Refused An Australian Tourist Visa.

Hi,

My Thai wife an I live in Australia and we invited her sister from Bangkok to visit us for 3 weeks holiday.

My wife lived with her Aunt/Uncle (long gone) and does not have evidence of being sisters and I wrote a "letter of invitation" to the Australian Embassy simply saying they have been friends for many years.

I also sent statements of both my and my wife bank accounts and payslips, own house etc. We have no problem to look after her sister paying for her airfare and insurance.

Today found out that it was denied because of her sisters work. My wife sisters boss had written a letter saying how much she earned and for how long (6 months) at Big-C.

The Australian Embassy denied the visa because:

1. Not paid enough

2. Not long enough in job

3. Not enough savings (100,000 baht).

Anyway, is there anything further we could do beside my wifes sister trying to earn more + time in her job ?

Thanks, YBB

Edit: maybe a different visa type?

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

One of the first things looked at by Aust. Imm. is, what reason has the person applying for the visa have to return to Thailand and not do a runner in Aust.

As you are saying she is only a friend (not sister) with not much employment history = no real commitment to return home - therefore they have decided against a visa.

1. Not paid enough

Hi,

Did you clearly define in her application that you would sponsor her visit? You would have had to of written a letter stating this and then provide your financial details. Also, from memory, I believe there's a question on the form that asks this. It seems to me that the reasons they have given for declining the VISA are financial. If you've sponsored her then this shouldn't be an issue. The first time my wife, then girlfriend, got this VISA she was not working at the time and didn't have to provide any of this as I clearly stated that I would sponsor her visit and provide full financial and any other support that she would require.

Also, it might be a bit late to change your story regarding weather she is a friend or sister, however my advise is always be 100% honest with any 1st world embassy. If she's really her sister then you should have said as such. I've found honesty to be the best policy with 1st world embassies - not always the case with 3rd world ones :)

Good luck.

1. Not paid enough

Hi,

Did you clearly define in her application that you would sponsor her visit? You would have had to of written a letter stating this and then provide your financial details. Also, from memory, I believe there's a question on the form that asks this. It seems to me that the reasons they have given for declining the VISA are financial. If you've sponsored her then this shouldn't be an issue. The first time my wife, then girlfriend, got this VISA she was not working at the time and didn't have to provide any of this as I clearly stated that I would sponsor her visit and provide full financial and any other support that she would require.

Also, it might be a bit late to change your story regarding weather she is a friend or sister, however my advise is always be 100% honest with any 1st world embassy. If she's really her sister then you should have said as such. I've found honesty to be the best policy with 1st world embassies - not always the case with 3rd world ones :)

Good luck.

spot on.

We've managed to get my mothers sister in law - an upcountry bumpkin with no track record of work down to Australia numerous times, so long as it is clear to the embassy, that the trip is sponsored.

Hi,

My Thai wife an I live in Australia and we invited her sister from Bangkok to visit us for 3 weeks holiday.

My wife lived with her Aunt/Uncle (long gone) and does not have evidence of being sisters and I wrote a "letter of invitation" to the Australian Embassy simply saying they have been friends for many years.

I also sent statements of both my and my wife bank accounts and payslips, own house etc. We have no problem to look after her sister paying for her airfare and insurance.

Today found out that it was denied because of her sisters work. My wife sisters boss had written a letter saying how much she earned and for how long (6 months) at Big-C.

1. Not paid enough

Anyway, is there anything further we could do beside my wifes sister trying to earn more + time in her job ?

Thanks, YBB

There is a section on the form for additional funds provider, did you fill that bit out in yours and your wifes name ?

This would have been an application where a stat dec indicating that the trip was for a visit only and detailing the type of support being provided, could have been handy.

The letter from the boss needs only to state that she is being granted leave for the period of travel and that she will have employment on her return.

Include in the application any photos of you all together to show that you actually know her along with any letters, birthday cards etc..

What can you do now??........you could appeal the decision but it would cost more than it is worth......wait about 6 to 12 months and try again.....

Hi,

1. Not paid enough

Thanks, YBB

Hi YBB,

With respect, you have certainly started off on the wrong foot. The false information you supplied to DIAC has certainly put you in an awkward situation, especially with regards to any subsequent visa application.

Ultimately the application was refused because the DIAC delegate was not satisfied that the applicant had an intention to visit Australia as a genuine visitor only. As to what weakness the application had, well that can only be assessed by a proper assessment of the application submitted and the DIAC letter of refusal.

Regards

bridge

Hi,

1. Not paid enough

Thanks, YBB

There is a section on the form for additional funds provider, did you fill that bit out in yours and your wifes name ?

