(electro-)acupuncture In Chiangmai

kkk33

I would like to know where acupuncture is being practiced in Chiangmai. Also if it's "electro-acupuncture" or acupuncture without using electricity. Any recommendations or comments on rendered services ?

I had accupuncture with electric stimulation for a few months after my stroke.

The guy I used in Chiang Mai is named Hermanto, and he's Indonesian. Very personable guy, and speaks English well. His phone is 01-881-2267

My sessions were about 400 baht, but at my home, at my convenience. Fair price I felt.

I remember the big pop for me was at the beginning, buying a full set of (anticipated) needles. Like 1200 baht for something like 40 needles...

I've heard of these 'one-use needles'. What are they, exactly? Are they cheaper/better? The ones I got seemed pretty basic, but were used for months...

I've had 'unplugged' acupuncture from Dr Wang at the big Chinese pharmacy on Chang Moi Rd, near Warorot Market. The sign is in Thai and Chinese only, the Thai transliterates as Jip Ang Teung. I think their biz cards have English along the lines of Chip Aung Tong but that doesn't match the Thai.

Dr Wang uses disposable needles that come in surgically sealed envelopes. He's very good, don't know whether he can add electricity to the sessions but I assume he can, since I was doing the electro form as far back as 1977 in Bangkok's Chinatown, seems to be a standard part of the practice.

My most recent session with Dr Wang was two weeks ago, for a sore throat. The acupuncture, coupled with the herbs he prescribed, knocked my sore throat out in a matter of hours.

Parking is very difficult in that part of town though ...

My most recent session with Dr Wang was two weeks ago, for a sore throat. The acupuncture, coupled with the herbs he prescribed, knocked my sore throat out in a matter of hours.

I hear Strepsils are good too :o

Seriously though, what about for general well being, i.e. for a pick-me-up, or to make you more relaxed for instance. I've never had any acupuncture but was considering trying it out. From talking to people in the past, a simple session targeted in the right area can release so much tesion it'll bring you to tears??

I hear Strepsils are good too :D

Seriously though, what about for general well being, i.e. for a pick-me-up, or to make you more relaxed for instance. I've never had any acupuncture but was considering trying it out. From talking to people in the past, a simple session targeted in the right area can release so much tesion it'll bring you to tears??

Well, when he was pushing these long needles in around my eyes, mouth, and fingers, I certainly came close to tears at times. Accunpuncture isn't always painless. :o

I can't say it helped me. Nothing obvious to me, anyway.

I hear Strepsils are good too :o

I appreciate the Strepsils joke, but with the kind of sore throat I had two weeks ago, throat lozenges would have had virtually no effect. Imagine the kind of sore throat where it feels like a chef's knife is lodged in your neck. Now imagine it feeling completely normal within 4 hours time. I would credit the herbs Dr Wang gave me as much as the acupuncture though.

To me acupuncture is more of an art than it is a science. It looks like a science, with all the charts and degrees, etc, but most acupuncture I've dabbled in has had the effect Ajarn mentioned, ie, no effect at all. A friend in California who is into acupuncture says it takes a lifetime to learn to do it properly and that most practicing acupuncturists (in the USA at least) are novices.

I've only found real results from two needle docs out of maybe a dozen that I've tried over the years. Dr Wang is one of them.

Another place that does acupuncture is Mungkala Chinese Clinic on Ratchamankha Rd in the old city, near Mit Mai restaurant. I've never been there but other people tell me it's pretty good. People who have been to both places typically favour Dr Wang, for what it's worth.

Dr Wang does general 'tune-ups' as well. Give it a whirl (so to speak) and decide for yourself.

Just my 2 baht, I know very little about Chinese medicine, so YMMV.

I hear Strepsils are good too :D

I appreciate the Strepsils joke, but with the kind of sore throat I had two weeks ago, throat lozenges would have had virtually no effect. Imagine the kind of sore throat where it feels like a chef's knife is lodged in your neck. Now imagine it feeling completely normal within 4 hours time. I would credit the herbs Dr Wang gave me as much as the acupuncture though.

To me acupuncture is more of an art than it is a science. It looks like a science, with all the charts and degrees, etc, but most acupuncture I've dabbled in has had the effect Ajarn mentioned, ie, no effect at all. A friend in California who is into acupuncture says it takes a lifetime to learn to do it properly and that most practicing acupuncturists (in the USA at least) are novices.

I've only found real results from two needle docs out of maybe a dozen that I've tried over the years. Dr Wang is one of them.

Another place that does acupuncture is Mungkala Chinese Clinic on Ratchamankha Rd in the old city, near Mit Mai restaurant. I've never been there but other people tell me it's pretty good. People who have been to both places typically favour Dr Wang, for what it's worth.

Dr Wang does general 'tune-ups' as well. Give it a whirl (so to speak) and decide for yourself.

Just my 2 baht, I know very little about Chinese medicine, so YMMV.

I thought you might, sabaijai :o

Cheers for that. I will give Wang a go when I get the chance.

• 1 year later...

Apols for re-opening this one,

Sabaijai, would you be so kind as to provide more detailed directions / landmarks for Dr. Wang's pharmacy? Or a telephone number from a business card?

I can read Thai and no doubt that I can find it with a bit of patience, but more info would be extremely useful (e.g. what Soi it's near) as I live on the other side of CM and don't frequent that area too often :-)

Cheers!

Apols for re-opening this one,

Sabaijai, would you be so kind as to provide more detailed directions / landmarks for Dr. Wang's pharmacy? Or a telephone number from a business card?

I can read Thai and no doubt that I can find it with a bit of patience, but more info would be extremely useful (e.g. what Soi it's near) as I live on the other side of CM and don't frequent that area too often :-)

Cheers!

Drive up Chang Moi Rd going towards Kat Luang (Worarot Market). Just before you reach Kat Luang the dispensary will be on your left, right on Chang Moi Rd. You'll see a sign with Chinese characters plus Thai and maybe Roman too. The Thai letters, if I recall correctly, read จิบอังตึง, which I would transcribe as Ang Teung. The Thai may have additional tonemarks to make it Chinese, I think one or more of the names has a mai tree tonemark to make it/them a high tone.

The Roman on the sign (or maybe it's only on the biz card, I forget) is something like 'Chip Aung Tong'. I have the card with phone number and address here somewhere but can't find it at the moment. It's not hard to find if you search that block on foot. Big open-front place that is obviously the largest Chinese pharmacy around.

Sabaijai,

Thank you very much for those detailed directions. I think that'll make it easy for me and anyone else to find the place :-) Will let you know how I get on - 24 and already getting lower back pain... geez that sucks. *makes mental note to get away from the computer and go and explore the city more*

:o

Fraktalkid

Drive up Chang Moi Rd going towards Kat Luang (Worarot Market). Just before you reach Kat Luang the dispensary will be on your left, right on Chang Moi Rd. You'll see a sign with Chinese characters plus Thai and maybe Roman too. The Thai letters, if I recall correctly, read จิบอังตึง, which I would transcribe as Ang Teung. The Thai may have additional tonemarks to make it Chinese, I think one or more of the names has a mai tree tonemark to make it/them a high tone.

The Roman on the sign (or maybe it's only on the biz card, I forget) is something like 'Chip Aung Tong'. I have the card with phone number and address here somewhere but can't find it at the moment. It's not hard to find if you search that block on foot. Big open-front place that is obviously the largest Chinese pharmacy around.