Hi All,

Has anyone here bought Thai gold in BKK? I'm sure Chinatown is the place to go, I want to buy small amounts of gold 2 or 5 baht "bars" I have seen them shaped like chinese boats or more plain.

What is the best "shape" to buy and does it matter which shop you buy from? do prices vary much?

Can anyone reccomend a shop?

Thanx in advance for any help.

Far too many good gold-shops on Thanon Yaowarat to list. Most all that post gold-prices daily are reputable. You will pay for the labor above the posted price of the gold, no matter what you purchase. "Boats" of precious metals are a bit fancier than the plain ingots, so you will pay more for those. Good luck. Prices are currently high, but most likely will go higher.....chok dee.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great question, I was just thinking to post the same thing. I am interested in doing the same, purchasing 2 to 3 baht of gold per month going forward as a bit of a hedge on currency. I just purchased 4 baht in bracelets because this was easiest from the shop I like to use, paid 62,190 baht for it, so the price was a bit high. I would really like to purchase just the rectangles or some other shape as I don't wear this, just hold on to it and sell when the price changes enough to make it worth it. :)

One thing I can add, if you purchase your gold with a credit card they will add the service charge to the gold shop pays on top of the price for the gold, so it may be from 2% to 4% depending on which card you use.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I want to buy 2 gold wedding rings. Are there any rules on quality or what to avoid?

Is it sold on weight? as a ring. How much should a normal man's band cost? No diamonds.

My local mall (part of Big C) has a shop, but it's quite glitzy. Are there different shops in terms of quality?

Thanks

Eddy