How Long Have You Lived In Thailand?

IanForbes

How long have you lived in Thailand and what made you stay? Or, for the part time expats like me, how long have you been coming to Thailand and what brought you there in the first place?

I’ll tell my story first. I first came to Thailand in January, 1997 and I’ve been coming ever since. My second marriage ended in 1996 and I was celibate for 10 months. I was in need of a woman’s company but wasn’t about to get suckered into another relationship with all the baggage that second marriages carry. I had a single friend who visited Thailand every winter and he suggested I come visit him in Bangkok. Thailand wasn’t even on my radar, but I thought why not? We did the usual Nana Plaza – Soi Cowboy tour and then went off to Pattaya the next day. I had only planned to stay two weeks, but stayed a month. I needed to be baby sat to keep me from making all the usual mistakes that new comers make, but eventually got the scene all worked out.

The Thai bar scene to a horny celibate male is like cocaine to an addict. But, eventually all the one night stands start to wear thin and I went searching for something a little more substantial, and more to my liking. Even that was not hard to find and I met a pretty lady who stayed with me for my final week. We parted on a happy note and I met her the following year. But, like most farang -Thai relationships it didn’t last. But, we are STILL good friends… just no longer lovers.

Each yearly visit lasted about a month and I tried my best to see another part of Thailand each time… as well as my usual stay in Pattaya.. Over time I got to understand the country and its people much better and saw where I could be of some help. I chose to adopt a Thai family in Kanchanaburi and help support them, but not be their ONLY source of income. I helped them start a small water, ice and cold drink business.

I met a fishing friend over the internet and he invited me to visit him in Chiang Mai. Once I visited Chiang Mai and used it as a center I was hooked. It is an ideal size city for me and has most of everything I need. After establishing a circle of good friends and lovers, Chiang Mai became like a second home to me. I now stay for 5 months every winter from November until April. I am now ruined for any place else and have the best of both worlds.

Edited by IanForbes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you know that this topic has been done to death. Simply tacking your little story onto the end of an old thread, just doesn't quite make the cut thought, does it? I too am guilty of doing similar in the past. Since I came in 1975 my story would no doubt be too lengthy for most TV'ers to wade through.

You still show great pride in your extracurricular activities. I on the other hand, am embarrassed to admit that it took me 20+ years of play before I moved on to other things. It will be interesting to see how people respond to yet another how long and why thread.

OK I'll bite.

I had a nightclub in Hong Kong in the 80's and needed a place to get away from it. I started coming to Thailand in 1985 and eventually it became a monthly journey. I did this for about 7 years. Fearing 1997 I sold the club and moved back to SF. I took a job as F&B manager for a major hotel and kept coming to Thailand once or twice a year. Like Ian I mostly went to Bangkok and Pattaya with an occasional trip to Phuket. It wasn't until 1997 I came north to Chiang Mai and south to Phi Phi Island. They became my two favorite places in Thailand.

In the late 90's I found out I had inherited the degenerative bone disease my father had and after having both hips replaced at a relatively young age I decided to retire. I realized I could live better in Chiang Mai than San Francisco so in 2001 I moved here permanently. I met my current partner in the first month I lived here and we are about to celebrate our eighth anniversary with no end in site. I must disagree on the Farang-Thai relationship not working out issue. We managed to get a 10 year visa for my partner to go to the US and after a few trips we thought about staying for a couple years but I'm not ready to leave Chiang Mai just yet even with all the frustrations.

I'm sure you know that this topic has been done to death. Simply tacking your little story onto the end of an old thread, just doesn't quite make the cut thought, does it? I too am guilty of doing similar in the past. Since I came in 1975 my story would no doubt be too lengthy for most TV'ers to wade through.

You still show great pride in your extracurricular activities. I on the other hand, am embarrassed to admit that it took me 20+ years of play before I moved on to other things. It will be interesting to see how people respond to yet another how long and why thread.

All topics have been done to death. Just look at the number of where to eat topics.

Yes, I do take a lot of pride in my extracurricular activities. I love to fish, hike, explore, and ride my motorcycle 5 months of the year without having to wear rain gear or heavy leather clothing. I can sit on a beach, swim in clear ocean water and bounce around like a man 40 years younger. And, it is actually cheaper than staying home in Canada and paying the heating bills. Besides that I'm having a lot more fun. The only reason I don't move permanently to Thailand is I have my children and grand children here, and I love my trout, steelhead and salmon fishing too much to give it up.

Certainly there are things in Thailand that frustrate me, but I'm willing to put up with that. I would like to speak the language better, but my hearing and rote memory isn't as good as it once was. But, that is part of what I like in Chiang Mai... I don't have to speak Thai if I don't want to.

I just wondered why people decided to stay in Thailand after visiting it for the first time. Sansai Sam gave a good explanation. He had health issues. For me it was the same. I needed my teeth fixed and it was going to cost me $15,000 to have what I had done in the Grace clinic for just under $3,000. But, I needed to stay 5 months to get all the work done. In staying for 5 months Chiang Mai changed from being just a holiday trip location to being a second home.

