Airport Gets Thailand's Fastest Internet

Airport gets Thailand's fastest internet

CAT Telecom will install 126 high-speed internet kiosks at Suvarnabhumi Airport in a joint venture with airport authorities. The kiosks will feature terminals with a 10 Mbps internet service, free of charge for tourists. The project would help the airport achieve its goal of ranking among the world's top 10 airports by the end of the year, said Sereerat Prasutanont, the President of Airports of Thailand Plc.

The kiosks will be available for both international and domestic travellers. Four terminals have already been installed since last month. Each of the internet kiosks comes with two screens. The upper screen will show news and announcements from CAT and AoT. The lower display will be for users, who will be limited to a 15-minute session before being automatically logged off.

Sereerat said that AoT was also making other improvements at the airport, including the rollout of free WiFi internet throughout, and improving seats in waiting areas.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/teleco...astest-internet

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-10

LOL.

How stupid are they? It will take a lot more than a few internet terminals.

For starters... friendly staff, security, operators, decent and affordable food, a decent layout...

Oh, did I forget about the thieves that steal your valuables....?

Or the tourists that are being locked up and blackmailed by authorities?

Yeah right... Top 10 airports.... Lol. Burry your head in the sand... Go on...

I was at Suvarnabhumi a few days ago. Looking at the place as a tourist - first impressions are good. Clear, easy to read departures board - giving details of which row to use to check in. It goes downhill after that ...

* How do I get from check-in to passport control / immigration ? No signs - just guess / follow crowd.

* No smiles from immigration. No 'did you have a pleasant stay, please come back soon.'

* Once through immigration, a real battle to find a seat to sit down, apart from the few food shops.

* Next to nothing apart from high end shopping - which was at least 30% dearer than Bangkok shops and markets - and this is Duty Free ???

* Even Singapore's LCCT was better than Suvarnabhumi ... free internet at Changi since it was opened.

Peter

I was at Suvarnabhumi a few days ago. Looking at the place as a tourist - first impressions are good. Clear, easy to read departures board - giving details of which row to use to check in. It goes downhill after that ...

* How do I get from check-in to passport control / immigration ? No signs - just guess / follow crowd. It's a bit harsh in the beginning, once you know your fine.

* No smiles from immigration. No 'did you have a pleasant stay, please come back soon.' It's with both comming in an out, guess they can't smile anymore.

* Once through immigration, a real battle to find a seat to sit down, apart from the few food shops. True

* Next to nothing apart from high end shopping - which was at least 30% dearer than Bangkok shops and markets - and this is Duty Free ??? Yes, I miss the cheap food joints to

* Even Singapore's LCCT was better than Suvarnabhumi ... free internet at Changi since it was opened.

Calm down it will be better.

Peter

reading the replies here, so typical of the negativity in this forum..

I say, congratulations to them for this new service at BKK, it is obviously overdue but it's GREAT news that it is now happening.

For all those whingers, try finding free internet and free wifi at Sydney or Melbourne airports (besides in CIP lounges).

I don't think Ive been through many passport control sections at any airport worldwide and been greeted with a chirpy immigration officer who wants to have a chat and wish me well on my trip etc, it just doesn't happen. I'll compare again to coming into Australia through immigration and customs, where everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise. Coming in and out of Thailand is a pleasure compared to that.

I say, congratulations to them for this new service at BKK, it is obviously overdue but it's GREAT news that it is now happening.

For all those whingers, try finding free internet and free wifi at Sydney or Melbourne airports (besides in CIP lounges).

I don't think Ive been through many passport control sections at any airport worldwide and been greeted with a chirpy immigration officer who wants to have a chat and wish me well on my trip etc, it just doesn't happen. I'll compare again to coming into Australia through immigration and customs, where everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise. Coming in and out of Thailand is a pleasure compared to that.

Hear, hear.

I can relate to this.

The OZ immigration is far more dour than at Swampy.

Seems to me there a lot of negative lemmings passing thru' Swampy.

Only comment I have is, are there any WiFi hotspots installed.

I am aware of about 4, but not installed for public useage, and could be secured at any time.

Swampy is one of my favourite airports, open spaces, cheap tukka.

Get a life you whingers.

[...]

The kiosks will be available for both international and domestic travellers. Four terminals have already been installed since last month. Each of the internet kiosks comes with two screens. The upper screen will show news and announcements from CAT and AoT. The lower display will be for users, who will be limited to a 15-minute session before being automatically logged off.

Sereerat said that AoT was also making other improvements at the airport, including the rollout of free WiFi internet throughout, and improving seats in waiting areas.

