4000 Usd Shopping

Suzyy

Hi,

We are going to Bangkok next month and I would like to ask if 4000 USD is enough for 2 people to do some good clothes shopping?!?! I don't have a clue about thai currency and how much things costs there... anyone can answer?

thanks alot...

honestly guys... I never been there, how can I know about shopping there, all I heard Is that "there is cheap"....

Colinm thanks alot... very helpful ! People like that on forum just bring me down so much !

I think it all depends on what you’re looking at buying. $4,000 is around 130,000 Baht at current rates.

If you shop in the big retail stores like Robinsons etc the prices will be close to what you pay in western countries. Body Glove have specials on polo neck shirts of 2 for 950 or less Baht for example. Larger sizes are more readily found in department stores.

If for example you go through the rabbit warren of clothing shops across the road from Siam Paragon you can find cheaper but still good quality clothing. Most of these shops carry a range of smaller sizes with tailored ladies trousers etc from 250 Baht upwards. Expect dresses and blouses to be around 1,000 Baht sometimes cheaper or more expensive. If you walk through this area you will eventually end up in MBK with a choice of Central department store and other shops.

Other shopping areas include Pratunam with prices similar to the shops across from Siam Paragon. Along Sukhumvit road you’ll find plenty of cheap general clothing with quality that goes with the price.

suzyy

if you know what you want, the kind of things that would satisfy your needs and the needs of those you intend to bestow, and you want the local manufactured stuff--not the imported stuff, then your 4k usd would probably be more than enough for a couple of days.

after freshened up, get a taxi and head toward pra-too-num (pra-tu--gate, num--water) around the corner of indra hotel, you can shop til your heart's content.... lol

just remember to bargain and do not be shy about bargaining.... better yet, enlist a thai friend or two to help you carry your stuff and help you negotiate.... lol

pra-tu-num is one of the shopper's paradises in clothings. after which if you and your friends still have extraordinary energy left, head for sum-peng near china town.... i am already exhausted just thinking about how much fun you are going to have.... and how much sweat you are going to sacrifice.... lol

other stuff such as electronics are available else where not too far from pratunum and i shall not monopolize this topic. other more seasoned shoppers surely will be able to assist you as well. have fun in thailand, ladies.

pls do keep your money and valueables hidden inside your clothings at all time. stay focus on what you are doing, so the crooks can not divert your attention and depart with your valuables, ok?

if you desire

honestly guys... I never been there, how can I know about shopping there, all I heard Is that "there is cheap"....

Colinm thanks alot... very helpful ! People like that on forum just bring me down so much !

Suzy...I live in Los Angeles. I am retired so I travel to Thailand about every 3 months. I like to dress nice and to be honest the designer clothing here in USA is so much cheaper. I would rather shop at Macy's or Nordstroms. I would never buy any clothing in Thailand except t-shirts. I actually buy everything for my females friends here because such good price. But if you don't care about designer clothing then I think you can get good buys.

that's more helpfull... thanks guys !!

I don't really care if it's gucci or ... who knows what- as long as its not the worse quality...

Nakachalet, thanks alot, I ll surely stop by Partunam Area. Thanks.

How about Siam Paragon and MBK? are there cheap stuffs ...??

In Bangkok, with $4,000, you should be able to buy so much clothing that you won't be able to carry it home!

The south end of MBK Center's 3rd floor is a mass of clothing stalls.

Through the pedestrian tube, across Phayathai from MBK, is Bonanza and Siam Square. This is another area for good shopping. Mostly younger stuff.

Although everyone will sell retail, Pratunam is a "wholesale" district. You can save real baht when you buy multiple items.

Much of the stuff will be from the same factories that manufacture the "designer" stuff. It just hasn't been discovered and labeled yet!

Then again, some of it is junk.