I am not going into the whole story but 28 years later I live here full time. There are 2 people who I wish could/would give their story. Unfortunately the fist one died a few years ago after living here full time since 1945. The second one could probably give a short bio (some parts I know and have heard) that could bring laughter, anger happiness, sadness, tears, disbelief, etc. but he is kind of bashful. Will Blinky be in town tommorrow??

I feel there is no story to me being here and I look forward to tommorrow when I might just get lucky enough to be somewhere else. Personally I'd like to keep searching, hoping to find somewhere where there is a little bit less b.s. involved in the day to day living.

I will always come and go as I have family here and no close family anywhere else. end of rant.

Edited by neverdie

I am not going into the whole story but 28 years later I live here full time. There are 2 people who I wish could/would give their story. Unfortunately the fist one died a few years ago after living here full time since 1945. The second one could probably give a short bio (some parts I know and have heard) that could bring laughter, anger happiness, sadness, tears, disbelief, etc. but he is kind of bashful. Will Blinky be in town tommorrow??

28yrs??? WOW!!!

Managed to last 1yr in 2000 and have been trying to work my way back since.

There must be volumes of stories/history you could tell. What facinating conversations/experiences the 3 of you must have had.

You still show great pride in your extracurricular activities. I on the other hand, am embarrassed to admit that it took me 20+ years of play before I moved on to other things.

I don't mean to be rude, but 20+ years? Sounds like a product of growing older, rather than any great awakening. I have to wonder, how many of these people on Thai Visa who have "moved on to other things" fit in the same category? :)

You still show great pride in your extracurricular activities. I on the other hand, am embarrassed to admit that it took me 20+ years of play before I moved on to other things.

I don't mean to be rude, but 20+ years? Sounds like a product of growing older, rather than any great awakening. I have to wonder, how many of these people on Thai Visa who have "moved on to other things" fit in the same category? :)

Nothing rude about being honest, in my book.

You're very correct, about life being a progression. Granted, I did start off in my early twenties but aged a lot by the time I hit my forties. We are not always proud of what came before but it is a part of who we are, none the less.

As one ages, sell-by-dates popup from time to time, depending on the activity. Some gracefully move on, while others become clichés, oblivious to how they appear to others. I have notice a fairly large component on both sides of that equation here on TV.

Well, It's been 10 years living in Thailand, but now Im back in the USA. Things the past year with all the protests causing the airport to close and the economic down turn made me re-look at things. Love living in Thailand. I started coming to Thailand in 96 working for an engineering company doing projects all over Asia, but always looked forward to Thailand, after 3 years that was it moved to bangkok fulltime. But like I said this past year has been hard, I came back to the USA in April, not sure how long I will stay here, waiting for my wife to get her US visa, hoping this month. Will see how things go with her here in the US, but am sure I will be back.

IF,

You seem to be doing a little spin here. First you emphasized the sex and now it was your teeth. :)

There IS no spin. I asked a straight forward question.

1. I asked what brought you to Thailand.

2. What made you stay.

I replied to both points... and that was the point of the thread. Yes, sex IS important to me and at my age I certainly can't get any in Canada with anyone half way decent. I don't WANT to be married or in a long term relationship. It's just not worth it to me and I'm too old to start again. But, that is only part of what made me want to return to Thailand and stay every winter.

What YOU haven't done is tell when you first came to Thailand and why you stayed. All you've done is try to knock someone else's story.

I can understand people being secretive and not telling anything about themselves. Many people are paranoid. But, they should then stay off internet forums and not make negative comments about others. If there is no interest in any thread it will die a quick death. If people tell a few interesting stories then it will continue. If a forum is only a series of short questions and answers then it will die a slow death of boredom.

When I first came to Thailand I expected to meet a lot of Vietnam war veterans who are now expats, but that hasn't been the case. Maybe the memories of that despicable war are just too bitter for someone to stay in South East Asia.

Touchy, touchy. As for Vietnam vets, there were many in the late 70's early 80's. Many of those who stayed were older and retired, even back then. That would make it quite remarkable if they were still around.

There is a blog section for longer stories and I have used it extensively. Even though my blog was very high on most lists here, the response overall was miniscule when compared to my .com site. I recently removed it from the blog page and nobody seemed to notice.

I could copy and paste from an old Thread but then you would miss all the other interesting stories that you claim interest in. I share just a little in Post #7 at the following link. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Brought-Thailand-t123382.html

I have been coming here for many years and finally got the chance through work to come and live here in the 90's. Travelled all my life as I was a UK service brat but could never find anywhere I wanted to live and definately did not want to stay in the UK.

I loved "old" style Singapore as I spent my very young days there in the 60/70's but hate the new and the closest I could find was Thai or Malaya.

When I moved to Thai I came with my then girlfriend of 5 years but it did not work out and I later met my wife through my work collegues as she owned a factory supplying our company. We married after about a year and this year will celebrate our 10th aniversary.