This would have been an application where a stat dec indicating that the trip was for a visit only and detailing the type of support being provided, could have been handy.

The letter from the boss needs only to state that she is being granted leave for the period of travel and that she will have employment on her return.

Include in the application any photos of you all together to show that you actually know her along with any letters, birthday cards etc..

What can you do now??........you could appeal the decision but it would cost more than it is worth......wait about 6 to 12 months and try again.....

As stated in my previous post, the OP, or should I say the visa applicant, is now in very awkward situation. Had the applicant stated that her friend, was in fact her sister (as she actually is), then the refusal would now be appellable. Of course I am assuming from the OP that her sister is either an Australian citizen or permanent resident. In my view to now lodge an appeal on the basis of the family relationship would have disastrous consequences.

Regards

bridge

Hi,

Yes my wife is an Aussie. Been here for 16 years.

About sponsorship, yes - in the letter of invitation I said we would pay for all costs including airfare and insurance etc. Both wife and I included our bank account statements and work payslips.

I did not fill in the visa form, it was filled in by someone (a friend of wife's sister) and I do not know if the sponsor bit was filled in. I wanted to fill it in myself but sister told my wife it was not necessary - she could get it done.

As far as saying (in letter of invitation) she is a friend, I suspected doing this could cause a later problem. Bad move - I agree.

It has taken soooo long for my wife (and her Mum) to organise paperwork to show evidence of family and thought it was easier to say she was her friend rather than sister, Bugg3r.

Like it was mentioned. maybe wait 6 months and apply again. It's my wifes 40th this year and would have nice to have here sister here. 

Thanks YBB

Edit: BTW regarding the "DIAC letter of refusal". Sister in BKK said she received a letter in English and I suppose this in "the" letter. I will see if she can send this letter to us.

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

We've managed to get my mothers sister in law - an upcountry bumpkin with no track record of work down to Australia numerous times, so long as it is clear to the embassy, that the trip is sponsored.

The exact words...

"We take full responsibility financially for XXXXX during her stay.

All costs for her stay will be paid by us including living costs, touring and help with health insurance and the return flight from Bangkok to Sydney".

Regards YBB

You have to note that the applications are being refused by Thai's working for the OZ embassy. Also they often don't even look at attached letters. Some ask some pretty nasty questions to the ladies and if the ladies get flustered they will not allow the visa.

The reasons they are the stock ones they give to most people.

She can apply again, but get your facts straight. You fill out all the relevent sections of the application form. Downloadable from the internet. I know it is risky but have the return air tickets to show them it is genuine. It is a lot easier if you are there to talk to them.

I not sure if there is a set time before she can apply again. I didn't think there was.

Best of luck .

You have to note that the applications are being refused by Thai's working for the OZ embassy. Also they often don't even look at attached letters. Some ask some pretty nasty questions to the ladies and if the ladies get flustered they will not allow the visa.

She can apply again, but get your facts straight. You fill out all the relevent sections of the application form. Downloadable from the internet. I know it is risky but have the return air tickets to show them it is genuine. It is a lot easier if you are there to talk to them.

I not sure if there is a set time before she can apply again. I didn't think there was.

Best of luck .

Appreciate you post newcomer01, thank you.

As stated in my previous post, the OP, or should I say the visa applicant, is now in very awkward situation. Had the applicant stated that her friend, was in fact her sister (as she actually is), then the refusal would now be appellable. Of course I am assuming from the OP that her sister is either an Australian citizen or permanent resident. In my view to now lodge an appeal on the basis of the family relationship would have disastrous consequences.

Regards

bridge

My point was that any refusal is appelable.......whether the cost of doing so for a $100 visa is viable is another matter.

Best of luck .

After a first refusal.....it would be ill advised to purchase a ticket prior to being approved on the second one....if that application is refused, he would do his dough on the ticket.

It is my belief that the Thai staff assess the visa applications but the actual decision is made by Aussie staff.

Hi,

1. Not paid enough

Anyway, is there anything further we could do beside my wife's sister trying to earn more + time in her job ?

Thanks, YBB

------------------------------------------------

It all depends on how much you want to get your wife's sister out for a visit and the time frame.

We can all procrastinate on this until the cows come in,

but firstly you have to find out if there is a time limit before she can apply for another visa. ( I would put this down as appealing the first refusal as their decision is final on each application). Ring the immigration department in Australia. Although I have found in the past they seem a bit out of touch with what actually happens at the overseas embassies.

Make sure that you fill out the application form and sign it as doing it. Make sure that the first refusal is documented on the application form and the reasons it should not be held against her this time. I know buying the return airline ticket is risky but it does show good faith. If they are sisters then say so. Hopefully they have the same family name (pre-marriage) Proof - wife's old ID card, previous passport, old house family papers. For her sister - AUD 500 - 1000 to show that she has some money when she gets to Australia.

