Farmer Wanted

Hello

Would like to find a farmer willing to grow a vegetable for us, which we currently import in decent amounts for our different locations. Prefer close to the Chiang Mai area, and with what we currently pay for a USA product would be a small scale profitable item. Vegetable in question grows well in well drained soil, but not heavy clay; best crops grow a corn field following the corn harvest.

My apologies for not posting which vegetable, but this is a serious request and welcome any information.

Best Regards

Commercial sensitivity - fair enough.

Decent amounts (?) - in terms of mass/weight (or land area required) what does decent amount mean?

And why Thailand (?) - I presume you are talking about a Thai vegatable of sorts, but there are probably lots of other areas/countries in which it would be possible to cultivate the crop (to include the States), but from which, logisticaly at least, import/export would be a lot more straightforward and quicker (Thailands' import/export procedures are not the most user friendly).

Pinto beans are not so readily available in Chiang Mai but there was a missionary guy who grew them but has since stopped. At least since the last time I asked him. Another guy grew some and the beans were small. He wasn't growing them for sale. He gave me a big bag of them and I planted them on a hill on our farm. They seem to be doing well enough. His had a lot of bugs in the bag but they grew anyways.

Talk to the Royal Project. I think they do grow some. The Royal Project also grows jalapenos, in case you wonder where Kasem Store gets them from and once in a while some really nice Haas avocados.

Edited by getgoin

Maizefarmer and Getgoing; PM's sent.

Thank You

Probably you might get more of an interest if you said that you want to buy 1000 kilos of pinto beans at 50 baht a kilo. 50,000 Baht is a decent amount to motivate most farmers. Or if you asked if any of the Thaivisa farmers if they were currently growing or have grown in the past the pinto bean. I'll give you an update when mine start to produce.

should this thread be renamed : who wants to grow pinto beans? because the first post made me think of less legal substances to be grown; given the northern area etc etc... and the secretiveness of the posts...

maizefarmer-- want to clue me in?

thanks,

bina/israel/moderator

Getgoin, how did you come the conclusion that he wanted pinto beans?

Roger that!

How much of what do you need? Thailand is fairly divided via height...the crop you grow depends on the the height above sea level your farm is?

More info would be good...I promise I wont steal your idea :)

Hello

Would like to find a farmer willing to grow a vegetable for us, which we currently import in decent amounts for our different locations. Prefer close to the Chiang Mai area, and with what we currently pay for a USA product would be a small scale profitable item. Vegetable in question grows well in well drained soil, but not heavy clay; best crops grow a corn field following the corn harvest.

My apologies for not posting which vegetable, but this is a serious request and welcome any information.

Best Regards

You said serious request and welcome any information....care to fill in all the blanks first? :)

what do you need? How much per kg for the willing farmers who live in/near Chiang Mai area?

In my area there is a big hold sale market where all the farmer bring there produce for sale, I would suggest you check your area for such a market, bet you could make some good contacts there, might even find a farmer that would be will to help you out for a small fee. :D:D:):D:D

Getgoin, how did you come the conclusion that he wanted pinto beans?

Educated guess. I'm not sure why the need for secrecy. Lot's of people always looking for pintos but when it comes down to buying them they never buy and the people growing them lose interest because there is no use for pintos in Thai cooking.

The price for locally grown pintos is always rather high because most of the beans come from the US and the local beans are marked up accordingly. The fact of the matter is that most of the beans available around Thailand are between 25 to 35 Baht a kilo. As the market for pintos gets larger and production goes up, the price will come down to meet the average price of beans. If the hill tribes find that there is a decent market for pintos and the price is good, they will grow some. There has to be a market or it will be a one time deal. One of the reasons why there is an abundance or red beans and not much else.

By the way, my pintos are growing but the brother-in-law says that something is eating them.

Also as a side note to Randy, there is a lady in the Muang Mai market that sells spices and beans. She regularly has white beans. Location is a secret. (Just kidding.) On the northeast corner of the big covered over fruit market, 2 blocks north of the center of the market and just 2 shops to the left. She has all sorts of spices, nuts and beans.