I Can Handle It

wasabi

Suppose I go to a Thai restaurant and ask for spicy food and the waiter looks back at me concerned. If I want to say don't worry I can handle it how would I say this?

I know ทนไม่ไหว is I can't handle it so would ไม่ต้องห่วงผมทนไหว be ok?

Also what does ทนไว้ mean if anything.

Suppose I go to a Thai restaurant and ask for spicy food and the waiter looks back at me concerned. If I want to say don't worry I can handle it how would I say this?

Instead of saying "Don't worry, I can tolerate it" (which might be confusing as it is a slangy use of english), why don't you simply say you like spicy food and add how spicy you want it, medium, hot, very hot?

Instead of saying "Don't worry, I can tolerate it" (which might be confusing as it is a slangy use of english), why don't you simply say you like spicy food and add how spicy you want it, medium, hot, very hot?

The ไม่ต้องห่วง isn't important but I do want to know how to say I can handle it for this and many other situations.

The ไม่ต้องห่วง isn't important but I do want to know how to say I can handle it for this and many other situations.

How about a simple "mai penrai" ???? wouldn't that be sufficient in that situation when someone asks you??

in the situation like this you can simply say "ไม่เป็นไร ผมทานได้" (mai pen rai, phom ta-an dai)

means it's okay, i can eat that

------

you use ทนไว้ when you're handling something and you have to continue handling it.

for example: You're carrying a heavy box from the shop to your apartment about 20 blocks. You're so tired you can't put it down at that time.

So you have to "ทนไว้".

For many 'problem/issue' situations ฉันรับมือไหว is good for "I can handle it". For hot food, ฉันกินเป็น or ฉันกินเผ็ดได้ or simply ฉันชอบกินเผ็ด will all work. ทนได้/ทนไหว is okay too, however I'd avoid it in situations where you definitely don't want to give any impression that you're putting up with something you don't like.

ทนไว้ is something you might say to someone in a hard predicament, meaning "stick in there" or something similar. Is this the term you wanted to know, or ทนไหว?

aanon

ps. I just noticed oaikabob gave a different type of example for ทนไว้, also good.

Thanks everyone. I understand these two aren't really appropriate for eating spicy food but is this the difference between

ทนไหว and ทนไว้

ทนไหว maybe you are watching a scary Thai movie but you tell your concerned girlfriend you can handle it by saying ทนไหว

ทนไว้ you are running a marathon and you tell your concerned girlfriend cheering you on that you can endure the challenge by saying ทนไว้

yes?

Thanks everyone. I understand these two aren't really appropriate for eating spicy food but is this the difference between

ทนไหว and ทนไว้

ทนไหว maybe you are watching a scary Thai movie but you tell your concerned girlfriend you can handle it by saying ทนไหว

ทนไว้ you are running a marathon and you tell your concerned girlfriend cheering you on that you can endure the challenge by saying ทนไว้

yes?

ทนไหว: I am able to endure it.

ทนไว้: Endure it!