Letter from her boss (if possible she will have employment when she returns to Thailand).

As for who actually approves the visa application it comes to the point that they never see an (Australian) Oz embassy official.

It may sound obvious but once they get the first visa it is a lot easier. Here in Chiangmai we can now get the Oz visa through an official courier agency without going to Bangkok.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Once again,

Good Luck

Best of luck .

After a first refusal.....it would be ill advised to purchase a ticket prior to being approved on the second one....if that application is refused, he would do his dough on the ticket.

It is my belief that the Thai staff assess the visa applications but the actual decision is made by Aussie staff.

I could not agree more with statement

Best of luck .

Not sure if other embasies are staffed by Thai as is the case here. I do know for certain that the New Zealand embassy in Bkk is staffed by Thai as the first person processing visas.

When applying to get my g/f into New Zealand, I had similar problems with the employee and ended having to go over her head and dealing with her NZ supervisor.

Long story - short.... I sponsored her, and showed I had the necessary funds. She had letters from her employer (govt officer on good money for a thai) . Reciept and copies of return air tickets and everything else they asked for on the forms.

3 1/2 months to get visa approved (and then it was a Special Purposes visa... valid for 16 days only)

Thai work ethics, even when working for a foriegn government.............................

my advice would be to put $10 000 into her bank account (wifes sister) and have her apply for a holiday visa.

I wish the OP best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Best of luck .

Not sure if other embasies are staffed by Thai as is the case here. I do know for certain that the New Zealand embassy in Bkk is staffed by Thai as the first person processing visas.

When applying to get my g/f into New Zealand, I had similar problems with the employee and ended having to go over her head and dealing with her NZ supervisor.

Long story - short.... I sponsored her, and showed I had the necessary funds. She had letters from her employer (govt officer on good money for a thai) . Reciept and copies of return air tickets and everything else they asked for on the forms.

3 1/2 months to get visa approved (and then it was a Special Purposes visa... valid for 16 days only)

Thai work ethics, even when working for a foriegn government.............................

my advice would be to put $10 000 into her bank account (wifes sister) and have her apply for a holiday visa.

Sorry, but that is really bad advice. DIAC Policy states the following:

"Particularly in high risk caseloads, case officers should be aware that recently deposited funds may raise doubts as to whether the funds are personally owned. A savings history is considered to be better evidence of the availability of adequate funds".

I covered this issues some time ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2521592

Regards

bridge

Rather than appeal, it would be quicker to apply again. I had a similar situation with a family member and we applied again within 2 weeks of the refusal and got the Visa.

Isn't there 2 types of visa, one being a sponsorship visa, I haven't time to look it up right now, but you could do it yourself, from memory it's different to the tourist visa and this may be the way to go.

I have been down this road myself, so can tell you the full story

1) the money she has and the money you have makes no difference, she is judged on her willingness to return to Thailand at the end of her Visa, in my case I had $50,000 put away for her and the visa was still a no go, the reason

They were not certain she would return

2) What ever you put in the first application is now written in riock and will be referred back to on every application you make in the future, change your story and they will knock her back on the Application not being the same

3) When asking for a tourist visa, writing don all the places she will be visiting while in Australia make it look like a genuine application, but to late for this

4) Applications for a tourist Visa have no appeal if knocked back, so forget this avenue

My best advise is now jump on a plane and go to Bkk, and ask for an appointment to speak to the head of Tourist Visa applications at the embassy

Explain you story and how come the mistake was made

If he or she is satisfied with your story they will mark it down on your record

No Thai employee will go against his decision and the next application you make will go through

At this point in time, you need to spend some money and kiss some a r s e

Been there done this

and the above was my only solution, and 6 weeks later my lady was in Australia

She also now appreciates that it not her god given right to be here

Best of luck .

Sorry, but that is really bad advice. DIAC Policy states the following:

"Particularly in high risk caseloads, case officers should be aware that recently deposited funds may raise doubts as to whether the funds are personally owned. A savings history is considered to be better evidence of the availability of adequate funds".

I covered this issues some time ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2521592

Regards

bridge

Point taken. I stand corrected.

The reason that the applicant did not have a 676 visa granted is basically she did not meet

the criteria.

She would have received a formal letter from DIAC explaining the reasons for their

decision.

There is an information form available go to the DIAC website and type in 48R in the search

box. The form is in PDF format.

It is not much point reapplying until she meets the criteria. You are not sponsoring her.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Decisions are made on the basis of the DIAC manual PAM3.

Remember, when the applicant signs the visa application form they are responsible for

what it contains.