What's The Best Brand Of Green Tea?

joebuzzard

I tend to drink Jasmine tea, which is Green Tea flavored w/ Jasmine leaves and is less sweet and more fragrant than most of the green teas I have tasted. I like them both hot and chilled. My favorites are the yellow tins of tea leaves that say "Jasmine Tea" in English, French, and Chinese and are marked as an import of the Fujian import export company of China, and some Yamamotoyama (?) brand individually foil-wrapped bags exported from Japan.

Most of the straight green teas I have had here are loose leaves in various cans and sacks with Chinese labeling that I cannot read. I think you cannot go terribly wrong w/ reasonable teas like this from Chinatown or any more Asian market, though you have to experiment to find the one that suits you most. As I recall, the "tip" cut green teas tend to be the sweetest, if you can find someone to explain the different types available.

Many of the green teas I have had in Thailand or in Chinese restaurants in the west have turned out more yellowish in the cup, while more of the Japanese green teas steep to a bright green color. I've never really settled on one like I have w/ the Jasmine tea. I tend to only have green teas at random in restaurants.