Mini/micro Hifi

st11x

G'day,

I am looking to buy a set of those. I was at PowerBuy at the Airport Plaza yesterday and they carry a Yamaha system for 24K which I find is too expensive. That same model sold 3 years back for nearly half its price elsewhere. however, it sounded great though.

Any suggestions on where else to look? Neo is out of my league.

Thanks

Matt

G'day,

I am looking to buy a set of those. I was at PowerBuy at the Airport Plaza yesterday and they carry a Yamaha system for 24K which I find is too expensive. That same model sold 3 years back for nearly half its price elsewhere. however, it sounded great though.

Any suggestions on where else to look? Neo is out of my league.

Thanks

Matt

You get what you pay for. Yamaha is very good and Bose is even better.

If you want something for Baht 2 - 3K go to Big C, Makro, Carrefour or Lotus.

You get what you pay for.

If you want something for Baht 2 - 3K go to Big C, Makro, Carrefour or Lotus.

And find out at your leisure that it's absolute rubbish. The voice of a disappointed customer. Next time I think I'll try Siam TV.

Hi Matt,

I am considering a Sony system myself from Siam Electric. It's Model No. MHC-GNZR5D and is more affordable @ 7900 Baht. You may want to check it out and take a listen. It will play most media including a USB drive. It has a fairly powerful amplifier for its size and the speakers sound great. Sony makes good quality electronics.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We had bad experiences with Siam TV so we won't be going back there. Last time we bought a TV from them, they sent a display set not once but twice. Took us mountains of paper work and an hour at the office to get our money back.

The PowerBuy guys seem to be pushing Onkyo and Sherman. I am now tossing between the Yamaha YHT-363 or the HT-S3200. Elektrified, I am looking more for the "clean" look. The Sony looks too busy for me.

Matt

Sorry to ask a question that's a little beside the topic, but in general why do people still buy hifi sets? Isn't it just a case of buying an amplifier and speakers and connecting an iPod (or similar) player? Or is it that it's part of a home theatre system that includes DVD / Blu Ray playback?

I'm assuming you're talking music only, and not video.

Here's a suggestion:

use Apple's Airport Extreme to set up a home wi-fi network. Airport Extreme works with both Macs and PC's, I think.

Buy an inexpensive airport express (3k baht ) to extend your wifi system. Then all you need is a good pair of speakers, for example from Altec Lansing or Harman Kardon. You can then stream music wirelessly to anywhere in your house or garden from your iTunes Library on your computer.

You'll have wifi and music streaming for less than 24k