How Far Around The Moat?

ctrunfree

I did a motorcycle ride around the inside of the moat and it measured exactly 1.8 km between each corner, or a total of 7.2 km. Unless my motorcycle speedo was wrong that is pretty much it. I only did so because my friend and I often walk that route from our hotel on Whing Phing road (near airport).

In the old scale, it is 1 mile per side, that's 1.6 kms these days. But as Winnie The Buffalo says, it depends whether you are on the inside, outside or down the middle.

I have always wondered how come the dimensions of the old city are so close to being a statute mile per side that it could not be an accident. Does anybody know the history behind this? Blinky Bill was probably around when it was built but surely that can not have been too many other farangs.

That's a pretty good average speed for a walk of that distance, about 6 kph.

My guess is the walls were built long before the term mile was defined, and certainly long before mile would have been in widespread use, so it would appear to be complete chance.

The mile goes back to the days of the Romans and has been incorporated in many civilizations since. 1 mile is 1/60th of a degree and there are 360 degrees around the circumference of the earth. At the equator this is 21,600 miles. The further north or south on travels the shorter the degrees of longitude become. ie, a degree of longitude at the equator is 60 nm, whereas at the poles it is zero. Interesting.

Indeed, and being a cross country runner or hurdler will help you avoid breaking an ankle in the potholes and help you hurdle over motorcycles :)

The mile goes back to the days of the Romans and has been incorporated in many civilizations since. 1 mile is 1/60th of a degree and there are 360 degrees around the circumference of the earth. At the equator this is 21,600 miles. The further north or south on travels the shorter the degrees of longitude become. ie, a degree of longitude at the equator is 60 nm, whereas at the poles it is zero. Interesting.

Not to be pedantic but the measurement of miles in degrees is a nautical mile which is longer than a mile, derrived from the Latin word mille (1,000). The roman version was actually a different length, as was the scottish, until the victorians made what we know today as a mile (5280 ft).

More information here: http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictM.html#mile

Indeed, and being a cross country runner or hurdler will help you avoid breaking an ankle in the potholes and help you hurdle over motorcycles :)

That is for certain. You have to keep your eyes on the street right in front of you to jump over potholes, sleeping dogs, motorcycles and all the brick-brack that shops put on what are supposed to be sidewalks. When I can, I like to move onto the sidewalk beside the moat rather than along the so called sidewalk next to the shops. There are less obstructions to jump over. The only hassle is crossing the roads that cross the moat. They often have crazy bikers and cars zipping around the corner without looking.

Any time close to an hour to complete the circuit is REALLY moving. I can walk at 6 km per hour (4 mph) but that is not stopping for traffic or hopping over obstacles. It is really just under a jogging pace. But, my 40 year career was walking quickly over floating logs and I've been a natural fast walker all my life. It comes naturally and it's actually harder for me to slow down to the Thai pace... a slow meander.

There are 6 feet in a fathom and 1012.7 fathoms in a nautical mile. Therefore there are 6076 feet in a nautical mile, or 796 feet more than a standard mile.

But, distances are only relative to the time it takes to travel between two points.

There are 6 feet in a fathom and 1012.7 fathoms in a nautical mile. Therefore there are 6076 feet in a nautical mile, or 796 feet more than a standard mile.

But, distances are only relative to the time it takes to travel between two points.

To me, being Swedish, a mile ("mil" in Swedish) = 10 km = 10,000 metres. Only sensible mile that I know of :)

/ Priceless

Now that's interesting Ian. The number 1012.7 is very, very close to the standard barometric pressure (QNH) of 1013 millibars used in the aviation industry for setting flight levels............

Is there some mysterious link? Goofie2.gif

Now that's interesting Ian. The number 1012.7 is very, very close to the standard barometric pressure (QNH) of 1013 millibars used in the aviation industry for setting flight levels............

Is there some mysterious link? Goofie2.gif

That should actually be 1013.25 millibars :)

/ Priceless

That should actually be 1013.25 millibars :)

/ Priceless

I learn something new every day. That is what I like about threads that go somewhat off topic.

I hope the OP learned enough to start taking walks around the moat. It's a great way to learn the inner city and find neat little places to eat or visit. If I were to think only of a "power walk" I'd go somewhere in the country for that. In the city you are too busy dodging things to really "let er rip".

I used to belong to an outdoor club in the wilds of British Columbia. One couple was so busy trying to beat their previous time on some route that they failed to appreciate the spectacular mountains and waterfalls around them.

My guess is the walls were built long before the term mile was defined, and certainly long before mile would have been in widespread use, so it would appear to be complete chance.

The math is perfect, but experts now believe the circumference of the earth at the equator is almost 25,000 miles.

Might it have expanded due to global warming?

:)

I've always wondered about the people who exercise around the moat, surely all those fumes can't be healthy when you're respiring heavily?

True about the fumes, but reading about ChiangMai you will discover that DETOX and CLEANSING are favorit subjects.

In ChiangMai everything seems to be fixed on the outlet side, not the intake, so donot worry ! :)