[...]

I'm not really interested in the kiosks, but the free wifi is very much appreciated. I'm used to it from other airports (KUL, VIE), but at BKK, even if I'm willing to pay (AIS Hotspot) it's a problem to access emails.

Try Swampy's real competition - Changi.

endure - the point here is that they are adding the service, and it is for free.... yet the immediate response from people on this forum was negativity.

of course ive tried changi, 75% of my flying is with Singapore Airlines and I agree of course that Changi is about the best airport in the world.

Here in the Land of Scams, as it's sometimes lovingly dubbed, I would think twice about entering even my Hotmail username and password in a public kiosk.

Why not enter the new millenium and sprinkle WiFi routers throughout the terminal for those with their own computers and/or handheld devices? Save the money on hardware (computer terminals/monitors/keyboards) and maintenance.

Recognizing that not everybody travels with a notebook/pda/blackberry, maybe have just a couple kiosks for those brave folks who are willing to trust internet security.

Here in the Land of Scams, as it's sometimes lovingly dubbed, I would think twice about entering even my Hotmail username and password in a public kiosk.

What about the thousands of internet cafes everywhere across the country?

I would think at least three times before using one of them.

[...]

[...]

I'm not really interested in the kiosks, but the free wifi is very much appreciated. I'm used to it from other airports (KUL, VIE), but at BKK, even if I'm willing to pay (AIS Hotspot) it's a problem to access emails.

well,wel - not true.Couple of days ago I connected to free wifi at swam.. domestic departure,the domain was - www.thai.net

the fact,it happened the first time,never before.and it was near some internet kiosks.times are changing - sometimes for better.

Try Swampy's real competition - Changi.

No competition at all, Changi it's on another level, probably due to the host country.

Swampy is very close to the level of middle east, police came, you go away forever.... :)

What about the thousands of internet cafes everywhere across the country?

I would think at least three times before using one of them.

Hotmail protect only the entry, all Gmail session are crypted.

guys.. inside bangkok also 10 MB internet is now available for only 1450 baht. i will get on monday at my apartment. it is M-NET if i am not wrong. so why should you go to airport for this speed of internet? anyways let the authorities improve the services one by one. you cant compare to a place just recently opened with places which are in services for a long time.

i cant say i get this and that service from heathrow and i dont get it from Suvarnabhumi.. i am not that stupid.. be patience it will all come here in Bangkok..

If it's run like the rest of the airport then expect key logger programs installed and a team of fraudster's behind the scenes gleaning vital info.

The place needs to hire outside management.

Corruption runs thru the entire organization.

[...]

[...]

well,wel - not true.Couple of days ago I connected to free wifi at swam.. domestic departure,the domain was - www.thai.net

the fact,it happened the first time,never before.and it was near some internet kiosks.times are changing - sometimes for better.

I'm out of the country once a month on average, so I get to check regularly. I'll check again tomorrow on my way to Cambodia whether www.thai.net offers free internet access. TBH, I'd be surprised.

The a couple of weeks ago and agree Changi is nice....but carpets on the floor?........ :)

on the other h..friendly bars and eating places ,(as already mentioned) free web use,smashing wee train between the terminals and generally a feeling of security...NO SCAMS like Suwanna....

The a couple of weeks ago and agree Changi is nice....but carpets on the floor?........ :)

An unbelievably clean carpet, too -- I was surprised. It also is a compact carpet so pulling wheeled suitcase is almost as easy as on tiled floor.

I think the carpet helps with noise reduction, as well as being a pleasing pattern on the floor.

The cheap-looking white floors at Suvarnabhumi always look dirty and worn, with lots of cracks and chips around the edges.

I am quite amazed by how negative this forum gets. The forum itself should be renamed "Thailand bashing forum" or something. Seriously. Things are being improved, yet the responses are: OMG! they are going to scam our username/passwds. Geez.

So much hate going on around here. Seems like people haven't been to Malaysia where credit cards scams are everywhere! Outside of KLIA, everyone is scamming!

I am quite amazed by how negative this forum gets. The forum itself should be renamed "Thailand bashing forum" or something. Seriously. Things are being improved, yet the responses are: OMG! they are going to scam our username/passwds. Geez.

So much hate going on around here. Seems like people haven't been to Malaysia where credit cards scams are everywhere! Outside of KLIA, everyone is scamming!

Totally agreed, I visit less often now and only participate occasionally, due to the negative attitude from the majority of POSTERS. It really is quite depressing, I don't know why these people bother living and visiting Thailand at all.