Planing To Open A Restaurant...

sneakery

Hi,i am a foriegner and plan to open a restaurant with my thai gf..

can u guys suggest or guide me?

For Ex:What are the rules to follow?

Do i have to pay any license or tax?

Do i need to inform the gorverment office? Where?

How to start up? Do i have to pay any upfront deposit?

Will it be under my name or we have to share?

Its seem so hard to get a work permit or a real driving license there..

Anyone have any contacts that can help me?

One thing I do know, there should be plenty of restaurants for sale here in Phuket. Every third one is shuttered and the owners have gone home due to no customers, and, in my opinion, over building. Even in good times there are not enough customers/tourists to support the numbers of restaurants. Hope you have a lot of money and can cover your cost of operation for the first couple years. Good luck.

You need to do some serious research, starting perhaps with the web site of the Thai Board of Investment (BOI). For a start find out which business foreigners can or can't operate in Thailand.

Some of the info in the thread below may be relevant to you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Opening-Rest...ok-t259861.html

Sneakery. if you do not know any of the Information asked for. Then give it up as a BAD idea. Most of what you are asking you should know already, or your girlfriend could find out.

Otherwise as other posters have said buy an existing restaurant.

But then try to do something different. Also are you a chef if not who is going to cook, who are your target customers.

Good luck.

I own a restaurant...

Nothing will conjure up looks of envy and awe faster than those four words. People assume (which you should never do because it makes ASS out of U and ME) that owning a restaurant is fun and exciting, a great way to make money and perhaps even become famous. Well, I am here to tell you that owning a restaurant is a lot of hard work more than anything else. While there are definite benefits to being your own boss, there are serious drawbacks as well. Let’s clear the air and dispel some of those pesky restaurant myths that keep popping up...

Want to learn more?!?

All i can say is to be very carefull before you invest in anything, research is crucial and stay away from very bad brokerage/lawyer firms which operates locally, many people here have fallen victims at various degrees of this and other popular "businessman" (or just call it a pig if you prefere), send me a private message if you need to know more and i hope all the best for your enterprise.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,i am a foriegner and plan to open a restaurant with my thai gf..

can u guys suggest or guide me?

For Ex:What are the rules to follow?

Do i have to pay any license or tax?

Do i need to inform the gorverment office? Where?

How to start up? Do i have to pay any upfront deposit?

Will it be under my name or we have to share?

Its seem so hard to get a work permit or a real driving license there..

Anyone have any contacts that can help me?

If I were you I would take time to really look at things and research. Have a look at the Sunbelt Asia site (you can also register for weekly updates) and see how many restaurants are up for sale almost every week. People here are a fickle bunch, I have been to some really great restaurants who simply don't make it because they are slightly off the beaten path. On the other hand I have been to some terrible terrible restaurants that just don't ever die!

As with all these things, location is important but that alone does not guarantee success. Unfortunately if you find a good location it is highly likely you will be asked for a phenomenal amount of 'key money'. My interpretation of 'key money' is: give money to the owner for free as I believe you cannot claim this as a business expense with the revenue department.

Best of luck. There are some truly terrible rip off restaurants in Bangkok, especially in lower Sukhumvit, but there are also some great places.

I have to agree with LazyGourmet on his words of wisdom there. I have run 5-6 restaurants and pub/restaurants for other people. its hard work, long hours and not many days off. when you do get a day off you had better hope the restaurant is closed as well just so you do not have to worry whats going on in there.

the questions you ask in your post are very small things compared to what you will be worrying about once your open.

dont do it, unless you know what you are doing.

1)...Have a look at the Sunbelt Asia site (you can also register for weekly updates)

2) There are some truly terrible rip off restaurants in Bangkok

1) But before you do(if you really have to),please just send me a private message, so, as a former customer, i can tell you exactly what this company is all about(and i am absolutely sure you want to know about it), just as a curiosity, do anybody else noticed that once you join this "updates list" then you can NEVER get rid of it again? as it seems that the function to take you off the mailing list has been conveniently disabled, not surprised at all by this as it seems to be perfectly in line with the working ethic of the company

2) Yes and let me add that there are some truly scams going on with some brokerage/legal firms in BKK, unfortunately many people only discover this after the worse has happen...and i promise i will do my best to make sure i can save as many people as i possibly can! It's a man on a mission here :)

I run a Thai Restaurant in Dublin. One thing you need to realise is that its like looking after a baby that never grows up.......

Brave to open one in Bangkok.....so many great restaurants, the best in the world. So much competition. I remember being at one called "The Gusto", a modern looking one in Bangkok. Best food and service I had anywhere in the world. Little bakery shop beside it where they got the deserts from. Owner came to join our party.

Thailand is another level completely in terms of food.

Also keep in mind that advice you get here in TV is sometimes biased.

Some are quick to mock law firms and business brokers as others are swearing the same companies offered them professional service with reasonable price.

Then there are members promoting their own businesses in form of advice or answers to questions.

Best advice so far you have been given is let it go and forget about it. If you have to ask these basic questions here in the forum i doubt it will work. And answer to your questions is simply yes. You need registered company and you need to pay your taxes. To drive a car you need a thai licence and it can not be get with "connections". Easiest way is to convert your home country licence to thai one. Takes half a day but is fairly easy.

• 8 months later...