Sat Nav

wood

Would anyone suggest what is the best way to buy a car sat nav which works in BKK and the rest of Thailand, unless thisast bit is asking too much.

Do they have to be bought in Thailand, which I believe are not cheap, or can you buy in the uk and take over, would I then work ?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are talking GPS... I have a tom tom that I bought in the US for my car, but it does not work in Thailand as they have no maps. Best is to but one at pantip it has pre-installed Thai maps and has Thai and English installed.

Would anyone suggest what is the best way to buy a car sat nav which works in BKK and the rest of Thailand, unless thisast bit is asking too much.

Do they have to be bought in Thailand, which I believe are not cheap, or can you buy in the uk and take over, would I then work ?

Thanks in advance.

Please google global5thailand. I am not allowed to post web links.....

Address: 2013A 2nd floor, Robinson zone, Seacon Square in Bangkok. Tel: 02-721-9811, 02-748-2566, or mobile: 08-6612-5252. Look at their website for a location map.

These guys own the best GPS store in BKK. They store all major brands and the owners (five friends = global 5!) will take ample time in terms of demonstrating all available brands in Thailand. Their English is great as well, which helps a lot! Last year I purchased a KAMAZ NAAV 430. Kamaz is a German brand and a relative newcomer on the Thai market. I liked the German look-and feel of the Kamaz and the nice 4" touch screen. Another very handy feature is the built-in FM transmitter. This allows you to receive verbal guidance via your car radio and hands-free phone operation if your mobile has blue-tooth. Kamaz features the SpeedNavi SQ software and maps which are super. Last month hey came out which a new version called SpeedNavi SQ+, which is absolutely fabulous. They come out with major updates every year which you can download for free, once you've registered at their website. Please google speednavi!

I paid 17.900 Baht, but they have smaller, cheaper models as well. Also I strongly recommend that you buy a AR-50 Signal Radiator for 2390 Baht, which plugs into your cigarette lighter socket. This nifty little device amplifies the GPS signal INSIDE your car so that GPS reception is always optimal.

To make a long story short, thanks to Kamaz and Speednavi SQ+, driving in Thailand has become a pleasure instead of a chore!

Hope this helps!