We have twin daughters who are just over 2 and when they were born I was working out of China, so decided to retire very early and see them grow up as they were all living in Thailand.

Main loves of Thailand - family, weather, food and the people.

Pet dislikes - driving style and "mai pen rai" attitude as relates to accepting almost everything.

I have been coming here for many years and finally got the chance through work to come and live here in the 90's. Travelled all my life as I was a UK service brat but could never find anywhere I wanted to live and definitely did not want to stay in the UK.

I loved "old" style Singapore as I spent my very young days there in the 60/70's but hate the new and the closest I could find was Thai or Malaya.

When I moved to Thai I came with my then girlfriend of 5 years but it did not work out and I later met my wife through my work colleagues as she owned a factory supplying our company. We married after about a year and this year will celebrate our 10th anniversary.

We have twin daughters who are just over 2 and when they were born I was working out of China, so decided to retire very early and see them grow up as they were all living in Thailand.

Main loves of Thailand - family, weather, food and the people.

Pet dislikes - driving style and "mai pen rai" attitude as relates to accepting almost everything.

Congratulation on your 10th. We celebrated our 10th, just last month. Hope you are as happy as we are.

To whom are you referring to old mate? :)

Unfortunately I can't make it today but will be back around the 29th, look forward to seeing you then.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Congratulation on your 10th. We celebrated our 10th, just last month. Hope you are as happy as we are.

Very happy thanks and looking forward to another 10.

Congrats to you both too, it is sadly not often the case these days.

I see that somebody dug up a similar, but 2 year old thread on the main general forum. It had lots of good replies, including some from villagefarang. Had I known that thread existed I wouldn't have started this one. I enjoy reading posts by people who have actually DONE something in their lives other than work. My hat is off to all the veterans of any of the wars. Although I thought the Vietnam war was unnecessary it doesn't take away from the heroism of the men who were sent there to fight. One thing I've found common with many vets is that most of the ones who lived through the nasty stuff don't want to talk about it. I can only imagine the horror some went through. I was saved by an imaginary line drawn between Canada and the USA. I was the perfect age in 1965 to have been sent over seas had I lived 50 miles south of where I did.

Bravo, well said. I'd hate to get cornered by this guy.

I'm A Udon Thani vietnam vet,71-74.I went back to Udon last October.

I'm planning on moving to Thailand.There are problems with the country.

But nothing like the problems the U.S.is having.I'm talking about all

the borrowing it's not sustainable.So anyway i'm planning on retiring in

udon,Chiang Mai,Bangkok,or A beach.

Ian is a cultured man with many interests including art - he paints beautifully - fishing, and nightlife. I much rather be "cornered" by him at a party than some sanctimonious puritanical type. :)

I'm A Udon Thani vietnam vet,71-74.I went back to Udon last October.

I'm planning on moving to Thailand.There are problems with the country.

But nothing like the problems the U.S.is having.I'm talking about all

the borrowing it's not sustainable.So anyway i'm planning on retiring in

udon,Chiang Mai,Bangkok,or A beach.

Welcome thrilled and thank you for your service to our country.

I settled in Chiang Mai for several reasons - small city feel with many larger city activities and assets. I have chosen to live in Thailand for much the same reason you gave - the situation in the US is untenable. Furthermore, people are happier here and easier to get along with. I've established a few friendships and enjoy the atmosphere. Expats are an interesting group generally speaking. They think outside the box and therefore took a risk to uproot from where they were raised to try a completely new and different country. I am proud to be part of that group. A girl originally brought me to Thailand 5 years ago. It didn't work out, but I fell in love with the country.

Ian is a cultured man with many interests including art - he paints beautifully - fishing, and nightlife. I much rather be "cornered" by him at a party than some sanctimonious puritanical type. :)

I'm sure this has no bearing on the OP but sometimes granddaddy displaying pictures of his very young "companions" lessens the value of his other pursuits. Not doubt it makes one a rock-star with certain elements of the granddaddy brigade back home. Seems like a cheap ego boost, though. By all means live the life that makes you happy but perhaps a little discretion or decorum about some things would make one appeal to a broader demographic.

Welcome thrilled and thank you for your service to our country.

I settled in Chiang Mai for several reasons - small city feel with many larger city activities and assets. I have chosen to live in Thailand for much the same reason you gave - the situation in the US is untenable. Furthermore, people are happier here and easier to get along with. I've established a few friendships and enjoy the atmosphere. Expats are an interesting group generally speaking. They think outside the box and therefore took a risk to uproot from where they were raised to try a completely new and different country. I am proud to be part of that group. A girl originally brought me to Thailand 5 years ago. It didn't work out, but I fell in love with the country.

The funny things is, venturalaw, that so many of these adventurous, "outside the box" thinkers do nothing but whinge and complain because things aren't quite as they like and they can't get what they want in the supermarkets. Sad really.