ctrl+Lt Arrow Backward 1 minute

For your note, all these shortcuts are customizable. You can play with them in the Edit >> Preferences Dialog.

No question is to dumb :)

Yes that will give you a picture on the player, just not on windows media player, it's another player similar to it that works just out of the box.

hi

ive just downloaded it ,still no picture :D

You have to open the video file using the newly downloaded program.

Have you installed the downloaded program? If so then there should be a shortcut on your desktop, try dragging a videofile and dropping it onto the VLC icon (the cone) that should make the file play using VLC.

okay :)

Well the file must be somewhere on your system then. You probably just clicked ok when it asked you to save the file without noticing where it actually placed it. Two things you can do:

Click the windows icon in the bottom left and if you have windows vista just enter "vlc-1.0.0-win32" in the search box in the bottom, if you have xp you need to press search and then enter the "vlc-1.0.0-win32" in the window that appears. That should hopefully find the file for you. Then doubleclick it and install just following instructions.

Or:

Download the file again and this time select to save it at the desktop of your computer so you can easily install it from there once it's finished downloading.

On the other subject (iffy Windoze) IF you have a real copy with the requisite Product Key (5 groups of five characters) there are a number of utilities about to allow you to change the key and 'legitimize' your Windows, do a Google on 'change windows product key'.

Whilst not 100% legal it will enable you to pass the Genuine Advantage test :)

VLC and GOM are both good players that handle just about anything. I perfer GOM.

As for Windows WGA believe normal security updates are still available - just extras like IE8 and Media Player are not.

Don't give yourself a headache. Just download and install this MPEG4 CoDec in order to get picture & sound.

thanks ,i tried that and it didnt work ,so after throwing all my toys out of the pram i tried system restor to a week ago and hey presto it all works fine (why didnt i do that to start?)

thanks all for your help.