Price For A Unit Of Electricity In Phuket ?

GraemeF

Can anybody assist with current pricing for domestic usage ?

If you are in your own house/apartment the price is 3,5 baht/unit.

If you stay in a rented condo or guesthouse or long term rooms for rent is between 5 and 8 baht/unit.

Depends on the powersupply/meter.

100 Amp single phase government we pay 4,04 baht/kwh

In a project with huge 3 phase meter there are 3 different prices depending on what time of the day. Average is 3,6 baht/kwh

both prices include tax and vat

Was looking around for a new apartment not long ago.

Price per unit ranged from 5 baht to 10.

But several serviced apartments charged 15 baht per unit! Now, THAT is crazy...

Its best if your place has its own meter from the government.

Cheers.

Can somebody explain the huge differencies in price charged per unit (other than greed!)

Are there any genuine reasons why some properties are charged more than others by the power supplier, as opposed to the landlord?

Can somebody explain the huge differencies in price charged per unit (other than greed!)

Are there any genuine reasons why some properties are charged more than others by the power supplier, as opposed to the landlord?

As I mentioned.. Lots..

Development meters are charged higher rates than final meters.. Often developers put the temporary supply up when building and never bother to finish as a 'gov meter' is another multi 1000 cost. Thats whats on my house and I will only pay the base price and my landlord makes up the difference.

Or developments fit a single transformer and have a commercial price and they have to budget in costs of transformer replacement (they go pop in case you havent noticed) my old development was 3 phase and like this. Its very common in fact to have the central power supplied to a development and then meters to each house but a single bill to the gov for the developer, householder administration and late payment must all be processed, bills collected, etc etc This takes time and maybe an employee, costs on top of the electric costs.

Sometimes in the crazy TiT systems a commercial supply is installed even tho it goes ultimately to residential.. So the costs are commercial costs..

Its just another example of how corruption, confusion and poor logic makes a fine mess.

1.1.2 Consumption exceeding 150 KWh. per month

Service charge: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40.90

First 150 KWh. (0 - 150th) . . . . . . 1.8047

Next 250 KWh. (151st - 400th) . . . 2.7781

Over 400 KWh. (401st - up) . . . . . . 2.9780

+ FT ( http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/page.php?name=FT )

+ 7% tax.

http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/page.php?name=Residential

The power supplyer charges different prices for different meters. A 5/15 meter, sufficient to run one aircon or one hotwater (but not at the same time!!) has a low unit price, while a 100 Amp meter is 4 baht/kwh (unit).

a temp meter, like in projects no one want to pay for perm meters, unit price is over 6 baht.

I pay 8 baht :)

However, I don't pay for water and there is a management firm that takes care of everything for me.

yes, I know I overpay by about 2baht and it can add up, but once I factor in the "freebies" and water, along with my minimal consumption, it works for me since I only rent a 1 bedroom. Part of my charge covers common areas I think and it includes taxes, If I was in a nice house like the grownups in here, I'd be demanding a reduction.

Never heard of a 5/15 meter but can see some logic in that for low end Thai housing..

After having no bill for a year (my house was just wired in without a meter) they fitted a project meter.. And the landlord is sorting it out..

The power supplyer charges different prices for different meters. A 5/15 meter, sufficient to run one aircon or one hotwater (but not at the same time!!) has a low unit price, while a 100 Amp meter is 4 baht/kwh (unit).

a temp meter, like in projects no one want to pay for perm meters, unit price is over 6 baht.

"The power supplyer charges different prices for different meters". Really? What bill are you paying?

If the bill is direct from the PEA, you will be paying the fixed rates that I posted before, irrespective of the type of meter.

If you are paying someone else, you could pay anything that is in the contract.

Edited by JetsetBkk

"The power supplyer charges different prices for different meters". Really? What bill are you paying?

If the bill is direct from the PEA, you will be paying the fixed rates that I posted before, irrespective of the type of meter.

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

Thats 5 grades I can think of right now..

Edited by LivinLOS

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

Yes, you are correct. I presumed he was still talking about domestic supplies on different meters. The link to the Residential schedule ( http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/page.php?name=Residential ) has a drop down menu to all 8 tariffs.

