Purchasing Land

Hi,

I am new to this. I am going to Thailand with my mother to try to help her get her father's (he passed away 30 yrs ago) land situated so she can build a home on it. I don't understand how land is bought and sold in Thailand. She says the land she has is not the type that can be sold or rented and is land that is in the family and passed down. It was passed down to her brother who passed away 3 yrs ago and now we have to try to figure out what to do now. I guess someone has "paperwork" that may be something like a title that we need to get situated. Hopefully this makes sense to someone that can explain it to me. I appreciate any advice. I would like information on who in local government or whatever agency deals in title work, building permits, etc. Thank you in advance for responding.

Blessings,

Thaiwegian

Hi,

I am new to this.  I am going to Thailand with my mother to try to help her get her father's (he passed away 30 yrs ago) land situated so she can build a home on it.  I don't understand how land is bought and sold in Thailand.  She says the land she has is not the type that can be sold or rented and is land that is in the family and passed down.  It was passed down to her brother who passed away 3 yrs ago and now we have to try to figure out what to do now.  I guess someone has "paperwork" that may be something like a title that we need to get situated. Hopefully this makes sense to someone that can explain it to me.  I appreciate any advice.  I would like information on who in local government or whatever agency deals in title work, building permits, etc.  Thank you in advance for responding.

Blessings,

Thaiwegian

Your mother is Thai ?

Hi,

I am new to this.  I am going to Thailand with my mother to try to help her get her father's (he passed away 30 yrs ago) land situated so she can build a home on it.  I don't understand how land is bought and sold in Thailand.  She says the land she has is not the type that can be sold or rented and is land that is in the family and passed down.  It was passed down to her brother who passed away 3 yrs ago and now we have to try to figure out what to do now.  I guess someone has "paperwork" that may be something like a title that we need to get situated. Hopefully this makes sense to someone that can explain it to me.  I appreciate any advice.  I would like information on who in local government or whatever agency deals in title work, building permits, etc.  Thank you in advance for responding.

Blessings,

Thaiwegian

Your mother is Thai ?

Yes she is Thai.

I don't know much about squaters land rights... or lack there of.

I think you have to farm it while you squat on it, after a period of time (I think ten yrs.) you can file for a squaters title. You get the title, but with the conditions that you can not sell the land, nor genearate revenue from that land by other means besides farming.....

Now my friend, this all is conjecture, I am sure there are those on this forum that can help you further than my statements.

The magic words when it comes to ownership are Chanod or Tor Tor 3.

There are others but these are the ones that you want.

At work at the mo but got other info on my home computer ...will have a look tonight. :o

I don't know much about squaters land rights...  or lack there of.

I think you have to farm it while you squat on it, after a period of time (I think ten yrs.) you can file for a squaters title. You get the title, but with the conditions that you can not sell the land, nor genearate revenue from that land by other means besides farming.....

Now my friend, this all is conjecture, I am sure there are those on this forum that can help you further than my statements.

Thanks for the info. I am guessing it is a squatters title that my grandfather originally obtained. I believe the land is being farmed. I am going to have to see the situation when I arrive and get a feel for what is happening. This will be tough considering my Thai is limited to greetings, finding a bathroom and eating rice. I am trying to learn more. Can you put a home on squatters land?

The magic words when it comes to ownership are Chanod or Tor Tor 3.

There are others but these are the ones that you want.

At work at the mo but got other info on my home computer ...will have a look tonight. :o

I will have to ask my mother if she knows the type of ownership it is. I just want to cover as many bases as possible before arriving. Thanks for the help.