90 Day Reporting In The Uk, If You Move

chiang mai

I'll paraphrase an article from the International Express 9-15 July where it says:

Amendments are being prepared for approval by UK MP's that will require everyone, citizens and visitors alike, to report change of name or address within ninety days, failure to do that will result in a fine of up to GBP 1,000. Interestingly the article does not suggest this is a new bill but more an amendment to existing legislation so I guess it's a done deal.

It makes me wonder how some Thai based expats will manage with this new law, especially those that "live" in Thailand but also "live" in the UK for reasons of the UK benefits they wish to maintain. And by benefits I refer initially to medical benefits although the scope could include other items as well.

Edited by chiang mai

I am not from the UK, but I am not interested in any semi-facist state knowing my whereabouts. As far as my government is concerned I am 'unregistered' and I would prefer it that way. I am not going to get in line for the toxic forced swine flu inoculation, the carbon tax, economic breakdown, amero dollar or whatever. :)

Let's hope Thailand steers clear the next years.

Interestingly the article does not suggest this is a new bill but more an amendment to existing legislation so I guess it's a done deal.

I wonder what existing legislation it came from????

Seems draconian to say the least !!!!!

Penkoprod

I'll paraphrase an article from the International Express 9-15 July where it says:

Amendments are being prepared for approval by UK MP's that will require everyone, citizens and visitors alike, to report change of name or address within ninety days, failure to do that will result in a fine of up to GBP 1,000. Interestingly the article does not suggest this is a new bill but more an amendment to existing legislation so I guess it's a done deal.

It makes me wonder how some Thai based expats will manage with this new law, especially those that "live" in Thailand but also "live" in the UK for reasons of the UK benefits they wish to maintain. And by benefits I refer initially to medical benefits although the scope could include other items as well.

Hilarious tory propaganda from the express

Would'nt surprise me if its true though....

Luckily the government won't be around long enough for this nonsense to become law....will they?? :)

Luckily the government won't be around long enough for this nonsense to become law....will they?? :D

There's still 11/12 months to go until a possible UK election. Enough time for them to steamroll new legislation through that will take the new goverment years & ££££ of taxpayers money to undo :)

That kind of law is almost as 'scary' as the old FBI warning not to copy the VCR movie you were watching!

From the quality, it already looked like a copy - a very bad one!!

Desperados - wonder if sending the Brits the one grand upfront, would forgive all sins?!

Bubba

Luckily the government won't be around long enough for this nonsense to become law....will they?? :D

There's still 11/12 months to go until a possible UK election. Enough time for them to steamroll new legislation through that will take the new goverment years & ££££ of taxpayers money to undo :)

Nah It'll take 20 years to get through the european cout of human rights at admittedly millions of pounds of taxpayers expense

Good old EU....useful for something at last!

...Amendments are being prepared for approval by UK MP's that will require everyone, citizens and visitors alike, to report change of name or address within ninety days, failure to do that will result in a fine of up to GBP 1,000. Interestingly the article does not suggest this is a new bill but more an amendment to existing legislation so I guess it's a done deal...

Below is a copy of the front and back cover of a UK Certificate of Registration issued around 1975 based on the Aliens Order 1953 requiring notification of a change of address within seven days. It may not necessarily be the old law being amended now mentioned by chiang mai but it confirms that at least foreigners in the UK had to report a change of address already 56 years ago.

post-21260-1247337394_thumb.jpg

--

Maestro

But report to who exactly? When you move you change all your household bills, bank statements etc.. Where is this central registration system.

ID cards have just been given the no so is this the alternative?

So only people who move will be registered? All those staying put are not?

Trying to do anything in UK is very chicken and egg. For everything you need photo ID and proof of address. Something people should keep in mind.

When you don't have these you can't get them if you see my meaning.

It seems to me the the govt is desperately seeking a way to consolidate residential info.

This is part of the ID card/National database that the Labour government is trying to push through. The Home Secretary recently said that ID cards will now be voluntary. He didn't mention anything about the national database which is the scary part of the story. Both the Tories and the Lib Dems have said they'll throw it all out if/when they get into power so there's no point in getting too excited about it yet as a general election looms in the not too distant future.