There is even a downloadable PDF file with details of all the tariffs: http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/downloadable/e...ricityrates.pdf

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

And single phase

5/15 A. which is LOS most common meter. Runs TV, fridge, fans, light. Everyone countryside has this. Cheapest unit price

10/30 A. most common in developments like Phuket Villa 1-5, Dowrong, California etc

15/45 A Farang exclusive starts here

30/60.

30/100 A

All the above are government meters payed directly to government with different unitprices depending on which meter you have.

And single phase

5/15 A. which is LOS most common meter. Runs TV, fridge, fans, light. Everyone countryside has this. Cheapest unit price

10/30 A. most common in developments like Phuket Villa 1-5, Dowrong, California etc

30/60.

30/100 A

All the above are government meters payed directly to government with different unitprices depending on which meter you have.

My meters says "30(100)". Is that the same as "30/100 A" and what is its difference in capacity vs "10/30 A" listed above? Thanks.

And single phase

30/60.

30/100 A

My meters says "30(100)". Is that the same as "30/100 A" and what is its difference in capacity vs "10/30 A" listed above? Thanks.

30(100) A is a very large single phase meter. 100 Amp at 220 Volt is 22 Kwatt. Sufficient to run 10 aircons, hotwater, poolpumps, stove you name it. Your intake cables should be 25mm2 in air or 35mm2 copper underground to cope with this power.

More than 3 times capacity vs 10(30)A, which is 6,6 Kwatt.

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

Yes, you are correct. I presumed he was still talking about domestic supplies on different meters. The link to the Residential schedule ( http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/page.php?name=Residential ) has a drop down menu to all 8 tariffs.

There is even a downloadable PDF file with details of all the tariffs: http://www.pea.co.th/th/eng/downloadable/e...ricityrates.pdf

But my point is.. Your normal house in Phuket can be connected to any of these..

I have had all the above in my time on Phuket.

And thats without the capacity meter issues all given to residential homes as listed directly above..

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

The link for the Residential Schedule is out of date. The last update was December 2007. I think tariffs have gone up a bit since then.

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

The link for the Residential Schedule is out of date. The last update was December 2007. I think tariffs have gone up a bit since then.

20-30%.

As I said a single phase government 100 Amp meter is now 4,04 baht/unit incl Ft and VAT.

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

But my point is.. Your normal house in Phuket can be connected to any of these..

And thats without the capacity meter issues all given to residential homes as listed directly above..

My experience is different. I've stayed in 5 places in Phuket. In Patong I rented a penthouse and the electricity was included in the rent, so I don't know what the rate was. In the other 4 houses, the electricity charge was at the residential rate.

I think if anyone is being charged at a different rate for a purely residential dwelling, then they need to take it up with the PEA. One of those other rates on the PEA website is for "business-cum-residential". :)

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

Yes, the last update was December 2007.

No, the residential rates haven't changed 1 satang since 2006.

What has changed is the FT - it goes up and down like a tarts drawers. :)

20-30%.

As I said a single phase government 100 Amp meter is now 4,04 baht/unit incl Ft and VAT.

0% change.

If you give more details of the units used and cost, I can tell you what rate you're on. Providing an average of 4.04 makes it impossible for me to work it out.

Not true..

3 phase

grouped supplies

commercial supplies

development meters

normal home

My experience is different. I've stayed in 5 places in Phuket. In Patong I rented a penthouse and the electricity was included in the rent, so I don't know what the rate was. In the other 4 houses, the electricity charge was at the residential rate.

I think if anyone is being charged at a different rate for a purely residential dwelling, then they need to take it up with the PEA. One of those other rates on the PEA website is for "business-cum-residential". :)

Which residential rate ??

The rate your billed depends on the meter.. You want a different rate, pay the install costs on a new meter..

Its cheaper for my landlord to pay the difference between 4 baht and the billed price than it is to have the ne meter installed for the time being.

20-30%.

0% change.

If you give more details of the units used and cost, I can tell you what rate you're on. Providing an average of 4.04 makes it impossible for me to work it out.

You may say the price for electricity has not changed, but since its not possible to purchase electricity without the constant increasing Ft, the total price of electricity on my PEA bills have increased with 18 % from June 2007 to june 2009. At least for my 4 properties in Phuket.

But I m not complaining. Its reasonable. If I run a fridge, tv, fan and waterpump like they do countryside, its almost free.

For my largest house with 10 aircons I have to pay 4,04 baht/unit.