This is part of the ID card/National database that the Labour government is trying to push through. The Home Secretary recently said that ID cards will now be voluntary. He didn't mention anything about the national database which is the scary part of the story. Both the Tories and the Lib Dems have said they'll throw it all out if/when they get into power so there's no point in getting too excited about it yet as a general election looms in the not too distant future.

Yes but its already on the statute books, and is only being "amended"

God knows how long its been there, whatever it might be (no one seems to know right now)

Typical of ALL parties - they tinker with things and the other parties soon forget they exist, until they (the legislations) come back to haunt.

As for the databse..........well, heres just ONE reference to one of them:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5683677.ece

Penkoprod

Dont be too sure the idea for ID cards was a Tory (Michael Howard) one when ZanuLiebour were in opposition in the early 90s, ZanuLiebour were against it back then.

Dont be too sure the idea for ID cards was a Tory (Michael Howard) one when ZanuLiebour were in opposition in the early 90s, ZanuLiebour were against it back then.

The current plans for ID cards have nothing at all to do with Michael Howard. They're purely a Labour invention.

God knows how long its been there, whatever it might be (no one seems to know right now)

Typical of ALL parties - they tinker with things and the other parties soon forget they exist, until they (the legislations) come back to haunt.

Penkoprod

They've got to get it up and running first. If the NHS database is anything to go by we'll all be dead and buried before that happens.

The current plans for ID cards have nothing at all to do with Michael Howard. They're purely a Labour invention.

Call me a cynic but LIB, LAB and CON are all in it together IMHO.

But youre right in its present form these cards are a Labour invention, but the idea was first mooted by Michael Howard when he was home secretary in the early 90s.

I heard the guy from the company who are supposed to be behind the technology talking about what a wonderful idea they are, he also mentioned his company made the cards in freedom loving States such as Singapore and Hong Kong, but mentioned the British version would be far more detailed.

Edited by sanmiguellight

Penkoprod

They've got to get it up and running first. If the NHS database is anything to go by we'll all be dead and buried before that happens.

You arnt wrong there ,anything this govt touches never works and as for tracking you ,when we moved we informed the relevent dept that we no longer required child allowence ,to cut a long story short they kept sending cheques which i sent back ,they also gave us a new no and paid money into my wifes account , in the end i gave up and threw the cheques away uncashed ,what a load of numptys the govt ,track you? they couldnt find you if they had a map.

Penkoprod

You arnt wrong there ,anything this govt touches never works and as for tracking you ,when we moved we informed the relevent dept that we no longer required child allowence ,to cut a long story short they kept sending cheques which i sent back ,they also gave us a new no and paid money into my wifes account , in the end i gave up and threw the cheques away uncashed ,what a load of numptys the govt ,track you? they couldnt find you if they had a map.

Yes you are quite right I completed my tax return on line on a Tuesday night and by the following Monday less than a week later the rebate was in my bank account. This is an absolute disgrace and time the government sorted this mess out. The NHS database will mean that anywhere in the country if you require treatment they will have your latest medical history notwithstanding public holidays and someone being called out to open up a filing cabinet to search for your records by which time you might well be dead. Of course such a huge database takes time to get right but why bother we really don’t need this sort of intrusion into our lives. Also the next time I am in a bank queue waiting behind some clown who wants to withdraw a large sum of money and every request for ID is met with, "No I do not have that" I will be able to rejoice that we haven’t gone down the road to 1984 like many European countries that have adopted an ID card. When I withdraw money from my local Bangkok Bank which I have done many many times and they request my passport I can tell them to shove off. National Database now that would be an innovation I hope the Inland Revenue does not have one or the DVLC or the NHS or the DWP or continue with list. I think it is time we got rid of computers they are obviously one of the reasons for this mess.

I am surprised at the date of this article April 1st would have been more appropriate.

I suspect the existing legislation that is being ammended is a throw back to WWI and that is I think what Maestro refers to in his post - the UK is notorious for making new laws and not repleaing older ones that have sat on the books for hundreds of years, this is why it perfectly leagal for some farmer in Somerset to demand the closure of London Bridge during rush hour, just so he can move a herd of sheep from one side to the other! I kid you not. But regardless, I also understand from elsewhere in that same rag, er newspaper, that the idea of a national database is now DROPPED.